In Morton, a lecture on The disappearing art of falling big timber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would make a long weekend of it and go if I'd been planning on going to cabin this weekend, Morton only 20 min away from my 'woodlot'.

Unless Hwy 12 is still being patched -- sat for 35 min 2 weeks ago on Mayfield bridge waiting for flagman to turn the sign.

Would make a long weekend of it and go if I'd been planning on going to cabin this weekend, Morton only 20 min away from my 'woodlot'.

Unless Hwy 12 is still being patched -- sat for 35 min 2 weeks ago on Mayfield bridge waiting for flagman to turn the sign.

The pavers were at the Mossyrock light on Friday afternoon. It was raining so I don't think they made much progress. There is a backroad, you know.

Thanks for the road update.

A backroad I don't know? What is there into Morton besides 508, 12, and 7 ?

There are a couple byways parallel to 12 for some parts (e.g. Longbell from Winston to Mossyrock) but more trouble than a 30 min wait.

508 used to be called, by some locals, the East County Flyway. I use it a lot. Unfortunately, it is getting used more while the paving is going on. It's my go to road on holiday weekends.

2nd oldest grandson was on his learners permit this summer. Drove with him down to Morton on 7 past Alder lake in the land rover. Grandson said that stretch sure kept him alert !

It was a good presentation. Many of the wannabes should get to listen and watch it. Several guys in the audience were introduced as equals and one of them had started falling around here before chainsaws were used. He showed a video of the falling of the snag that turned into the pile of toothpicks posted in this thread. The snag was 11 feet in diameter and he was excited to get to fall it because he figured it would be the last really big tree for him.

He stressed how one has to take time on the face cut. In the video, he was stopping and checking with his sights. The tree was actually pinching his saw while doing the horizontal face cut. This is kind of humorous--he explained that he used his small saw to start the cut. The small saw had a 40+ inch bar on it.

He explained how he had (and it was in the video) actually lie down on the ground to get the sloping part of the face cut in. He also explained controlling the speed of the fall by making a large face cut. Plus it was a humboldt. The snag had a lot of rot in it and started going over before he was done with the back cut. At that point, he swiped off his hardhat to take a good look, yelled at everybody, threw his saw out of the way and got the heck out of there. That part of the video is Blair Witch like as the camera person is running too. The tree goes where it was supposed to go.

He and the other fallers explained about their pride in their work. They talked about falling being more dangerous now because where they were falling 8 to 10 trees per day, fallers in the smaller diameter timber of today are exposed 100 or more times per day and do not have the experience of bucking logs before learning to fall.

Admission was free and it was a good show. I had hoped he would show the falling of that snag.

Maybe he'll do something again. I thought it was well attended for being in the middle of a weekday.

There was a woman who had just moved to the area from.......Texas and made the comment that only men could fall. One of the fallers turned around and said his two daughters are certified fallers for the state.

Most young men think they are invincible. I guess that is why we readily send them to war. I know at least one young lady with the same mind set or at least talks like she is - thinks her dad is old and stupid too. I love her anyway. :) Ron

Latest posts

Back