Oak tree fungus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip Jarvis

Reaction score
IMG_3767.JPG IMG_0278.JPG IMG_3768.JPG IMG_3788.jpg IMG_3778.jpg I have this huge 100 year old oak tree in my back yard which I noticed last year had conks growing on the roots at the base of the trunk. Based on my own internet research I believe it is what's called "inonotus dryadeus" weeping conk fungus. I'm concerned about the potential hazard this poses as I cannot afford to have the tree removed.

The plant itself looks healthy enough but the presence of so many basidiocarps (reproductive bodies) hints at Root Rot caused by said fungus, and pretty widespread one as well.
The plant may be able to live, and in good shape, for several more years but you have to prepare for the worst: most Red oaks have a life expectancy of 60-90 years according to species so what you are seeing may be closely tied to senescence. Like us, when a tree gets old it becomes less and less able to keep diseases as bay.
I'd suggest enjoying the tree while you can but start saving up for when the time to take it down will come...

Get in touch with a local consulting arborist or BCMA rather than a company that does primarily tree removals. A proper tree risk assessment is in order. That looks like Inonotus decay but a thorough diagnosis and prognosis should be had.

Back