I have a Stump Grinding Question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I traded for it in February of this year. I like it. I have been running Carltons since I started. I have had good luck with them. My first was a 2500-4 and the one I traded in was a sp4012. The 5014 I have is not a tracked model. I would highly recommend one with wireless remote. It is expensive but you will regret not getting it.

I am 49 and this is my side gig as well. I started with a small 20hp Levco, but it thrashed my elbows, which are bad anyways. Bought a tired Rayco super jr, paid for itself and a new motor in a coupleof weeks. I do clean up as well, but as I get older, I might farm that out. I used to wrench full time, so maintenance and repairs is no big deal for me. All my equipment was paid for until I sprung for a 2016 Rayco RG45X. I love that thing! No remote. I had to look at all my income before I sprung for it. I'm happy where I am with my business, but prices up here will allow for how I work.

I am 49 and this is my side gig as well. I started with a small 20hp Levco, but it thrashed my elbows, which are bad anyways. Bought a tired Rayco super jr, paid for itself and a new motor in a coupleof weeks. I do clean up as well, but as I get older, I might farm that out. I used to wrench full time, so maintenance and repairs is no big deal for me. All my equipment was paid for until I sprung for a 2016 Rayco RG45X. I love that thing! No remote. I had to look at all my income before I sprung for it. I'm happy where I am with my business, but prices up here will allow for how I work.

Nice, we got the remote,
Jeff :cheers:

After stump grinding for eight years I still look at the lawn contractors and think how nice it would be to just have a lawn mower, edger, blower to
maintain/replace/run.

Stump grinders use stuff, cutters/ shoulders/air cleaners/belts/hydraulic oil-filters-drive motors/ main engine fuel-oil-filters etc etc.

I thoroughly enjoyed the work but sometimes the profitability needs to be closely looked at before taking the step of buying a grinder.

After stump grinding for eight years I still look at the lawn contractors and think how nice it would be to just have a lawn mower, edger, blower to
maintain/replace/run.

Stump grinders use stuff, cutters/ shoulders/air cleaners/belts/hydraulic oil-filters-drive motors/ main engine fuel-oil-filters etc etc.

I thoroughly enjoyed the work but sometimes the profitability needs to be closely looked at before taking the step of buying a grinder.
Well I have been doing lawns for quite a while, it all gets old at times and the maintenance is still there, if you work with machinery you are always going to have that, the plus side is I like doing that. When I look at a stump grinder I think to my self, that is a pretty simple machine. But everyone talks about them being high maintenance. I know you have the teeth, belts, bearings that go bad on a regular basis, but what else?

I spent eleven years doing Stumpgrinding as a side job (along with being a fireman paramedic). After I retired from the FD, it became my full time job with the most flexibility I've ever had in my life. I loved it. Until I broke my back. I'm still recovering from the surgery three weeks ago, have since sold my Stumpgrinder and am looking for a new career at doesn't involve trees. It's sad and difficult for me to deal with but I am hoping I can land something I enjoy. Thinking real estate agent or something like that. I've been a grunt my entire life. I don't even own a suit or any nice clothes! Anyhow, good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add - large chainsaw for cutting off high stumps.

The reason everyone is saying "high maintenance" - compared to a lot of machines they are.

Your decision, good luck with it :)

Well I have been doing lawns for quite a while, it all gets old at times and the maintenance is still there, if you work with machinery you are always going to have that, the plus side is I like doing that. When I look at a stump grinder I think to my self, that is a pretty simple machine. But everyone talks about them being high maintenance. I know you have the teeth, belts, bearings that go bad on a regular basis, but what else?

Stumpers will vibrate themselves to death. So think of what can go wrong due to vibration - electrical connections, hydraulic fittings. It can also depend on the machine you get. We had a vermeer with a Briggs/Diahatsu diesel and it blew up 3 times.

It's seldom anything huge, it's little things many many times.

The large saw cannot be overstated. You will get MANY customers that have hired a fly by night "tree guy" with a wild thingy or a homeowner that cut the tree themselves. 4' stumps are commonplace and stumps are the worst part of the tree to cut. Be prepared to have stumps that you will have to sharpen your chain 4 or 5 times on. Be prepared to hit t-posts and rebar that will tear up a chain or two.

Is is safe to say the more heavy the machine is less vibration? Better off you will be?
Stumpers will vibrate themselves to death. So think of what can go wrong due to vibration - electrical connections, hydraulic fittings. It can also depend on the machine you get. We had a vermeer with a Briggs/Diahatsu diesel and it blew up 3 times.

It's seldom anything huge, it's little things many many times.

Is a 261 big enough? Depends on the size of the stumps in your area. I would say no, but I don't know your market. I would think you want at minimum a 460, preferably a 660.

I would say no, a heavy machine would not have less vibration. A heavy machine would have more power, so you'll hit the stump harder. It just wont vibrate as long per stump.

Is a big heavy machine a benefit, again it depends on your market. If you are working in yards that are quite soft, you may be dealing with ruts in the grass all the time. Problem? Again, depends on the market. A high end super fussy market - yes.

Again, I would suggest you try it out. Maybe rent one for a week, line up a few jobs - even for a loss and see how you do. There are definitiely tricks to make yourself more efficient (aka profitable).

Also don't forget rakes and blowers, even if you don't do cleanup, you should leave the property neat.

My customers seem to be most impressed when I explain that I not only grind the stump but I bring in topsoil to regrade after cleanup and throw down grass seed.

It is more effort but great service is the best advertising.

Yep, a big saw will be a help. I have a Stihl 261, its better than nothing and works on most of my stumps that are high. Sharpening blades are part of the gig. I agree, a remote would be nice, but for my set up, un-justifiable. Local pricing is a big part of it all, my area, it works.

Bob

I retired from a large company ten years ago. I planned to never work another day in my life. We had an ice storm in Oklahoma City about eight years ago and I lost 65 trees. I bought a stump grinder to do the work myself and found that I could make some extra money to supplement my income. I am now on my third stump grinder which is a large wheeled unit. This is the best gig I can imagine. There are a ton of things to learn about this business but it is simple. If you have back problems, I would be hesitant unless you get a remote controlled unit. It took me about twenty five hours of grinding to learn all the nuances of the remote control and the controls on the stump grinder. I have six hundred hours on this machine now and can make it dance. There are many things that can put you out of business real quick in this business but two things I always mention are that if you overcharge people you will not get the work and if you undercharge people you won't last long at all. I have been very successful in this business and I could make the same amount of money with a smaller machine but it would take much longer. I am 69 years old and hope to continue this for a long time. I always had a good job but this is the first job I have ever had that I love. For sure, don't listen to just me. There are plenty of guys on this board who HATE stump grinding.

I retired from a large company ten years ago. . It took me about twenty five hours of grinding to learn all the nuances of the remote control and the controls on the stump grinder. I have six hundred hours on this machine now and can make it dance. .

I've seen guys with a couple of hours experience make it dance, roll over, do tricks... :crazy2:

Back