• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Large Milling Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyR_VA

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guys. I'm sort of new here, but I've been lurking a long time. I've learned a ton from these forums so thanks for that.

I've decided that I'm ready to do some milling. I eventually want to build a timber frame barn with some trees on my property, but that'll be a few years done the road. Right now my project is red oak slab table. I have a 43" red oak with a 50ish" crotch that uprooted a few years ago. Laying perfectly off the ground and ready to be cut up and milled. It'll be 13' at the most.

So I'm looking for a 3120, 880/088/090 or maybe even a 395 if it would handle a 50"+ milling setup. I'm not really looking for a project, but I don't require minty either. It seems like I can get a ported 395 new for $1375 (via Mastermind), but that's a lot of money, especially once I start adding in a large b&c and the mill setup. I don't have a preset budget, but my goal is to get a great deal (just like everyone else I guess). I won't be milling all that often. Just some side projects when I get the time.

I'll also looking for a 28"+ b&c and a 56"+ milling b&c.

I did speak with Uldis. I mostly just want to see what else might be out there, but I'm a little concerned that his saw would be more of a project than I would want to take on.

I have 090's here but it is apparent you would like to buy a saw at a lower price

I have 090's here but it is apparent you would like to buy a saw at a lower price
I don't mind buying a 090 for a good price. But they seem to be a collectors item and most of the ones I've seen sold seem to have a collectors premium to them.

What are you looking to get for yours and what kind of shape are they in?

I blew up (well, the ring went) an 084 recently and had a second that was in almost new shape. Then I bought another one that was ported... can anyone say "CAD"?

Anyway, I'm having one saw put together and possibly ported and will then end up with a second which I am considering having re-built. Once that happens (today? I think?) I will likely have a saw for sale. Take a look at my posts over in the milling section for what all can be handled by an 084.

Hey JimmyR, I'm in Madison. The pawn shop in Orange, VA used to have a 3120 for sale, haven't been in real recently but might be worth checking.

I blew up (well, the ring went) an 084 recently and had a second that was in almost new shape. Then I bought another one that was ported... can anyone say "CAD"?

Anyway, I'm having one saw put together and possibly ported and will then end up with a second which I am considering having re-built. Once that happens (today? I think?) I will likely have a saw for sale. Take a look at my posts over in the milling section for what all can be handled by an 084.

Yea, I'd definitely be interested in something like that. Let me know the details.

Also, I read through your recent post with BobL. While I'm definitely going to need to read at least page 3 again, I learned a ton from it. Thanks!

Hey JimmyR, I'm in Madison. The pawn shop in Orange, VA used to have a 3120 for sale, haven't been in real recently but might be worth checking.

Thanks for the heads up. I tried calling, but they have apparently gone out of business.

Where in Madison are you? I grew up on Piney Mountain north of the airport on 29. Spent a lot of time running and hiking in the SNP in Madison.

Yea, I'd definitely be interested in something like that. Let me know the details.

Also, I read through your recent post with BobL. While I'm definitely going to need to read at least page 3 again, I learned a ton from it. Thanks!
You should thank BobL more than me, but I appreciate the sentiment. It is incredible how much difference properly sharpening the chain makes; don't underestimate it. I'll let you know when I know more about my saws. Good luck.

Where in Madison are you? I grew up on Piney Mountain north of the airport on 29. Spent a lot of time running and hiking in the SNP in Madison.
I'm in Aroda, sort of between Madison and Orange. Ever hike old rag Mtn? That's a fun one, lots of rocks to scramble over!

I'm in Aroda, sort of between Madison and Orange. Ever hike old rag Mtn? That's a fun one, lots of rocks to scramble over!

Only deal I ever had go south on e-Bay was a seller in Aroda. Lots of folks got stuck, I called the Sheriff and he sent deputies out twice and I got my money back. I think everyone else got taken.

One of my favorite runs is to start at White Oak Canyon and go to the top of Hawksbill, north on the AT with a refueling stop at Skyland, detour to Stoney Man, back on the AT to Corbin Cutoff and then bomb down Nicholson Hollow. Usually take the fire road back to the saddle at Old Rag then bomb down Berry Hollow back to White Oak.

Only deal I ever had go south on e-Bay was a seller in Aroda. Lots of folks got stuck, I called the Sheriff and he sent deputies out twice and I got my money back. I think everyone else got taken.

One of my favorite runs is to start at White Oak Canyon and go to the top of Hawksbill, north on the AT with a refueling stop at Skyland, detour to Stoney Man, back on the AT to Corbin Cutoff and then bomb down Nicholson Hollow. Usually take the fire road back to the saddle at Old Rag then bomb down Berry Hollow back to White Oak.
I promise the ebay person wasn't me lol! That's too bad, was it chainsaws or something else?
That hike sounds more ambitious than I've ever been! Not real familiar with all those trails but it sounds like a lot of miles.

I promise the ebay person wasn't me lol! That's too bad, was it chainsaws or something else?
That hike sounds more ambitious than I've ever been! Not real familiar with all those trails but it sounds like a lot of miles.

It was an old STP Oil Treatment rack from the early '60's. The round trip I laid out is about 25 miles (a bit longer if you start at the lower Old Rag parking lot).

Pick up a set of PATC maps and the guidebook and you will be good to go.

Back