Biggest wood for a 441cm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1332

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know it can pull a 32" bar but how big of wood can it cut through without being a dog? Can I cut 4'-5' diameter without taking all day?

I know it can pull a 32" bar but how big of wood can it cut through without being a dog? Can I cut 4'-5' diameter without taking all day?
New Jersey has wood that big? Skip chain maybe to make sharpening faster. Have it ported perhaps. I personally enjoy every moment I get to have my big saws bucking big wood full throttle, doesn't happen enough for me. If I was a pro big wood logger I'm sure it would get old and just want it done as fast as can be. Watch a video on YouTube of your saw with max bar burried cutting then double the time for having to cut the other side.

If you are cutting hardwood and wanting to run a 32" bar you are going to want a 90cc saw. My suggestion would be to run a 24" and cut from both sides...I have cut trees up to 4' DBH with a 372 but it was at its limits in oak.

Take all day long? No. But if you have a lot, it will get old fast. I certainly wouldn't recommend falling trees of that size with it.

Bucking a lot or falling get a bigger saw. I know of no cheaper or plentiful large saw than a McCulloch SP125 or 125C. Heavy to carry but just sit it on the log and let it go in ordinary bucking.

Just my experience and perspective as a firewood cutter who often advocates that a 60cc saw is an ideal one saw plan for most.

Disclaimer: I've never run your model, but I have run equivalent modern Huskies and old MACs.

Ron

Do you want us to say, yeah, it'll work, just take your time, or would you prefer, better find yourself a 90cc saw. Either is an acceptable answer.

For the occasional log, I'm sure you can handle it. More than occasional use, I think you and the saw would both like a bigger option available.

I have that saw and have cut a few trees that size. It will take all day but would probably take all day with a 90cc saw.

New Jersey has wood that big? Skip chain maybe to make sharpening faster. Have it ported perhaps. I personally enjoy every moment I get to have my big saws bucking big wood full throttle, doesn't happen enough for me. If I was a pro big wood logger I'm sure it would get old and just want it done as fast as can be. Watch a video on YouTube of your saw with max bar burried cutting then double the time for having to cut the other side.
Yeah you'd be surprised! It's rare though and I've only seen it in black oaks and sycamores around here. Maples tend to get cut down before they get that big lol. However I am doing a silver maple after the leaves fall that has 3 leads and a 4 foot base, but lucky me gets to leave the base

Thanks. Have you ever run skip tooth on your 32"?

I actually have a 28 inch bar. I tried skip chain and in oak I find it's slower and dulls a lot faster.
4a2c30408a37ec4434b0badbba82bb15.jpg

As the only cutter, I bucked the first tree and fell and bucked the second tree the same day in about four to five hours. Still be :chainsaw: with a smaller saw, but it can be done. For me the occasional big tree does not justify the cost of a new big saw. But I would not fall trees of this size without a big saw.

First red oak 4 1/2 to 5 feet.
IMG_2941.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

Second red oak. 6+ feet at first cut.
IMG_2951.JPG IMG_2970.JPG IMG_2972.JPG IMG_2964.JPG

I hate felling with a 90cc saw. A little heavy and unwieldy for me. West coast loggers can go ahead call me a pansy. I loooooove bucking big timber with a 90cc though. I have a 460 with 28" bar and it works great for felling and bucking but lately after this hurricane I am running into many 40" plus water and laurel oaks. Heavy wet wood that bogs down saws in a cut. We bought a 661 MTronic for the 200 plus of trees this size that are down and it was money well spent. Running full chisel skip tooth chain. Works way better than the full comp with the 36" bar and damp logs. It is a thing of beauty to have a saw that just eats through the wood where other saws struggle.

Logging out the 150 yr old Pignut hickories is way nicer with that 661 too. We were really struggling with 362s with 20" and 460s with 28 on some of these downed trees. With over 1000 trees down on the property, the 460 can do about 50% of the work and the 361/362s and 661 take care of the rest.

My 441cm is ported and it's very stout. 28 in bar is what I run. I bucked up some 35 in white oak a few weeks ago with it. It handled it with no trouble.
The ported 372xpw handled it well also with a 28 in bar. This stuff was bone dry and very hard also

Way back before I had a stihl, I sold cordwood for college expenses. I took down and bucked a 51" white ash with a homelite super XL and 24" bar. Many cords from that tree.

Be patient and don't grind your rakers to low.

Ran a standard carb 441 with 32" bar when working for a tree service, what a slouch. I suppose if he pulled the limiters and opened the muffler a bit. I hear the mtronic 441's are much nicer but either way, don't expect to be amazed though.

Back