How do you remove big wood with no crane?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1332

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright guys, I have the opportunity to remove 2 big oaks. They're in a backyard, pretty far from the street, no access for equipment larger than a dingo, I think it would be too far for a crane too. How would you go about removing the big trunk wood?
One tree is about 4 feet in diameter and the other is a little bigger. I don't have to worry about the root flare, I can leave them about 2-3 feet high.

What's the best way to remove all that wood ???

I'm debating on if I should take the job or not. It's worth about $4k for both trees. But I feel like it would take me the whole week since I'm part time ( I go to college) . And I don't know if that's worth it.

Additionally he biggest saw I have is a 441cm . Which is 71cc and can pull a 32 inch bar. Can I do the job withjust this? Or would it just be too much for it?

I'm debating on if I should take the job or not. It's worth about $4k for both trees. But I feel like it would take me the whole week since I'm part time ( I go to college) . And I don't know if that's worth it.

Additionally he biggest saw I have is a 441cm . Which is 71cc and can pull a 32 inch bar. Can I do the job withjust this? Or would it just be too much for it?
If you can fell the stick then you can cut it up, it'll be slow but doable

Blocking it down with a 441 would be quite an exercise

Alright guys, I have the opportunity to remove 2 big oaks. They're in a backyard, pretty far from the street, no access for equipment larger than a dingo, I think it would be too far for a crane too. How would you go about removing the big trunk wood?
One tree is about 4 feet in diameter and the other is a little bigger. I don't have to worry about the root flare, I can leave them about 2-3 feet high.

What's the best way to remove all that wood ???
Hm 4k for fire wood than I have here some more but wood from gardens isnt always good for timber

Well if your parents are that rich then 4k for a part time week is a really bad deal. Perhaps discuss it with some middle class classmates for a better perspective.
What's rich? I've had a job since I was 10 and have always paid for my own stuff pretty much .
I go to A county college that I'm paying out of pocket for and I don't even live with my parents .
So again I ask, who is this "rich" you speak of? Lmfao

How much can I get into one for? Like $600?

There's deals to be had. A guy on here bought a REALLY nice 066 with two bars and several chains for $400. That's not common, though.

I paid $700 for a ported 660. You could try posting a wanted ad on here. Otherwise, a new 661s gonna run you close to 1200. Of course, you can get a 390xp for about $950 I think. Not sure what a 395 goes for.

If you've got a $4k job lined up, I'd just go for the 661.

So how many hours do you think it would take to do the job? Is it a long drive? How many hours you gonna work per part time day? Can you get a bunch cut and hire some ***** labor to haul it out when you are at school? Have you done a tree this big before? Big cuts take a lot of time! Buy a 660 and go to town And a box of files haha.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

So how many hours do you think it would take to do the job? Is it a long drive? How many hours you gonna work per part time day? Can you get a bunch cut and hire some ***** labor to haul it out when you are at school? Have you done a tree this big before? Big cuts take a lot of time! Buy a 660 and go to town And a box of files haha.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
It would probably take me about 30 hours at least with my limited gear and manpower to do both trees that translates to about the whole week for me ( not including the weekend). I have done big oaks before but not this big. I can fell the stems( if I remember correctly) my original proposal to him was to take down the canopy and just leave the stems, saves him money and me work. But some other tree guy came in really really low at $3300 for both trees and both stumps!! Which is crazy in my opinion. The guy wants to support local business though so I told him I could do it for $3800 and leave the stump above the root swell. If I get the job, great, if not then I probobly saved myself a headache and have room for more jobs. Thinking about it now I would much rather do 3 or four smaller trim or removal jobs and make the same amount of money in half the time. Only upside is if I get he job I have an excuse to buy a 660 from someone on AS lol

Back