How to setup small scale cable logging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse snowden

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a questionfor the professional/experienced loggers out there. I'm looking into a few pieces of property. One in particular is a great value, but it's cheap only because it will require quite a bit of work. And that work got me wondering how to get it done.

Here are the facts I know, things may change on different properties but just use your imagination haha.

-23 acres
-Roughly square
-Majority of the property is a westernly slope
-West boarder is a river
-East boarder is a row of new developments
-North and south boarders are similar sized parcels of land, so it's land locked....
-until I can gain road access, there will be spotty access. Likely crossing the river, which is about 9 inches deep olin the summer.

The whole property is 2nd growth trees, 1-3 feet in diameter. (I'm in seattle area) douglas fir, hemlock, bigleaf maple, western red cedar, western alder.

So now that you have a general picture on to the question. Overlooking a lot of little details like time, money and #of people required, I'm really wondering how to setup and rig a skyline for dragging 50-100ft trees up (or down) this property for milling. I've seen lots of videos of logging crews with huge yarders, remote controlled, powered by a giant diesel motor, etc.

Is there such a thing as a small scale skyline? I know it will be slower, and not as safe as a remote controlled yarder. But there is a will, there must be a way. Any suggestions? I know, crazy kid with wild outlandish dreams. If nothing else, just let me know whatcwill most likely kill me and how to avoid it. Haha

Thanks!!!

Are you going to buy a yarder, or a yoder (or string an old fasion high lead operation)? Regardless you will need experienced crew members.

I definitely cannot afford or justify a yarder just for personal use. So old school pully system was my plan. No rush for production here, slow and steady. I'd be happy with moving one tree a day! Since my overall plan is to mill a lot of the trees that I drop. It may be easier to have the mill setup right on the landing. Might eliminate a lot of the equipment needed to stack and move logs.

My vision is to drop it, skid it to the landing, mill it, and stack it on site to dry. One by one.

Sounds interesting how you getting on I've got 11 acres of wood which is of bad access and am always interested in different ways of getting it out

first off im just east of everett.

sounds like what ya need is an old boom truck.

couple of pto winches hooked to a 20' A frame lookin thing.

it can a d has been done, but yer best course is to pull logs up rather the pull down hill, gravity has a nasty habbit of takin over.

whatever you do wa state is not real fond of folks crossing rivers without bridges or roads

or contact some local loggers, could possibly get yer road and some cash in one go

It sounds like you would have to yard across the river/creek. Might be a little difficult with environmental laws. I think you would be better to build a temporary bridge across the creek (Bailey or Acrow Panel bridges would work), take in a feller buncher and grapple skidder. Bing bang boom. You're in and out in a couple of weeks.

I'm not likely the best person to give you advice for your region but. In your situation up here I would look at a surplus m35a2 or m925a2 with winch, scrounge around materials to build a temp bridge to cross with if there's envirolaws involved with crossing river. You could put an aframe or boom on the truck and use the winch to drag/skid the logs up the hill getting them across the river could be as simple as a make shift log trailer. Might be a tad more economical that route.

Where will the main access be in the long run? The Eastern border through the existing developments? Soetimes it's just cheaper overall to bite the bullet and build the permanent access before logging it and then just tidy it up when done.
How steep is the slope to the West down to the river?
How close is the nearest access route to the Western boundary?
What's the plan for the lumber and the property in the long run - are you building there or selling off or just sitting on bare land long term?

Back