Tools/skills/advice needed for Stihl 026 rebuild broken crank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

west041

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought an 026 a year ago to get some plastics and stock muffler to do a muffler mod on. The 026 had a broken crank on the flywheel side and I got it for $70 I think. The P&C look great and it has a near new carburetor on it. Looks like it needs a oil pickup hose that goes from oil reservoir to the clutch side but obviously the main job is replacing that crank and I'm assuming crank seals, and cleaning/decarboning. I've never done something like this before so I'm curious if anyone has any advice or suggestions on tools to purchase, such as a seal puller.

A few other notes:
-Is it worth the $? I have $70 in it so far, so if I'm looking at more than $225 total, then I think I can buy a lightly used 026 for less than that and just keep this one for parts, as I originally bought it for.
- On pulling the flywheel, since the nut is already broken off the end of the crankshaft I'm assuming I can just tap it out with a nail punch on the broken crank while holding flywheel? Obviously want to avoid metal on metal in most situations but this crank is now ruined anyhow.
- I've pulled several clutches so as long as the 026 is reverse threaded like other Stihls, I'm all set there.
- Also wondering if there's anything else I need to look for in terms of collateral damage. I'm assuming it was either heat, physical stress or lack of lubrication that caused the shaft to snap off.
- And whatever else I missed.

More pics to come. Saw is completely in pieces but I have a couple 026s that I can use for reference when reassembling. Progress will be very slow here, I have a young child and another on the way so only working random weeknights on hobby saws.
IMG_2264.JPG IMG_2263.JPG

The clutch is reverse thread.

You can probably find a good assembled case for $50 or less. When you price a crank, you may be better off swapping out the case.

If that's the only place that the crank is broken, it doesn't seem like there would be collateral damage.

Latest posts

Back