What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very!!!!

I wing most of my cooking. I always have. It's just me and I'll eat stuff off the floor.

For my birthday the neighbors got me a chicken leg and wing grill stand. Absolutely awesome.

CD0E7AF9-C7B3-4882-81B7-DC05A88FD835_zps2a3fquo5.jpg

It's called a King Kooker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJ6EU36/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I always had a hard time with chicken legs on the grill. I would scorch the outside while the inside was still bleeding.

The neighbor told me how he does it.

He boils the chicken legs first. Once they float they are cooked. Marinade them then throw them on the grill at 300-350 for a while. Absolutely stupendous.

The man has serious cooking/grill skills. I know some will laugh at the boiling first part but it works well for me and I don't blame you for laughing.

One weekend the girlfriend was here I was making chicken. I forgot to pick up any marinades. I had half a bottle of Teriyaki marinade and half a bottle of Frank's Wing sauce. Screw it. Poured it all together and marinaded the chicken in it.

Grilled it and it came out awesome!!!! Girlfriend loves it and calls it Teriyuffalo.

Here is a batch I made on the pellet grill.

Just on.

E84B3939-9271-4CE9-8820-4113AB780F79_zpsr6t5ukky.jpg

Almost done.

B4D70870-5CA0-4150-BBB2-7867F6D3BC3D_zpsxypqsmf0.jpg

Plated. Very very good. The neighbor loved it........he is my most feared critic since he is so good at cooking.
DFE08671-6E66-447E-8BCA-F42118F9B869_zpsenusovp6.jpg
My grandmother would put a cut up chicken in a pressure cooker and par boil it before breading and frying.
It was great.
I'm going to experiment with doing Corned Beef on a rack, in a pressure cooker, prior to smoking.

Here you go Steve.
My wife is not a carb kind of gal..................she ate one and half of a second.
I baked the Potato's in the oven, scooped out the innards, leaving some meat (like Potato skins) smoked the skins for 20 minutes, filled them with the mixture (slightly modified) then back in the smoke for about 30 minutes.
I'll be making them again.

image.jpg

Was finally cold enough to start building up my cheese stash.

Smoked up some guda, x-sharp cheddar, pepper/jack, horseradish cheddar, and bacon cheddar
IMG_20151206_121509618_HDR.jpg
Tossed in some peeled hard boiled eggs for smoked egg salad, and a hunk of sheep milk Blu cheese for a smoked Blu cheese salad dressing. IMG_20151101_154206117.jpg .

Attachments

• IMG_20151101_154206117.jpg
    IMG_20151101_154206117.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9

Smoked up some guda, x-sharp cheddar, pepper/jack, horseradish cheddar, and bacon cheddar
View attachment 531980
Tossed in some peeled hard boiled eggs for smoked egg salad, and a hunk of sheep milk Blu cheese for a smoked Blu cheese salad dressing. View attachment 531981 .
Wow yum!!!

View attachment 531980
Tossed in some peeled hard boiled eggs for smoked egg salad, and a hunk of sheep milk Blu cheese for a smoked Blu cheese salad dressing. View attachment 531981 .
Outstanding!

My wife made enchiladas with ground turkey and some handmade
Tortillas. They were exceptional.

OOPs, wrong thread.............

Another attempt at pulled pork today.

Neighbor gave me 2 roasts from their pig so hoping this goes a little better than the crossfit pig I did before.

Physically not like the Boston butt I did before but more like pork porter houses.

Last night I injected them with apple juice/worsteshire
Then rubbed with tatonka dust.

Grill fired up at 0500.

Roasts on.

Part way through.

The stall showed up at 157 degrees. Hung out there for a little over an hour then plunked on through.

165 degrees, "We're foiling up coach!!"

Pulled off at 200 and wrapped in towels and put in a cooler for 1.5 hours.

Turned out good. This was lunch for all of us. The girlfriend saved my ass and brought stuff to make au jus.

I have zero idea why mine cook so quick and have not a whole lot of juice. Grill was at 225 and double checked with grate thermometers.

Oh well. Neighbors really liked it and the girlfriend liked it also.

Enough left over for a few lunches too. [emoji16]

Are you pulling at 200* and checking for tenderness? Or just pulling at 200*?

I usually start probing for tenderness around 200*. Usually pull mine around 205*.

Another attempt at pulled pork today.

Neighbor gave me 2 roasts from their pig so hoping this goes a little better than the crossfit pig I did before.

Physically not like the Boston butt I did before but more like pork porter houses.

Last night I injected them with apple juice/worsteshire
Then rubbed with tatonka dust.

Grill fired up at 0500.

Roasts on.

Part way through.

The stall showed up at 157 degrees. Hung out there for a little over an hour then plunked on through.

165 degrees, "We're foiling up coach!!"

Pulled off at 200 and wrapped in towels and put in a cooler for 1.5 hours.

Turned out good. This was lunch for all of us. The girlfriend saved my ass and brought stuff to make au jus.

I have zero idea why mine cook so quick and have not a whole lot of juice. Grill was at 225 and double checked with grate thermometers.

Oh well. Neighbors really liked it and the girlfriend liked it also.

Enough left over for a few lunches too. [emoji16]
Your ratio of surface area to mass is high. Lots of surface to conduct heat.
The thinner the piece of meat, the more moisture it's going to lose.
Try cooking an entire butt, as one piece.
Spraying every 45 minutes or so with a combination of Apple juice, vinegar and water helps.
Those roasts looks good. Don't get discouraged.

Are you pulling at 200* and checking for tenderness? Or just pulling at 200*?

I usually start probing for tenderness around 200*. Usually pull mine around 205*.

I pulled at 200 then wrapped in a towel and put in the cooler for a while.

I'll try that next time.

Your ratio of surface area to mass is high. Lots of surface to conduct heat.
The thinner the piece of meat, the more moisture it's going to lose.
Try cooking an entire butt, as one piece.
Spraying every 45 minutes or so with a combination of Apple juice, vinegar and water helps.
Those roasts looks good. Don't get discouraged.

I did spray with the apple juice every so often.

Thanks. It's all fun.

Thanks!!!!!!

Noticed in you pic your using oven therms to check your pit temps. While they help, you can't check them without opening the lid. As the saying goes, if you're lookin, your not cookin.

Get a good dual probe therm like the maverick 732, 733, or a Igrill2. They have one probe for pit temps and one for food temp
It's possible your pit temp isn't what you think it is.

Back