Identifying dead limbs from the ground

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HmOwner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought an ATSS 33 foot pole saw to periodically remove some of the lower/smaller dead branches on the various trees on my property. I read that the middle of winter is the best time to trim to prevent infection. From the ground, I can identify limbs that I suspect are dead because they have no leaves. However, if I wait until mid winter, these will be harder to identify as all of the leaves will be down. What is the best way to approach this?

Look at dead limbs now - maybe even mark a few. Then go look at those limbs in the winter. There are differences. The color is different. There are no buds set on the twigs. There are fewer fine twigs on the bigger limbs.

OR: Prune now...very low risk of infection.

Thanks ATH. When you say there is very low risk of infection, is that because it is already fall or because the limbs are already dead?

Because it is already fall. Infection will not come through a dead limb, but if you cut into live tissue when removing it, that can change that. Having said that though, there is a low risk of infection from pruning unless you are dealing with something like oak wilt on oak trees pruned during the growing season.

Back