I think i cut too much... ms290 muffler mod gone wrong?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strtspdlx

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
so i got anxious and didnt feel like just doing a little to my muffler. hopefully i didnt go too far. please epress your opinions and if its alright or not. also roughly how much would you recommend richening my h an l needles after removing the limiters for a muffler mod such as mine?

so i got anxious and didnt feel like just doing a little to my muffler. hopefully i didnt go too far. please epress your opinions and if its alright or not. also roughly how much would you recommend richening my h an l needles after removing the limiters for a muffler mod such as mine?

I couldn't enlarge your pics for a good look but You are fine. Is the top horizontal outlet above the deflector in the pic to the right? I usually just drill a large hole in the rectangular indentation behind the deflector, widen the deflector and run it. I will admit it is loud however. Believe your mod will be loud as well.

Once you mod the muffler the "settings" for the carb are going to be done by ear. There is not an exact setting for the carb. All saws are different. 1 1/2 turns on the H might be close but it will need to be fine tuned from there. I think you will be alright on the mod.

It's the lid that restricts the flow. Check out the muffler mod in this thread - http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/244495-3.htm

Yeah I realize the lid restricts it very poorly I didn't want to modify that a whole lot considering if want to be able to tune the saw and get a decent life out of it. I was just nervous I tend to do this (get things brand new run them for five mins and know I can make them better).

Yeah I realize the lid restricts it very poorly I didn't want to modify that a whole lot considering if want to be able to tune the saw and get a decent life out of it. I was just nervous I tend to do this (get things brand new run them for five mins and know I can make them better).

A saw with a modded muffler and properly tuned carb should have a slightly longer life than a stock saw. The back pressure from the factory mufflers keep more heat in the engine which isn't ideal for long engine life.

I know this is an older thread but I have a question with carb tuning after muffler mod on an MS290 with an 18" bar and chain. When turning the carb screws for H & L and the idle screw which direction should you be turning to lean it out and or richen it up? IE clockwise does what and counter clockwise does what? Not a novice but first time id be adjusting a carb on a 2 stroke small engine and want to make sure I do it right. Thanks guys for the help

Clockwise-lean, Counter clockwise-rich. Same for the idle screw to raise or lower idle speed. Lefty loosey righty tighty.

Latest posts

Back