Homeowner Chipper/Shredder Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conquistador3

Le Comte de Frou Frou
Reaction score
I own an ancient electric chipper/shredder I haven't used in over a year due to the fact, well, it doesn't work that well anymore. It needs to go one way or the other since it's only taking up space so one of these days I will load it on the Toyota and drop it off at the local scrapyard.

I've promised myself if (and it's a big if) I am medically cleared again after my surgery to do some serious lifting I'll buy another piece of power equipment. One of the things I am considering is a new chipper/shredder to reduce the quantity of waste I have to deal with. I may not be cleared to do heavy lifting, but rest assured this Summer I had to deal with a lot of stuff!

I was thinking about getting a shredder with a gasoline engine, for no other reason I can move it around the garden without having to worry about running out of cable.
We have different brands and models available here, but I'd like to hear your advice: I mostly deal with broad leaves in the Fall (chiefly English/Persian walnut), pruning cutoffs in Winter/Spring and especially tons of leftovers from hedge trimming in Summer.
I am thinking about something like this: http://www.ceccato-olindo.it/p/71/tritone-one-honda-gx200

As said, I may not be cleared to do some heavy lifting again or I may opt for something else, so I am not in a big hurry.
Thanks

FriendNE-34.jpg

3.5" capacity, 14 HP Suburu engine. Can chip right into the back of a trailer or pickup truck. Has 4 wheels, you pull it around like a wagon. On rough ground, it's best to have a helper walk along side of it to steady it, as it is a bit top heavy. They have a trailer for it with two wheels that's a lot wider and can be pulled with a lawn tractor. You take the existing wheels off and bolt the chipper to the trailer. It's a Yardbeast 3514 and I don't know if they sell them in Europe, or not.

Thanks.
That would work nicely and take care of everything including the odd pesky neighbor, but the most similar I could find here (Honda engine) is we five grands new, far outside what I am willing to spend.
There are also self propelled tracked ones which would be perfect for this rough area but they are nine grands used... :envy:

Sounds like you need a dump (tilting) trailer and a place to compost the stuff for a few years.

Thanks but due to several issues that is completely out.
I already have a corner of the garden away from sight, dedicated to composting, but it's always overflowing, so I'd like to shred stuff on the spot and use it right away for mulching.

Hi conquistador3

no idea how big your garden is.

I maintain 2500m2 with a small orchard with 7 apple, 1 prune, 2 cherry trees and bunch of fruit bushes. I bought one similar to these, just a different brand name, for very little money(around 1/2 price).
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hecht-6173-B...996652?hash=item41a71440ec:g:ZUAAAOSwyjBW8TsA
It has only a blade cutting system. I removed the plastic funnel to make filling easier (of course I DONOT RECOMEND THIS!!!). It works well for what it is. I have it running since 3 years and have run at least 20 refills through it. Very simple build with a generic lawnmower clone engine. I like having the possibility of shredding at the tree an not moving the stuff around. It is not the fastest system and for larger tree cutting piles I am still happy that they still allow the traditional comunity easter fire once a year. So I try to cut most stuff close before easter and then drive 3-4 times with the very full trailer to the easter comunity fire pit.

Why did I buy such a small unit? First off I have limited storage space, second because it is more for intermitant use it is fully ok for me.

But there are so many generic alternatives out there from much better brands. I am sure you have something similar in Italy as well.
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC2.A0.H0.Xbenzin+häcksler.TRS0&_nkw=benzin+häcksler&_sacat=0

I have a couple of small 4 HP chippers - they work OK for stuff up to 30 cm dia but very slow for anything larger.

Seldom use either, but then I also have a quarter hectare size compost pile out back.

Do you have craigslist or similar in EU? Here, I obtained my chippers for about 30 Euro (thirty, not a typo) each used off craigslist, one was like new, the other only needed a flywheel key replaced.

At the EU prices mentioned, would not even consider a chipper for a yard or property that does not have room for a compost pile.
Do those prices include the 17% or so VA tax?

Is any type of outdoor burning allowed where you are ?

I'll answer to the both you in a single topic.
Generally speaking "brown" cuttings are no problem because they end up in my British Leyland pattern incinerator (read: an oil drum turned into a brazier) or get turned into fire starters. The problem are "green" cuttings because they just take too much time to burn. Those are the thing I want to shred and use as mulch.

I am very wary of those Chinese four stroke engines as, sadly, I had to deal with them and you just cannot pay me enough money to buy another one. I am more than willing to pay a premium to have a good engine like a Honda, a Robin or a Kohler/Lombardini just to avoid the headaches.
Regarding Craiglist/Gumtree: I have a few pieces of power equipment that came from local classified's including my (t)rusty MS290. I have been scouring them for a good shredder/chipper for months but no luck. Either it's small electric stuff or it's grossly overpriced with the seller not budging.

I'll let the matter rest for a a couple weeks until the medical results are in and if I am cleared I'll decide.

After searching through local classifieds with no luck and being offered highly dubious Chinese units at frankly obscene prices, I bought a Caravaggi Bio 100:

IMG_0001_zpsvf6vaee4.jpg

IMG_0002_zpsjhjozfd4.jpg

It has already run a couple of times, grinds everything from branches to leaves into very fine stuff, highly suited for mulching and composting. I really like how you just move it around like a cart or a wheelbarrow. Mercifully the wheels are solid rubber and not pneumatic: the last thing I need is to pump up the shredder tyres as well! :laugh:
It has 28 hammers, which for its class is not too shabby.

Back