Help me pick a new splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes - that is a lot of coin. Quite happy to live with mine now after seeing that - after all, it did suit me to a T until I saw the link to that fancier one.

On the chatter - it could maybe be some binding in your wedge/beam movement. I think mine has gotten some slop worn into it from the use it saw before I got it, and it sort of chatters a bit sometimes as the wedge approaches the wood. I just hit it with some graphite spray and it stops.

I know it's been said but you will be hard pressed to out work a Huskee from HD, they are a bargain and good all around machine, for a grand you can't beat them. I think TSC has the same ones too. I had one for a short time and loved it, I only sold it because I built the splitter I wanted, log lift and all.

I might have missed what type of wood are you dealing with ?
Try to find someone close so you could run the machines that you have it narrowed down to , I wouldn't buy a car new or used without touching it .
If you like the fast cycle time of the SS and trust the testemonials but want to keep some funds in the pocket you could just get a model J from SS , noodle the trouble rounds if you have the right size wood (averaged) to feed the machine.
Plenty of happy hydro guys out there as well, it is easier to get rid of a 1500$ boat anchor than a 3500$ one if you're not happy.
There are many options out there.
I'd get a Powersplit buggy without touching it if I had the money .... Options lol

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC

Well I order a SS today. Let me say first I don't work for them, I'm not a Cheerleader for them heck I don't even know if I will like the machine. But here are the reasons why I went this route, again this is just me not saying it's right.

1- The wood I run across here in Va at the locations I cut is generally 18" or so diameter. Occasionally I have to pull out the larger bar for my saw but it looks pretty new compared to the 20" I run everyday. These rounds aren't west coast or up north rounds. Im guessing a Kinetic unit is going to handle them pretty easy.
2- The Hydro units with a quick cycle time were simply more expensive. I want a quick cycle time, I understand many are fine without it and you can only work so fast. I still decided early on it was going to have to be a quick cycle unit either hydro or Kinetic.
3- Customer support. I understand many want a machine that if it had an issue it goes to service center and is repaired. I'm a mechanical guy and I like to fix things myself. I found that if I have an issue with the SS I can fix it myself with advice and parts from SS direct. I won't have to take the machine, load it on a trailer, go to a service center, wait for it to get looked at, parts ordered, then fixed. Again I understand some may want someone else to fix it, not me.
4-I watched some videos of the components and construction of the machine. It's a very simple creature and has a track record of lasting many years even when commercially used. I understand hydro units are pretty straight forward and last as well.
5- The owner of the company called me and answered my questions. I sent e-mails to some other companies and received no response of the responses I received most were of a sales point of view not so much an actual Q and A of my concerns.
6- I see this as a long term investment in a machine that should rest the rest of my wood burning life and will still be of use and value. I can pass it down to my son or sell it, even after many years these machines have value and there are a good deal out there still running. Any good high quality machine will hold value.
7-I don't see them going away like many other Kinetic machines from other larger companies. I could be dead wrong but with them being a family company I should be able to get parts for many years to come. I don't have that same feeling about many others.

Lastly my gut just said while it's a lot of cash if I do it now and get what I want I won't have to do it again.

I hope others can view this thread and see what the prices and pros and cons of these units are and see all the helpful suggestions I received from a broad range of members.
I appreciate everyone's input.

I'm an honest guy and I tend to be very critical. If anyone wants I will post my honest opinion of the machine once I receive it (3-4weeks) and run some wood. It's stacking up around here and I'm gonna need it.

Thanks everyone, be safe. Rye.

You and I are in the same boat. I too placed an order last night and have been going back and forth for about a month.

I want to speed up the process. Yes a box store splitter will get the job done. So I found a like new unit on CL and picked it up for a little savings. It worked, did what it needed to do but I found myself waiting on the splitter. Buddy of mine has the smaller Timberwolf with the 4 way slip on wedge. Borrowed that and sold the County Line unit since his TW is allowed to live here as much as I need. The 4 way certainly sped up the process, but I still found myself waiting on the splitter.

I want to drastically reduce the time spent splitting wood. Getting the wood, cutting it etc takes enough time and those are constraints I can not reduce due to our situation. The one area I can control is how long it takes to actually split the wood.

I feel that based on the size and dimensions I split our wood for our stoves, the SS will fit the bill nicely. I look forward to your critiques as you venture through the break-in. Sounds like you've put in the same bit of thought into the purchase as I have. I had the invoice sitting in my inbox for almost 2 weeks hemming and hawing about the purchase....

Yep I was afraid I was going to do the same thing. Spend a lot on a box store brand with all the options and ultimately not be happy, buy a more expensive quick cycle hydro and possibly not be happy, or get what my gut said too the first time. We shall see how it all plays out.
Good luck!

One thing I have noticed about professionals vs hobbyists is that the hobbyist buys the best tool they can as they are more fun. The pro buys good enough based on speed of parts support and cost. Fancy splitters are nice, but crappy splitters pay the bills.

In comparison to 40 hr a week folks they are. I do not think there is a better word for it. I consider myself a borderline hobbyist given that it is not 100% of my income.

Not everyone that uses wood as a primary heat source also sells wood.

I may have missed it, because I am prone to overlooking things, but I don't believe the OP suggested he sells wood on the side, either.

I am by no means a pro, hobbyist a decent term. No matter the title I purchased the tool I thought would be best for me and my situation. If I were selling wood, which I have the means to do just not the desire. I think my choice would have been the same.
I have the truck, dump trailer, John Deere SCUT, access to a fair amount of land and lumber, who knows maybe I will sell some.
My son goes to school next year and I'll have a lot more time during the week.

I built my current splitter, thinking I knew what I wanted. I had built several before this one and had rented others. I have found there is no such thing as a perfect splitter. I am pretty sure a SS wont fit the type wood I split. If I have to spend time noodleing rounds to fit on the SS, then what have I saved in time splitting. Also for speed, I find my hyd splitter will out run me, I dont have a autocycle valve, but I do have auto return. With the adjustable 6way wedge, I am not spending a lot of time turning rounds for resplitting, and with auto return, it usually has retracted the ram before I can pick up another round to be split, so I aint waiting on the machine. The 5in bore cyl pretty much splits anything I put on the machine and the 28gpm 2stage pump keeps the speed to where I dont even run the machine wide open throttle. With the boom mounted winch, I dont have to break my back picking up heavy rounds. Even with all that, I still aint satisfied with the splitter. I wont be making any more modifications to this machine until after I complete my processor build, but I do plan on making a change on the wedge design, sort of thinking about a tempest type wedge with some sort of log return so for those very big rounds, I can just load the round on the machine and extend and retract the cyl until the round is reduced to similar size splits.

Box wedges are awesome. If I was building and had unlimited time and funds, that's what I would do.

Ended up deciding I don't want another project and bought a SS.

sent from a field

Latest posts

Back