Rescue gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha that's the worst case... stepping back I always carry tourniquet and quickclot wherever I go and whatever I do.

#1 is have training and a communicated plan.

I've thought about, but haven't installing a second line for every climb. This would never be used, but is in place for a rescuer if need be. In reality, that would likely be the biggest time saver for a safe in-tree rescue. Most of the rest can be improvised if need be. Belt and shirt to stop bleeding may leave a mess, but the hospital can clean that up....if I bleed out in he tree waiting for somebody to get there they can't help that. If I were to do that, I'd set it up SRT with the hardware on rope ready to clip into a saddle and go (with extra saddle on site of course).

Beyond that a well stocked first aid kit. More is better...if you think maybe it might be needed, put it in the kit.

AED? They are expensive. If there is anybody on the crew with a hint of heart trouble, probably worth having on the truck.

Miko0618, sounds like we've worked with the same folks.

There's rarely anyone else on my job besides me that can leave the ground. Not too good I know. But it's what I have. That means I'm dependant on the fire dept or heaven forbid one or the other tree services here. They would probably just have to cut the tree down with me in it.

I just keep the normal first aid kits in every vehicle. With extra products inside. Such as Sting Kill, Benadryl capsules. You can tell wasps are my worst enemy. Oh and the super glue for cuts. It's invaluable. That's what's holding me together right now.

Much worse than that and I'll have be carries somewhere. I do make sure my crew knows where the closest hospital is and that at least one phone is easily accessible. And I leave my estimate book on the dash turned to the job were on. That way whoever gets the phone will have the address where we're at. In an emergency situation, it could be hard to find out an address otherwise.

On my way to work with any new groundie, I go over the rules. There’s way more, but if I’m in trouble up in the tree the rule is CALL 911, don’t be a second victim, don’t try to help unless you’re trained & qualified rescue personnel.

A guy who’s working with me now is a rock-climbing instructor of 40+ yrs experience—the guy knows ropes, biners, hitches, and all their complications, has seen plenty of people hurt and killed. Didn’t say a word except to agree when I said call 911.

I have a clotting pad, Israeli bandage, Benadryl, Aleve, some other bandages in my climb bag. I tell everyone they're in there a few times but I hope they'll remember in an emergency. Most of our vehicles don't have any first aid kits so I bring my own. 99% of the time we work in the city so and ambulance is only minutes away. Just stuff to keep from bleeding out from chainsaw cuts and dressings for minor wounds.

Because most of our work is clearing along powerlines we are required to have a rescue climber at all times.
We have all complete basic aerial rescue, however the course isn't very in depth, mainly a protocol thing for the power company. Looking for ideas on pullys, harnesses, lanyards, webbing slings etc

I was just informed I need to put a new throw line in our rescue kit. Why you ask? If a climber was some how energized from high voltage, a new clean throw line could be tossed over the HV lines and a running bowline or such could be put in it and and used to short out the lines. So maybe you if you work around hi voltage at all you might want a new throw line. just in case.

When I was in Arrowhead in 2003, my job was to be on the ground with rescue gear and was the guy that would have to do the rescue,
It was basically a complete climbing gear bag of mine, we have first aid kits and cell phones and etc,,,
You just had to be ready to cover the task of getting up there and getting him down,,
I had to keep my climbers close enough to cover at least 2 maybe 3,,
Sounds like an easy job but I was always stressed,
Jeff

Yeah it would be scary, but so would helplessly watching someone being juiced in a tree.
I saw a training film where a guy was getting jolted for an hour before power was cut off.

Yeah they make us watch a similar video when we do our initial trainer and refreshers.
Trying to remember the guys name, he survived the incident and now does training of some sort

Back