Bluebird SG1314A Stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwoell14

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience (good or bad) with Bluebird stump grinders? This would be my first one. I'm looking at the SG1314A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am 99% sure that's the model I rented from Home depot one day to do some stumps on a hard to reach hill.

One thing I despised about that machine is it has an oil level sensor that even side to side motion on a slight incline would cause it to shut the machine off. I almost tossed it down the hill in frustration many times. I would keep it as level as possible but it would still shut down.

Not sure what you plan on using the grinder for but smaller stump grinders like that model are all but useless in anything over the 8" to 12" range.

And you have to keep the teeth sharp or the machine is nowhere.

Unless you need it for only small shrub stumps, or for hard to reach spots, I would at least get a 25hp self propelled.

I am 99% sure that's the model I rented from Home depot one day to do some stumps on a hard to reach hill.

One thing I despised about that machine is it has an oil level sensor that even side to side motion on a slight incline would cause it to shut the machine off. I almost tossed it down the hill in frustration many times. I would keep it as level as possible but it would still shut down.

Not sure what you plan on using the grinder for but smaller stump grinders like that model are all but useless in anything over the 8" to 12" range.

And you have to keep the teeth sharp or the machine is nowhere.

Unless you need it for only small shrub stumps, or for hard to reach spots, I would at least get a 25hp self propelled.

Thanks. It just popped up for sale in my area which is why I'm considering it. Initial investment is also attractive since its only about $2,500.

Well, don't forgot to add the cost of a good back Dr. or a chiropractor, after you do a few jobs with it. I would pass, and just rent a good self-propelled, more powerful machine, when you need it. Unless that $2500 is burning a hole in your pocket.

Well, don't forgot to add the cost of a good back Dr. or a chiropractor, after you do a few jobs with it. I would pass, and just rent a good self-propelled, more powerful machine, when you need it. Unless that $2500 is burning a hole in your pocket.

Good point.

Back