Ash Problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just took a walk over the hill and noticed several ash trees with areas of discolored bark. Some were about 24" dbh, others smaller. Never saw this before after 38 years here. Emerald ash borer problem? Photos are two different trees. DSCN9426.JPG DSCN9425.JPG

Doesn't make much difference if you cut now or spring...but don't try to bring them along for 2 more years. Get them out. Do it when the ground is dry or frozen so you aren't cutting ruts.

Is there enough to justify a commercial harvest? 2 dozen or so might start to generate interest depending on local markets.

Doesn't make much difference if you cut now or spring...but don't try to bring them along for 2 more years. Get them out. Do it when the ground is dry or frozen so you aren't cutting ruts.

Is there enough to justify a commercial harvest? 2 dozen or so might start to generate interest depending on local markets.

24 trees... commercial?! I wouldn't even start the truck to go take a look at a property if it's under 10 acres!

If EAB is killing ash in your area my concern is there would be tons of ppl trying to sell similar wood.

Maybe tons of ppl buying it but for relatively cheap also.

Guys, if he can drop them and drag to an accessable area would that help?

I'm not looking to sell timber. Besides, most these grow on a fairly steep hill so there could be lots of stress in the wood and yes, I know ash is especially susceptible to barber chairs. I may slab a couple that are on level ground, otherwise they will be firewood. In fact, I'm at least a year ahead on firewood anyway so I may sell what I have (nice and dry) and keep the ash for myself.

If EAB is killing ash in your area my concern is there would be tons of ppl trying to sell similar wood.

Maybe tons of ppl buying it but for relatively cheap also.

Guys, if he can drop them and drag to an accessable area would that help?
Well, not relevant since he is not looking to sell...but to address the questions:
*The price dropped here when the State started popping up quarantines and loggers couldn't move ash they already had bought. Once they laid off of that, the price went higher than pre-EAB prices. It is good wood and will always drive a strong demand. Timber markets are global so a few million board feet here and there isn't going to flood the global timber markets.

*Having the trees on a landing easy to load certainly makes it more attractive for a logger (especially one with a knuckleboom mounted on the log truck). However, it is also easy to lose value by bucking them wrong...if somebody wants to do that, I suggest they take the butt log as long as they can to the deck.

Back