"cheap" versus expensive climbing saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've being using the MS200T, and it's fore runner the 020T before it. I have a 192 also but has no where near the grunt. I also dropped it 80 ft out of a big Pine a few weeks ago ( you may have seen the post ) and it had to have a new trigger assembly and some outer casing. I have dropped the MS200 from a similar height and it just bounced and kept running ( actually to it's credit the 192 was still running but it was unusable ). I've also owned a couple of Husky climbing saws as I'm a fan of big Huskys but they rattled to pieces. For me there is only one.

The MS200 is a pro tool period, and IMHO nothing really compares regarding reliability or power. My current saw has been used daily for the last three years, and it's still good, but I'm looking forward to buying a new one very soon.

When I started my company I bought an Echo 300 top handled saw for use as my climbing saw. I wanted a 020t but couldn't justify the "double the price". As my company's finances increased (each job), I purchased more equipment and eventually bought a used 020t and then a new MS200.

If you stay in tree work for any length of time, you will eventuallyown one of these great saws (MS200).

I still have the Echo, But it only has 1 or 2 tankfulls of gas run through it a year.

200t VS 192

I have owned several 200t's and they are super. I am surprised in all of these posts however that no one has mentioned that they like to loosen up their mufflers and if you don't jump on it immediately they will elongate the tapped holes that they are in and you have to drill out slighly bigger, retap and go next size up. This can be a hassle but in generally doesn't begin to happen until the saw is over a year + old.

The 192 is much cheaper and a little bit lighter but sacrifices umph.... but I choose to have both so that when I only need a mid power saw for smaller limbs I use the 192 so "SAVE" the run time on the expensive 200t. This way you get the best from both.

Last time i used a echo or a 192 i threw them out of the tree and had a 200 sent to the job site 200 all the way

can't be beat!

I just purchased a new MS200T yesterday! My last one was crushed by a misplaced bucket truck... I paid $550 plus tax with a 16" bar. Just under 600 bucks.

I think the point to all of these posts is this: You simply cannot beat the power and performance of the Stihl MS200T.

When I started in this business, I was 17 years old, with a beat up 84' Ford Ranger and a 16" Poulan for my climbing saw. I had less than 500 bucks worth of climbing and rigging gear. Within a couple of years, the poulan had been voluntarily destroyed, and I was rocking a slew of Stihls. If you are seroius about arboriculture, save yourself the grief and pick up the Stihl. You WILL NOT regret it.

:givebeer:

Pretty much a consensus; the only other thing is if one is skilled enough to use the power correctly and fully. If not needing quick, clean cuts for good releases, only cut wrist sized stuff etc.; you probably won't appreciate the 020/200 as much for your investmeant.

200t's vs the rest

Pretty much a consensus; the only other thing is if one is skilled enough to use the power correctly and fully. If not needing quick, clean cuts for good releases, only cut wrist sized stuff etc.; you probably won't appreciate the 020/200 as much for your investmeant.

I am glad TreeSpyder mentioned the above quote and surprised again that it wasn't mentioned earlier. The power and speed of the 200t do make them a safer saw to use as you can control limbs better. Sometimes a quick cut is what must be done and if your cuggin a 192 you just might not make it.

good point.

saving money by not making your job easier seems pointless.

i love my 200 and my 192.the 192 wakes up with a muffler mod and carb adjustment.i haven't got a Stihl with the carb set right from the dealer yet.

i have used the huskies because i prefer their saws in general.their top handles suck.they have a long way to go as does echo.if i'm in the tree,i want to be comfortable from my saddle,to my boots,to my saw.the stihls balance well.
if the ms200t was a thousand dollars and the echo was 25,i would own the ms200t.

i have not used the dolmar 3410 so i can't speak on them.i have held them and they feel good but i haven't run one.

I love the 200 have owned 3. Bought a 192 when they first came out with them just to try it out. The thing I didn't like about it was that it didn't have an adjustiable oiler. If you did alot of cutting the oiler couldn't keep up. The 200 is assembled by hand no machines. The 192 is machine assembled. The 192 is a decent saw just not somthing I would want to take up in a tree with me. The 200 is buy fare the better saw.

Don't have anything to compair to but we have been running the echo 360T for three years now without any problems. Still think they are great little saws for the money.

I started out using one of the top handle Poulans back in the early 90's. Then I moved on to a bigger service and they used 020's. When I went out on my own I used the cheaper Huskies (which were a particular PITA because the cover and air filter would always fall off while in the tree). Used an Echo for a little while. All were under powered and annoying in some way (excluding the 020's I used while working for another tree service). I was working on a tree one morning and the little top handle Echo I was using was bogging trying to cut a stub out of a crotch. I finished that tree and went to the saw shop up the road where I had seen a 192 that morning and bought a new 192T. I used that for about a year but it was still under powered and bogged in crotches and big wood. I finally bought a 200T a couple of years ago and will never own another climbing saw. I still keep the 192 around because I like having redundancy in my saws in case one goes down on a job but I'll always have a 200T from now on.

Funny, I can't remember most of the model numbers of the various climbing saws I've used over the years but you'll never forget the name 200T.

Funny, I can't remember most of the model numbers of the various climbing saws I've used over the years but you'll never forget the name 200T.

I will second this

I am a fire wood cutter--Never owned 1 . I watched a local tree service take down 2 big pecan trees. Main cutter in bucket goes up with a little Stihl working his way down-I keep thinking he will soon come down get bigger husky--Nope---he cut every limb--Big stuff with the wee one and fast too.Saw dust flyin!!! I was impressed--He finished trunk with the Husky.I want a stihl like that but I will have to settle for my $5.00 poulan 25DA---LOL

The 200t is awesome, but I have to settle for my cs355t which dose very good all the way around. Great saw for around $400. JMO.

I just picked up a new 355t last week for $325 shipping free. Only have a few hours on it but it cuts through 10" limbs pretty good. I ordered a full chisel for it and will see if cuts faster in a few days. Working on getting a 200t also so I'll report on the difference IMO when I get it.

I just picked up a new 355t last week for $325 shipping free. Only have a few hours on it but it cuts through 10" limbs pretty good. I ordered a full chisel for it and will see if cuts faster in a few days. Working on getting a 200t also so I'll report on the difference IMO when I get it.
Awe yeah!

A 200T?, That thing will probably be used and abused.

If it runs and the chain is sharp then good for me! I do believe that they are meant to be used and abused. Keep up on the maintenance and run the crap out of em! But it looks good cosmetically anyway

Back