Anyone up for a Mid MI splitting party?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
What Im really asking is who wants to come split all my wood....

But seriously....

I am being blessed with far more wood than we need. If I continue to get scrounge wood from @computeruser neighborhood, I will have far more than I need not only for us, but for the widow that lives in front of us.

I am in the process of working out some details with the aforementioned individual....

This will be a BYOSaT party.

This is what I have on the ground right now not including 1 load still in the trailer and 1 load back by my stacks.

629735c460ef731248a6863621f714d3.jpg

sent from a field

Heres the deal....

I want to offer some of this wood to needy families in the area. If anyone that wants to/knows of a needy family in their area they would be more than welcome to take some of the community split wood back with them. I was involved in a GTG like this some years ago where we all got together and cut and split like 10 trailer loads of wood, delivered, and stacked it for a lady whos husband had just passed away. I am now in a position to pay that forward again.....

At this point I have no destination in mind. I can put a feeler out on a community board but would also welcome any suggestions from local residents.

Keep in mind all this wood is green, and hard wood. Oak, Elm, Locust, Maple.... So its not going to be any good this year.

This wont happen until after the new year so plans can be made accordingly and I can continue to stockpile wood. All of this wood is coming from East Lansing where the local utility has contracted clearing crews. It is being given to me by the local residents that will not use it. It absolutely will not be sold or otherwise used to put a buck into anyone's pocket.

I highly doubt any saws will be needed as the majority of it is already bucked and blocked up. So this wont be a cutting GTG....

Heres the deal....

I want to offer some of this wood to needy families in the area. If anyone that wants to/knows of a needy family in their area they would be more than welcome to take some of the community split wood back with them. I was involved in a GTG like this some years ago where we all got together and cut and split like 10 trailer loads of wood, delivered, and stacked it for a lady whos husband had just passed away. I am now in a position to pay that forward again.....

At this point I have no destination in mind. I can put a feeler out on a community board but would also welcome any suggestions from local residents.

Keep in mind all this wood is green, and hard wood. Oak, Elm, Locust, Maple.... So its not going to be any good this year.

This wont happen until after the new year so plans can be made accordingly and I can continue to stockpile wood. All of this wood is coming from East Lansing where the local utility has contracted clearing crews. It is being given to me by the local residents that will not use it. It absolutely will not be sold or otherwise used to put a buck into anyone's pocket.

I highly doubt any saws will be needed as the majority of it is already bucked and blocked up. So this wont be a cutting GTG....
casey check witha local church i am sure that they will point you in the right direction of a needy family that might need the wood. i live in central virginia and our church has a fire wood ministry, it does a body good seeing some one in need benifiting from your hard work.

I'd love to participate in a charity event. However, I'd rather not tow the splitter two hours each way in snow, or salt covered roads. If you can pull something together this spring I'm in with a TW-6 w/log lift and modded four-way.

I have no hard and fast date. And it isn't going to happen until well into the new year. And it may happen more than once. There will be opportunities...

Good for you Casey. I sell a lot of wood through the community facebook pages so a few weeks ago I posted in 2 towns about wanting to donate firewood to families in need. In my post, I asked that if anyone knew of a family in need to private message me. I ended up having people nominate 5 different families. Not sure if you're on facebook or not and if your town has any local facebook pages but around here that's the big thing right now.
I also had multiple people offer to help so I'm thinking late winter/early spring I may host a work party where I supply the wood and whatever gets cut and split in a day will be donated in the fall.

Good for you Casey. I sell a lot of wood through the community facebook pages so a few weeks ago I posted in 2 towns about wanting to donate firewood to families in need. In my post, I asked that if anyone knew of a family in need to private message me. I ended up having people nominate 5 different families. Not sure if you're on facebook or not and if your town has any local facebook pages but around here that's the big thing right now.
I also had multiple people offer to help so I'm thinking late winter/early spring I may host a work party where I supply the wood and whatever gets cut and split in a day will be donated in the fall.

FB is how I was going to initiate it. We do have a Grand Ledge community page.

Update:

So I posted a free ad on our local FB page for the stuff I'm taking from my place of employment. There was enough interest generated that I was also able to find homes for everything here I was going to use for a GTG and non of them want it split. So..... Thats that.

Latest posts

Back