Stihl 044 becoming a BEAST to crank!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 044 is a tad hard to start. 190 psi. i have dropped started it 1000 times a least.sometimes it will pull the cord out of your hand.

never had a problem with any 1128 new or high hour besides my 461. plugged decomp to eliminate it ever being an issue, tightened squish, and ported. started fine cold but hot it would rip the handle out of your hands if you didn't mean it and then ruin you day if you did mean it. only way to start it was getting it just past TDC then pull like you mean it. even then it would get me often lol i don't have a problem starting any other saw without a decomp. that one had stock timing even. elastostart sucks!!!!!!

A little off the subject, and sideways; I probably should make a separate post even......

But on the subject of timing and keyways.
On the Stihl fuel injectedTS500i, it is crank triggered by the crankshafts' counterweights, with a sensor through a hole in the bottom of the crankcase.
It does have a flywheel keyway, but it's just to aid in tightening.
The same sensor reads atmospheric and crankcase pressures inside the crankcase, temperature, crank position, and mixture.
Amazing, and I've never seen one fail yet.

Interesting; but on the Stihl TS500i, it is crank triggered by the crankshafts counterweights with a sensor through a hole in the bottom of the crankcase.
It does have a flywheel keyway, but it's just to aid in tightening. The same sensor reads atmospheric and crankcase pressures inside the crankcase, temperature, crank position, and mixture.
Amazing, and I've never seen one fail yet out of probably close to 300 I've serviced.
On another subject, I saw a public request for an "in suit" crapper design on the Weather Channel this morning. Maybe NASA should get the team who designed that sensor to figure out how to create an "in suit" crapper for extended-stay space travel.
Or maybe ask the guys at area 51 to ask the aliens how they did it, lol.....
Protein pill.

It could be a gradual build-up of carbon on the piston crown and in the combustion chamber.

Another learning opportunity so bear with me.
How does the carbon buildup make it "kick" harder? Does it affect the timing or somehow make it fire hotter?
The first Shindaiwa 500 I had was very hard on the hands if I wasn't paying attention and went easy on the pull. Very surprising as it is a smaller saw. I've had over 50 other Shindaiwas without issues but recently resurrected another 500 with the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back