Storage case for the Stihl MS441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have thought about getting a case for my Stihl MS441RCM just so I don't get crap all over the inside of my truck since the bed is usually too full with wood.

But after doing a little research, it seems they do not make a case that fits this saw, I have the full wrap version and the larger dawgs. So I am thinking about making a box myself. Has anybody made a box for their saw and did you use wood or something else? What type of wood?

Why don't they make cases for the larger saws? Is there not enough market for them? I can see people in the logging industry not being interested in cases but not everybody is in the logging business.

Homeowners are usually the ones buying cases. And they don't usually buy thousand dollar 70cc saws.

I realize that but they still should offer cases for the larger saws.

I was thinking of using plywood just so it is not so heavy. I am not worried about making a box big enough for the bar, I have a scabbard for that. I just want to protect the powerhead and keep from getting the inside of my truck dirty.

I just want to get some ideas on how you did it, what type of hinges, etc.

Yes, they should. But they dont, and that's the reason why.

Yes, the Stihl cases do not fit R model saws, or anything larger than a 360/1/2, or for saws with more than a 20 inch bar. I have 3 Stihl cases for my 60cc and smaller saws, pro and homeowner alike. They keep the saws from sliding/rolling around and getting scraped up in the back of my truck. I also have a square Husky box that I got with a 361. It does not fit the Stihl R model saws either (too narrow). So my 441R is naked all the time. I would be interested to see if you come up with anything as a case for the 441R.

I could swear there was a thread on the old site. Someone did it for a 440R. Keep trying the search. I know it's tough now.

If I ever decide to make one, I will try and post some pics. Kind of looks like I am going to be on my own with this project.

I was thinking of just using 1/2" plywood to help keep the weight down. I guess I will just have to experiment and see how it turns out.

The dude who did it used a Stihl case. Modified it to fit the big handles. Looked good.

That's a standard half wrap. The 044R that I had before and the 441R that I have now stick out way too far on the right to ever fit into a Stihl case like that.

I may have found a better solution than plywood. I am going to check out some ice coolers and see if I can find one that is big enough. I will still have to do some mods to it like cutting a slot in it for the bar. It might even be cheaper too especially if you have to buy a sheet of plywood and all the hardware.

Has anybody ever used a cooler as a storage case?

Howdy:

I have the prior model MS440 which is about the same size I think. I have the larger spikes on mine so the standard orange case won't work. I ended up buying the large "StihL" orange duffle bag, and stuffing a 1/4" plywood floor inside. Now the whole saw 25" bar with scabbard fits into this duffle and I hoist the duffle over my shoulder and off I go. It carries it well and is comfortable. I also keep the spare chains and tool kit and spark plug in the duffle.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/pr...protective-and-work-wear-accessories/duffbag/

I really like that!

any3ugu4.jpg

Howdy:

I have the prior model MS440 which is about the same size I think. I have the larger spikes on mine so the standard orange case won't work. I ended up buying the large "StihL" orange duffle bag, and stuffing a 1/4" plywood floor inside. Now the whole saw 25" bar with scabbard fits into this duffle and I hoist the duffle over my shoulder and off I go. It carries it well and is comfortable. I also keep the spare chains and tool kit and spark plug in the duffle.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/pr...protective-and-work-wear-accessories/duffbag/

Do you take the bar off when using this? I really don't want to take the bar off every time I put it in the case.

What does that duffel bag cost?

If you can find the rectangular, black Stihl case it will fit a half wrap saw up to a 460 with no modifications. And maybe a 660, but I haven't tried. When I added the larger clutch cover and dual dogs I had to modify mine slightly to fit the larger dog teeth.

As others have mentioned though, no one makes a full wrap saw case.

-n

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same situation and reasons pretty much. Trying to find a case for a Jonsered CS2172 w/ a 28" bar.

I will have to take a pic when i get home, but... my solution is similar to the stihl duffle bag. Lowes sells a tool bag made by husky that has hard plastic sides and bottom and is covered in nylon. The sides of the bag have pockets perfect for saw tools, chains, wedges, oil bottles, etc. I cut a hole in one end the perfect size for my bar/scabbard to fit thru and it works awesome!!. I have enough room in there for my 362rcm, a couple quarts of fuel, my axe, chaps, and everything else i need for murdering some trees :) its nice to be able to throw one bag in the truck and go.. ill take some pics when i get home tonight.

Latest posts

Back