Storage case for the Stihl MS441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have to take a pic when i get home, but... my solution is similar to the stihl duffle bag. Lowes sells a tool bag made by husky that has hard plastic sides and bottom and is covered in nylon. The sides of the bag have pockets perfect for saw tools, chains, wedges, oil bottles, etc. I cut a hole in one end the perfect size for my bar/scabbard to fit thru and it works awesome!!. I have enough room in there for my 362rcm, a couple quarts of fuel, my axe, chaps, and everything else i need for murdering some trees :) its nice to be able to throw one bag in the truck and go.. ill take some pics when i get home tonight.

Sounds good, thanks.

The old cases fit most saws. For sure it fit a 460 with "west coast" felling spikes and a 3/4 wrap grip. I think it also fit the 660 I had, but I can't remember for sure. I had got the case for free when I bought a new 290 and I kept it when I traded it for a 460. I thought it was handy when I kept the saws outside, but the case fill with water when I wasn't working for a few weeks and flooded out that 460.

The old cases fit most saws. For sure it fit a 460 with "west coast" felling spikes and a 3/4 wrap grip. I think it also fit the 660 I had, but I can't remember for sure. I had got the case for free when I bought a new 290 and I kept it when I traded it for a 460. I thought it was handy when I kept the saws outside, but the case fill with water when I wasn't working for a few weeks and flooded out that 460.
This is the orange case with the ****** plastic hinges and latches that come apart after a while.

This is the orange case with the ****** plastic hinges and latches that come apart after a while.

Awesome. Thanks for the pics and idea. That will work fine. Can get all my stuff in there and prob chaps too...

You can get 441 c in a orange case but where it is hitting on the handles you heat it up with a paint stripper and then close and lock til it cools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stihl carrying case are doubled wall so you could just cut where it's hitting the handles or brake lever and gain some space
I did the heat
adadf93c76bfa7bc93f7348991cdcbb5.jpg
20f228fa01ccb85974859565daa14547.jpg
0a63f1b6ef07fad8b6cb6090e9622665.jpg
7e9785e9dbe938926a75ccc86e375093.jpg
b87dfe5bdd3877e8ef6f6734640be032.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea even with heat, wrap handle saws with large dogs stihl dont fit in the orange case.. my 362r doesnt even come close to fitting in my orange case.

Yea even with heat, wrap handle saws with large dogs stihl dont fit in the orange case.. my 362r doesnt even come close to fitting in my orange case.
Check out the photos in the link I provided above (Post#22) - some of the square, blow molded poly cases are larger, and can be modified to accept larger saws.

Philbert

I took the largest Craftsman case I had and modified it to fit a MS660. I heated the parts of the case that were too tight for the lid to close and stretched the plastic to fit. It was a fine line of heating it just right with a heat gun before setting it on fire. It ain't purty but works for me.

Check out the photos in the link I provided above (Post#22) - some of the square, blow molded poly cases are larger, and can be modified to accept larger saws.

Philbert

Yep, i already saw that.. the plastic cases are great, but i like my solution (in the pics above) better the more i use it. For lots of reasons. My bag doesnt slide around in the truck at all like a plastic case does. The pockets and storage are the best part! Ya can throw everything in there too, extra bar nuts, ear plugs, safety glasses, tool kit, file kit, spark plugs, etc, while keeping it all organised.. i always know if i need something, it will be in my bag! With the plastic cases, putting other stuff in them is always a disorganised shitshow in my experience. Haha!

Yep, i already saw that.. the plastic cases are great, but i like my solution (in the pics above) better . . . With the plastic cases, putting other stuff in them is always a disorganised shitshow in my experience.
I like your bag too - nice to have different options.

One thing that I like about the plastic cases is that they are easy to clean - I line them with an oil absorbent pad ( http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chain-saw-diapers-keep-your-cases-cleaner.73699/ ) and anything else wipes clean.

Since I have a few saws, I like that they stack for storage, and protect my saws in transport when I have a bunch of stuff piled in the back of my car.

Organization is a personal thing - depends on what you keep in each case. The Husqvarna cases have molded in spaces for specific items, but I typically use a few, large zip-lock bags for chains, spare parts, etc. I have a separate duffle for chaps, gloves, PPE, first aid kit, basic tools, etc. that is independent of any specific saw.

Philbert

Hey -sorry not to reply I moved and the last couple years have been very hectic, I leave the bar on to keep the spikes from ripping up the bag, I would like a 28" bar in the future for this saw, I will just let the extra length extend from the zip. Stihl spikes are very sharp like a knife.

Husqvarna used to offer a very nice heavy duffel (wood floor already installed) with a top zipper similar to the stihl duffel, but it seems they are discontinued.

Stihl spikes are very sharp like a knife.
I recall some guys making protective 'boots' for felling spikes, out of rubber, open cell packing foam, corrugated cardboard, etc., to protect in shipping.

I assume that someone could do the same to protect the inside of a duffel bag.

Could be as simple as a padded sleeve or collar that wraps around the guide bar, if installed; could mount to the bar studs if the guide bar is removed.

Philbert

Back