vermeer 1800 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treebilly

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have been running a 2 year old 1800 that has decided to turn the feed wheels in reverse when ever it feels like. I replaced the reverse switch by vermeers recomendation and still the same problem. I've got another switch on order that they tell me controls the feed wheels when something gets bound up. It's a pain in the arse that wouldn't exist if they would just have pure hydraulic controls. Has anyone else had this problem?

I had a very similar problem with my BC100xl. Turned out it was the wires going to the back that control the feed. Where they went through a hole in the metal they had chaffed and were shorting out. Made it run backwards. Hope this helps.

Mike

I've got a BC1000 and I've had lots of problems with the hydraulic control wheel. The two most recent was the machine just stopped feeding. Turned out the mag sensor had gone bad.

The latest was the machine started feeding in reverse...there are three sensors with pushrods mounted to the red feed bar. I pulled them off, hit them with WD40 wiped all the accumulated crap off and it started working right again. There are little metal rings in the pushrod that are supposed to spin, mine had gotten stuck.

I hope that's helpful.

I also had a wiring harness that wore through under one of the factory installed zip ties, that was supposed to prevent movement and wear. That caused endless headaches and burned out two CPU's at $700 each. Vermeer warranted the second CPU and I bought this machine 2nd hand.

I'm looking at stepping up to a BC1800 soon.

Lol.. after all that MattBanchero, you're still sticking with a Vermeer :innocent:
Why? I'm curious

I've got a BC1000 and I've had lots of problems with the hydraulic control wheel. The two most recent was the machine just stopped feeding. Turned out the mag sensor had gone bad.

The latest was the machine started feeding in reverse...there are three sensors with pushrods mounted to the red feed bar. I pulled them off, hit them with WD40 wiped all the accumulated crap off and it started working right again. There are little metal rings in the pushrod that are supposed to spin, mine had gotten stuck.

I hope that's helpful.

I also had a wiring harness that wore through under one of the factory installed zip ties, that was supposed to prevent movement and wear. That caused endless headaches and burned out two CPU's at $700 each. Vermeer warranted the second CPU and I bought this machine 2nd hand.

I'm looking at stepping up to a BC1800 soon.

Lol.. after all that MattBanchero, you're still sticking with a Vermeer :innocent:
Why? I'm curious
I'm not...I just ordered a Brush Bandit 255xp. Should be here in about 6 weeks. I wanted the really large feed opening of the 1800, but the 255 has it almost matched...and it's NOT a Vermeer. :)

For as robustly built as Vermeer machines are, they sure didn't put much thought into operational characteristics or longevity of mechanical systems. I say good choice on the Bandit.

I had a very similar problem with my BC100xl. Turned out it was the wires going to the back that control the feed. Where they went through a hole in the metal they had chaffed and were shorting out. Made it run backwards. Hope this helps.

Mike
Yup, I have had a morbark and vermeer both do this. Its a failure in the autofeed wiring. Start at the back of the controler and head to the knives, there will be a bad wire or connector there somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My 1800a runs great. My 1800xl is short of a nightmare. Switches and wiring problems through out.

Back