Ordering a Granberg mill....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VintageMike

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I want to make sure I'm ordering the right size mill. I'm going to order the 36" mill which will give me a maximum cut width of 32" because 2" is lost at the nose and the rear (motor) end, correct? The largest bar that would be able to be used is 36" but I could use the mill with smaller bars because the mill is adjustable? Would a 36" mill warrant getting the nose oiler?

I want to make sure I'm ordering the right size mill. I'm going to order the 36" mill which will give me a maximum cut width of 32" because 2" is lost at the nose and the rear (motor) end, correct?
This assumes you are removing the dogs otherwise you will lose more.

The largest bar that would be able to be used is 36" but I could use the mill with smaller bars because the mill is adjustable?
You can use larger bars if the nose guard is removed - not recommended.

Would a 36" mill warrant getting the nose oiler?
I would recommend an aux oiler for any length bar. They are dead easy to make

I've found that some bars cannot be grabbed too close to the tip without pinching the chain, and bringing it to a stop. With that, I probably lose about 3" there.

I've found that some bars cannot be grabbed too close to the tip without pinching the chain, and bringing it to a stop. With that, I probably lose about 3" there.

Yep. The only way to get the full width out of any given Granberg with minimal fuss is to get the next size longer bar.

To get around the sprocket bind drill 1/4" hole i middle of the 6 rivets . Drill & tap upright for 1/4 " bolt to gain more than an inch. Just finished the d&t but had too little time to use this evening. Following the lead of other more experienced.

I measured mine today with a 30" bar clamped behind the sprocket with the dogs still on the saw and it gives a 22" cut.
I d&t'd end of 1" square x 12" aluminum bar and with the dogs on my 661 a 42" oregon bar I gained an inch and a half from using original clamp. Worked as well cutting parallel slices [personal concern about murphy fielding his law] When the aluminum loosens hold on 1/4 20 thread I have heli-coil to firm it back up.

The rails on Granbergs 36" mill are 36" long. You lose a little on both ends with the way the uprights mount to the brackets.

On other words, no matter how long your bar you can't get more than about 34" without longer rails.

It's odd they say not to go over 36". They then sell the same mill with a 50" Cannon bar.

i have the 36" and the 72" granberg for my 3120 but frequently use the mini mill instead. you just need that first horizontal reference face and then you are only limited by the length of the bar. ive cut up plenty of big old black locust that way (quarter and slab) and the standard oiler seems to do fine (cant use aux in vertical anyways) just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have the 36" and the 72" granberg for my 3120 but frequently use the mini mill instead. you just need that first horizontal reference face and then you are only limited by the length of the bar. ive cut up plenty of big old black locust that way (quarter and slab) and the standard oiler seems to do fine (cant use aux in vertical anyways) just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That locust makes STONG planks.

Back