Noob Firewood business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madex

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
G'day, I'm just another canucklehead redneck who thought it would be a good idea to start a side firewood business! I'm a Noob in the business but i'm not a noob with equipment and hard work. Where to begin. Was cruising kijiji (like Craig's list an ad site not sure you all in the states have it) I have a fascination for chainsaws and power tools, deals deals, make a buck trading/fixing keeping, got mouths to feed! I happened to stumble across a firewood ad, it went like this:
"Looking for someone to process firewood the deal is as such, You can cut, split and store wood the cost is 25% of what you split the rest you sell as you see fit.''

Now I come to thinking one of every four pieces is for buddy that's not bad. So I call the guy, called and called! finally got through, We talked, after the call I felt he didn't take me seriously! My Gut tells me that this is going to be a good thing! Can't ignore this feeling, Call him back I say, "I want to see the wood lot, Meet you talk over the details" He says "I told you go and try it out" I reply "No I want to talk business with you my passion is hard work (15 year Bricklayer) I processed wood fell trees growing up I am serious about this! you say you want a long term person?! well i'm that guy!"

Met the guy today, Meeting went excellent got a good vibe we shot the **** for a while.. This wood lot is 5 minutes from my house I could ride my bike and back again for my lunch break. BTW I own a truck. I secured exclusive rights to this wood pile no one is touching it! Good ol' Handshake between two men (a Handshake is my word not sure about him)
He owns a arborist/tree clearing business says average a triaxle a day in limbed logs 35 year in business 25% for him but he seems lenient he's just to busy to process his own wood for winter.he has a wood splitter he is going to loan me until I get one of my own I think i'm sitting pretty, do this on my time off work. Currently I don't stop from sunrise to sunset been like it my entire life! WORK WORK WORK! love cutting wood love it! No stress, Hell I got 3 and a half cord already wanted! at $260 a cord wet! Going rate round here is $100 a face cord delivered in city. Anyways just wanted to see what you all think of that IMO sounds good, Some BIG WOOD in this pile its just that a unorganized grapple dropped pile. I know the wood has to dry but I can try bundling and selling at camp grounds on long weekends I love my fishing/Hunting even making charcoal out of the knotty crap.

So this is the exciting equipment talk now! after I met with my new BOSS. I know this guy he's a magician with chainsaws, His trade is Machinist/tool and die he's been a passionate chainsaw repair tech since chilidhood. I've followed him closely on kijiji He has pro saws all the specs in his posts knows his saws. I've talked to him on the phone before I'm good at fixing saws this guy in 20 minutes taught me so much more! SO back to the point. I go meet him I buy a mint Husky 385xp only a few years old I ask if he has a 28" bar and chain, he says 'Yeah I got all sizes" he says "you'll want to run a 7 hole/tooth sprocket/drive with a 28" bar it will be easier on the saw" He goes onto say "before you shut it off let it come down off the high and idle for 10 seconds or so let it cool it will last longer wont burn it prematurely I noticed that when you shut off your ms290." I picked up the 385xp for $800 with new changeable tip "Laser" bar and a pro chisel chain(says It cuts fast), that's not all! He had a old mint 288xp that he done up wanted $375 no bar and chain this saw looked new for 20+ years, I go to fire it up and wasn't running right he says "can't have it yet not perfect thought so but its still sucking air I wont sell crap" He has a sweet Ms 440 Magnum heated handles the works! Picked up the Ms440 Mag for $500 new oem bar and chain. Both saws all tuned all oem parts othen than the 28" bar on the 385xp. Total I spent $1300 he even tossed an adapter to run a stihl bar on the husky and gave me a 8 tooth sprocket/drive. WE talk he charges $35 an hour, his shop is clean and just a dream shop,

I met two down to earth people today not often that happens

Now this Wood lot this guy has some big logs I mean 30" plus, I know I'm going to need a tractor or forklift otherwise the old dodge is going to be tug o warring, I'm Mr. safe its seared in my head( a south paw BTW) I mean a 30''+ wide x 14' long log rolls and your in the way "squish", not to mention a 385xp in your hands! oh its a sweet saw! but the Ms440 is nice too(heated handles for winter)! I'm not a husky nor a stihl guy whatever works, arboristsite when I researched lot of husky fans! lots of stihl fans too!

I'm hoping to make good money doing it and some good hard work which is my stress reliever.

What do you all think of the wood deal? Are my saw choices good? Should I learn to make chain? I got a splitter from the wood lot guy should I invest in some wedges for cutting big logs and splitting big logs? would a old skid steer do the same job as a tractor/forklift? Anyone use a skid steer for this (fork attachment)? Is this the place to get advice on cutting large logs? most stuff I cut growing up was smaller then the saw bar. I don't want to be a statistic. I want to succeed make money grow old in one piece. Knowledge is crucial Safety is my main concern, I have connections I can work to pay off machinery/equipment through my day job masonry boss he's a good guy. So far I have spent $1300 on saws I got 2 nice powerhouses a 385xp 24" bar and a ms440 magnum 20" bar, I also have a MS290 16" bar I like it for felling/limbing its my old reliable picked it up for $100 never lets me down made lots back from her! I'd appreciate any advice on equipment, bucking big wood, peoples experiences knowledge is everything I've come to realize that in life. I'm sure others will read this who are new just like me and learn from it be safe. I hope you enjoyed reading my new adventure I'm undertaking in 2017 I tried to fit it all in lol love the smell of 2 stroke in the morn' time. Thanks for reading

Holy long first post Batman.

:)

Sounds like it's worth a try. How secure is this place? Can you leave gear there?

Given it sounds more or less like you'd be working at a perpetual pile of logs, I would likely keep the splitter beside it and just go at it. Cut rounds off the log pile. Split right where they land, toss splits in your truck right off the splitter. Then take the splits to wherever they are going & take it from there. Inexpensive 'starter' things to add, are some wedges (great for cutting rounds off big stuff without your saw getting stuck), and a tow strap or chain so you can pull logs off the pile with your truck if you get to needing to. I have never needed to, I just work at a pile from all around it, changing position as changing conditions dictate. You need to be very aware of what that pile is doing though, or will do. If you have an ATV & can leave it there, they're good for easily moving the splitter around, or pulling logs, or hooking a trailer to to throw splits into. Bigger investment would be a dump trailer for your truck - sure beats unloading by hand, but could cost you a few bucks. Not seeing the need for a tractor or forklift, for starters anyway. Does his splitter go vertical? If not, another splitter would be something to think about once you get your legs under you - either one that will go vertical, or a horizontal one with a loader & outfeed table. Then you can get into things like conveyors etc. - but I would start with what you have & build on it over time.

Sounds like you have the right saws for the job. I would say yes, get some plastic wedges to help you buck the big stuff. Since you don't have anyrhing other than a truck right now you don't want to get your saws pinched and lose time trying to get it out. Get a Peavy! Sounds like you'll want one with a long handle to roll some of those logs. I personally wouldnt suggest buying more equipment like a skid steer yet, give it some time first. Also, if you have the ability to store your portion of the wood on your property then I highly suggest you move the wood to your property! Maybe the guys is a stand-up person but maybe he's not. If something goes south and you have 8 cord of split wood on his property guess who owns the wood in the laws eyes? Handshakes and word of mouth agreements don't hold up in court so cover your ass. If working with a pickup then cut him a truck load and then yourself second, rinse and repeat. Good luck.

Sounds like a great score.
Beware we can help you spend on gear every cent you haven't even earned yet.
That said, sounds like a cant hook could be good for rolling those logs. It'll pay for itself eventually in longer chain life and fewer sharpenings.

I second the request for pictures. The thing with Arborist wood is it ain't cord wood, so could be quite a mix of sizes and quality, difficult to split, holding many surprises for your chains/splitting wedge to discover. Would be good to see his splitter also.

I can't see you keeping up with incoming wood, let alone making it through the existing pile, given the available hours, unless it's a darn good splitter and/or you have help.

Sounds like you have a lot work ahead of you. Where abouts in Canada you located?
And yes there is a lot of good ideas on here for equipment, and endless ways to spend money making new cool toys, and buying the next greatest saws.

I have a compact tractor AGCO ST22A, GMC 2500 duramax, and a 5x10 dump trailer that I use to get firewood with. If your going to get into the business of fire wood I would get a decent 3/4 ton truck and at least a 6x10, or 12with 4ft sides 5ton dump. Something that can deliver 5 cord at a time. Saves trips more money to be made then.

Check out A E Metal Werx on here he builds some mean wood splitters, they look very comparable if not better thought out and quality than a timber wolf or even a good wallenstien splitter as they are Canadian made.

10k trailer is good for 2 cords, maybe closer to 3 if the wood is light (like spruce). The birch I do is about 5000lbs a cord.

I haul 5.5 cords in my big truck, 30 ton Gvwr

Wowzer, you done stepped in it didn't ya? It gets beat to death all the time here. Everybody knows you were talking face cords. Wait until they find out that you have a blade on your chain saw. We're rebels around here, we sell by the face cord, if the government wants our face cords they will have to pry them from our cold dead hands.

Yes, it has been said many times, but as new people come into the forum it certainly needs to be repeated. No hope for educating some folks, but I am always optimistic about the new guys, and somebody needs to hold the high standard or everything just deteriorates like termite infested wood.

Nope. "Everybody" does not know. In fact, very few Consumers know, or even know how to ask about it, and a lot of unscrupulous wood cutters take advantage of that. A Cord is a legal measure, 128 CUBIC feet "Well Stacked". As long as "Newbies" do not know this, and as long as illegitimates are not specific, it needs to be re-stated. I don't sell my wood, but this time of year I am faced with a constant barrage of friends asking me where they can get a FAIR deal on some fire wood. I check on Craigs List and find someone selling "...a Cord" delivered for $240, and another man selling "A Cord" delivered for $250. When I get the details, man "A" is selling 4 feet by 16 feet by 16 INCHES or a little over 85 cubic feet, $2.82 a cubic foot. Man "B" is selling 4 feet by 24 feet by 16 inches, 128 cubic feet for $250, or about $1.95 a cubic foot. The honest man loses business and money because of the innocent ignorance of his customers and the predatory instincts of his competitors. It Aint Right, and somebody needs to say so.

I sell live oak only.
For pitmasters bbq places around me.
Gained like 20 pounds eating that stuff almost every day.
Free ribs etc.
Got a couple of clients tho.
One cord 250 to much competition here for fire wood and they sell cords for 150. Some even for 75.
So I'm out of the fire wood.
When my guys behave bad they get to chop wood lol

Wowzer, you done stepped in it didn't ya? It gets beat to death all the time here. Everybody knows you were talking face cords. Wait until they find out that you have a blade on your chain saw. We're rebels around here, we sell by the face cord, if the government wants our face cords they will have to pry them from our cold dead hands.

HAHA Jumped in with both feet, and no life rope

i guess you can learn from my mistake here Madex, specify what a Cord is when selling too.

Fireaxman, very few consumers on here and surely they are smart enough to do a bit of work and see what a cord is (google it) before they lay down any money. If not then please send them and their money my way. This is a rural area and we have lots of Amish here everybody knows enough to ask for the size of wood they want because there are so many stove and furnace types. Either 12", 16", 24" or 48". I sell my wood by trailer the load for $x.xx. Even the big boys sell by the face cord and state the length of the splits. Besides it sounds much more impressive by the face cord.
PS, we don't use ricks here.

Sale by the "Trailer", or by the "Pickup Load", or by the "Wheelbarrow Load", or even by the "Bundle" is perfectly acceptable to me. The consumer sees what he or she is buying and makes the appropriate value judgment for their situation. But if it aint a cord, don't call it a cord. How would you feel if you pulled in to a gas station and filled your truck at an advertised $2.50 a gallon and you were surprised that your 20 gallon tank took 30 "Gallons"? A "Gallon" is a Legal Unit of Sale, a specific amount. A "Cord Well Stacked" is similarly a legal unit of sale. Don't corrupt it.

No, when someone says cord, it's a cord, not a face cord!

Sale by the "Trailer", or by the "Pickup Load", or by the "Wheelbarrow Load", or even by the "Bundle" is perfectly acceptable to me. The consumer sees what he or she is buying and makes the appropriate value judgment for their situation. But if it aint a cord, don't call it a cord. How would you feel if you pulled in to a gas station and filled your truck at an advertised $2.50 a gallon and you were surprised that your 20 gallon tank took 30 "Gallons"? A "Gallon" is a Legal Unit of Sale, a specific amount. A "Cord Well Stacked" is similarly a legal unit of sale. Don't corrupt it.

Exactly.

Back