Bar choices for 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chads

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a new 395 xp and want to mill with it.
It came with 28" bar and I am thinking going with 36 or 42" bar.
Thinking of staying with 3/8 .050 chain so it don't eat so much wood .
What's availible out there for bars in this size.
I have a stihl 3/8 .050 36" with adapter but chains are a bit short. I think 115 dl but could be 114.
Almost easiest to just order some longer chains what size do I need?
Chad

42 would be 135dl.... and 36 is 115, however i can't find a big husky format bar in 3/8 .050 and 36.

Why do you want to run .050? Am I wrong in thinking that the cutters are the same size on .063 chain? .063 will oil better.

If you're set on .050, I bet you can get a 36" stihl bar in that gauge and run an adapter.

I do have the stihl 3/8 and the adapter bar will also go on the 460 so I guess I was thinking keep the same size for all.
I did not look for sure but do not want to have to change out rim sprocket when changing bars etc.
The 28" it came with has a .050 chain.
Chad

You don't have to change the rim sprocket when changing gauges of chain. As long as the pitch is the same. I would also definitely recommend a heavier chain than .050. When I mill with 3/8 I use .058, when I mill with .404 its .063. If you go to a heavier gauge you should have no trouble finding a bar in the longer length.

Back