3 point winch opinions? Farmi, Wallenstein, Others?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive had two fransguards and now have a Igland. There all way better and safer than not using a winch. I really like what you get for $$ with the Igland/Norse. The Fami are excellent but spendy.

Hi,
I don't have a new winch mine is a Farmi JL 250 I believe it is from 1978 +/ _ I have cut firewood all my life I am 54 or will be in a couple days. I have used an old Allis Chalmers 2wd 1940 model B and an old John Deer 420 crawler to work with.
I now have a 4x4 Kubota L2950 30 hp and this winch and this is the way to go I tell ya !. I bout the winch from a fella that had no idea what it was and was going to scrap it. I paid $250.00 for it I have run it for about 8 years now and winch only about 10 cord tree length every year. I have never had any issues with this winch if it blew up today I would buy a new one tomorrow. That being said I would look at Norse, Wallenstein and Farmi,
I would not get too worried about dealer support based upon my winch experience. You most likely will never see the dealer other than the sale itself. Buy one sooner than later you will never regret the money spent. If you can afford it get a good snatch block with a hinged side door so you can insert the cable and get a 8' strap too. I use mine to wrap around a tree then hook the snatch block into it. The strap will not mark up or harm the bark of the tree it is placed around when doing a 90* pull. I just read about a remote control man if that is an option you need one of those too haha. I have slogged back and forth to a tree enough to tell you that would be a nice thing to have.
I know I have a photo some place that shows the winch a little better but this is all I could find.DSCF0061.JPG DSCF0110.JPG

Hi,
I don't have a new winch mine is a Farmi JL 250 I believe it is from 1978 +/ _ I have cut firewood all my life I am 54 or will be in a couple days. I have used an old Allis Chalmers 2wd 1940 model B and an old John Deer 420 crawler to work with.
I now have a 4x4 Kubota L2950 30 hp and this winch and this is the way to go I tell ya !. I bout the winch from a fella that had no idea what it was and was going to scrap it. I paid $250.00 for it I have run it for about 8 years now and winch only about 10 cord tree length every year. I have never had any issues with this winch if it blew up today I would buy a new one tomorrow. That being said I would look at Norse, Wallenstein and Farmi,
I would not get too worried about dealer support based upon my winch experience. You most likely will never see the dealer other than the sale itself. Buy one sooner than later you will never regret the money spent. If you can afford it get a good snatch block with a hinged side door so you can insert the cable and get a 8' strap too. I use mine to wrap around a tree then hook the snatch block into it. The strap will not mark up or harm the bark of the tree it is placed around when doing a 90* pull. I just read about a remote control man if that is an option you need one of those too haha. I have slogged back and forth to a tree enough to tell you that would be a nice thing to have.
I know I have a photo some place that shows the winch a little better but this is all I could find.View attachment 557719 View attachment 557720

Nice looking rig!

No, at that time my clientele wanted green wood for the following year.
That certainly saves some handling the cost of many bins, the land to store them on. When I ran the numbers for here, it was almost worth charging less to send green wood, than sitting on it and sending a year or so later.

That certainly saves some handling the cost of many bins, the land to store them on. When I ran the numbers for here, it was almost worth charging less to send green wood, than sitting on it and sending a year or so later.
Agreed, all the extra handling can be a false economy unless one is moving small quantities to a customers who don't burn much wood, such as the way I'm doing it now.
Bigger isn't always better, stay small, keep it all.

Hi,
I know I have a photo some place that shows the winch a little better but this is all I could find.View attachment 557719 View attachment 557720

Great score on that one , when those winches pop up used around here they still go for 1200$ to 1500$ and don't last long , I got my Norse 180 for 750$ but I knew the seller and that was all he'd take from me , his advertised was 1200$ and I by luck saw the ad an hour after he posted it .
I think you're spot on regards worrying about dealer support , the major brands seem to be as dependable as a brick .

I called a equipment dealer after I got it home to ask some questions about it. They told me no matter what the condition they would have asked $1500 for it. They also said that there is nothing on the winch that could fail that they could not get parts for. They told me " dude you stole that winch"

Mines a Wallenstein, and it's one of my best buys,

standard.jpg

SR

Back