Couple Red Oak Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure you know what your talking about, but the last picture sure looks like Ash.

Sorry, not much Ash around here. I have one on my property. Lots of Pignut Hickory, have only seen a couple Shagbarks. Mostly Red and Chestnut Oak, a fair number of White Oaks, not as many as the others though. Here's a some close up pics showing the grain.

The tree to the left is my only Ash, the two to the right are Chestnut Oaks. I haven't seen any sign of EAB yet, but I know other tree services that have been taking them down, Joe.

Surprising how heavy those boards are isn't it? A lot of moisture. Nice looking boards.

Why leave such a tall stump? We'd get run off a job doing that. Normally cut close to flush.

Because I'm not a logger. I wait till I'm finished the rest of the job so I don't dull my chain flushing stumps, and I don't want the flair in the log I'm milling. I'll flush cut all the stumps when I'm finished all the other cutting. Why waist 2-3 feet of a good log. If I want a slab/plank with flair, I'll cut a 3' piece and mill it. If you look at the stump over the log, a picture I posted several days ago, you can see the stump is down to about an inch and a half. Plenty flush from where I sit, Joe.

I just looked and the picture of the flush cut in the back ground was on my other post "Where there is a will, there's a way". It's actually low enough it's hard to see in the pic. It's a couple feet in front of the pallet of wood pellets, Joe.

Its your stump and your tree. Do as you like. In my area oaks value is low. Only part of the tree with any cash value is the butt log.

Why leave such a tall stump? We'd get run off a job doing that. Normally cut close to flush.

Funny you mention this......it drives me nuts......we have a camp in PA, when I drive in, all I see are 2' stumps in peoples yards and camps everywhere.......drives me insane!

Funny you mention this......it drives me nuts......we have a camp in PA, when I drive in, all I see are 2' stumps in peoples yards and camps everywhere.......drives me insane!

2 years ago I went out to a 5 acre job that the owner had opened up to the public. Every single stump was 2-3ft tall and had some crazy notch that wasn't in any felling manual I've ever seen!

The big difference is I have a dang near picture perfect notch with no over or under cut, even hinge all the way across, put one log between a brick walk and a tractor ramp with about 12" clearance on each side, put the other log between keeper trees with out a scratch, had posted pics of the stump cut ground level, within about 1 1/2 inch, BEFORE you started whining about the height. You've posted before you have to cut your stumps 8" or less. We don't leave 8" stumps in peoples yards. We try to get them so a mower will clear them. You've asked before why I leave the stumps at 2', and I've answered before that I leave the stumps until all other cutting is done so I don't dull up chains and have guys standing around getting paid to watch some one change a chain or sharpen it. I've been around here long enough to know you are going to ask about a tall stump. You've been around here long enough I would think you would remember that I've answered your same question, with the same answer, several times. So, if I ever post a pic of a stump that hasn't been flushed off yet, and you want to know why it's so high, the answer is still, I save all stump cuts for the end of the job. We do residential work so the stumps have to be real low, and often pick up dirt and pebbles. Seems to me that sometimes you would think,"I wonder if I ever asked this question before?", and then think, "I wonder what the answer was?", and then this little light bulb would flash on and you would say,"Oh, that's Joe, he always saves his stump cuts for last so he doesn't dull up his chain". DANG Valley, do you ever pay attention to the answers people give you to the questions you ask? High stump, residential yard, cut last, High stump, residential yard, cut last, High stump, residential yard, cut last. Now I should be good to post 3 more pics of high stumps before you ask, "why leave such a tall stump?" Next time I'm up your way I'm gonna look you up and buy you a couple of good beers and wash them down with some Sailor Jerry's, with a plate of home made venison bologna and sharp cheddar cheese. After each round I'll shake your hand and introduce myself as Joe. Then, MAYBE, the next time you see a high stump cut you will wonder if it was Joe? Then you, MIGHT, look at the signature and say yep, that's Joe, he cuts his stumps last, he told me that, yep he did. So, I don't have to ask the same question again. If I do ask the same question again, Joe will probably go into another half hour rant how he cuts his stumps last, Joe.

The big difference is I have a dang near picture perfect notch with no over or under cut, even hinge all the way across, put one log between a brick walk and a tractor ramp with about 12" clearance on each side, put the other log between keeper trees with out a scratch, had posted pics of the stump cut ground level, within about 1 1/2 inch, BEFORE you started whining about the height. You've posted before you have to cut your stumps 8" or less. We don't leave 8" stumps in peoples yards. We try to get them so a mower will clear them. You've asked before why I leave the stumps at 2', and I've answered before that I leave the stumps until all other cutting is done so I don't dull up chains and have guys standing around getting paid to watch some one change a chain or sharpen it. I've been around here long enough to know you are going to ask about a tall stump. You've been around here long enough I would think you would remember that I've answered your same question, with the same answer, several times. So, if I ever post a pic of a stump that hasn't been flushed off yet, and you want to know why it's so high, the answer is still, I save all stump cuts for the end of the job. We do residential work so the stumps have to be real low, and often pick up dirt and pebbles. Seems to me that sometimes you would think,"I wonder if I ever asked this question before?", and then think, "I wonder what the answer was?", and then this little light bulb would flash on and you would say,"Oh, that's Joe, he always saves his stump cuts for last so he doesn't dull up his chain". DANG Valley, do you ever pay attention to the answers people give you to the questions you ask? High stump, residential yard, cut last, High stump, residential yard, cut last, High stump, residential yard, cut last. Now I should be good to post 3 more pics of high stumps before you ask, "why leave such a tall stump?" Next time I'm up your way I'm gonna look you up and buy you a couple of good beers and wash them down with some Sailor Jerry's, with a plate of home made venison bologna and sharp cheddar cheese. After each round I'll shake your hand and introduce myself as Joe. Then, MAYBE, the next time you see a high stump cut you will wonder if it was Joe? Then you, MIGHT, look at the signature and say yep, that's Joe, he cuts his stumps last, he told me that, yep he did. So, I don't have to ask the same question again. If I do ask the same question again, Joe will probably go into another half hour rant how he cuts his stumps last, Joe.
How many times can I like this????

Back