Stihl kombi extension

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troda

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have a 130 with pruner. Need extension tube. Anyone have any opinions on steel vs carbon fiber. $69 vs $129. 40% weight savings. CF pole comes in at less than 2 lbs with clamp.
Tom

If you think you will use the extension a lot, the CF may be worth its weight in gold. I would stick with steel if it's only occasional use. I also have the 130 and thinking of buying the pole-saw attachment with an extension. I will opt for the CF and pay the extra $60 ... mostly because I'm almost 60 y.o. (ain't no young buck no more).

I'm 51. Weight probably won't bother me now but who knows later. Would be used with trimmer also.

I have an older model KM85. I have the aluminium extension, there is no "steel" extension. I also have the chainsaw attachment as well as the hedge trimmer. If you donot intend to use the chainsaw extension regularly you could easily mount a circular saw blade to your straight shaft trimmer and cut smaller branches up to 2-3 inches.

I have the aluminium extension, there is no "steel" extension.
Good catch! But I bet the aluminum extension feels as heavy as steel when held next to the CF extension. ;)
And thanks for the circular blade idea. I'll have to research that one further ... meaning disassembly & test-fit.

I have no problems whatsoever using the aluminium extension. Actually I simply hook up the engine in the regular harness and that takes then the largest part of the weight.

I am talking about a combination of this

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/kombisystem-attachments/fsgrass/
with something similar to this
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/trimmer-heads-and-blades/circularchisel/

You CANNOT use this part with a circular blade.
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/kombisystem-attachments/fsbcurvd/

Of course I am NOT recomending it and everyone doing it is doing it at his own risk.

I of course only use the circular blade on small trees and undergrowth and sometimes I happen to slip because I am clumsy and do erratic movements with my hands and strangely a branch from a tree above me fall's to the ground... :eek:

What I might add is that the cut is usually much "cleaner" compared to the chainsaw. But of course the circular saw is limited to what diametre it can cut and pinching a blade is equally easy so one should know how to cut branches.

Was at the dealer the other day. I asked him about the extension. He said it was steel. Looks like steel and heavy as hell. Finish Isnbright unlike the shafts on the accessories I already have. I will bring a magnet next time.

Last time I looked only aluminum pipe with solid steel drive shaft. But they might have changed to ceaper materials.

Went in today. Definately steel. Verified with a magnet. It's heavy! Ordered the CF one.

I have an older model KM85. I have the aluminium extension, there is no "steel" extension. I also have the chainsaw attachment as well as the hedge trimmer. If you donot intend to use the chainsaw extension regularly you could easily mount a circular saw blade to your straight shaft trimmer and cut smaller branches up to 2-3 inches.

THANKS for the clarification. I actually thought you meant using a blade from a carpenter's circular saw. :eek:

Yes, use a Stihl or another weedeater maker's blade. Don't use a carpenter's circular saw blade. I believe they are much too stiff. You want it to give if you hit a stone, not explode!

I did about 120 pines with my km90 and aluminum extension sure gets heavy after 4 hours. When I did about 200 2 months later it only took 2 hours to feel as if it had been 8 hours at it. CF pole is in my near future I think.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I not going to use it nearly as much as you guys. However I don't want to work that hard when I do need it.

Sometimes need a telescoping extension that goes in the other direction so one can brace the device against the ground versus holding the full weight for long periods. Hmmm ... perhaps I just created an idea.

They say you are not suppose to run the saw with the CF extension because it doesn't hold up like the steel but I have been using the CF for years and I don't let just anybody use it, in fact its pretty much just me.

Back