Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fella that I cleared the house lot for stopped by, asked if I could clear the poweline path for him , he said that he admitted to himself that he couldn't get it done lol
It's a nice 20' wide swath about 500 yards with nicer bigger trees than 95%of the house lot :)
He did get one of the brush piles burnt , it took him 3 days to burn the one in the center, he's got another just as big and then the same amount again around the perimeter plus the power line , I think he'll be busy for a while lol

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC

Goodness, we're suffering from an acute lack of scrounge today. Fortunately, treatment is at hand.

22nd Feb 2.jpg

This tree was standing dead and 'fell over' back in May. I had thought it was a candlebark as it was standing with several others and being dead it was lacking leaves and stuff for ease of identification. There's another reason why I hadn't identified it earlier which I'm a bit embarrassed about. Again. No, my nuts didn't fall off.

Not a big unit, about 16 inches at the base mebbe. As I was cutting it up however, I noticed the pale chips coming out which is rather unusual for a candlebark, which normally produces orange chips.

22nd Feb 3.jpg

Apart from the colour, the splitting test is also diagnostic. A candlebark round that big should split in a couple of hits.

22nd Feb 4.jpg

8 hits later, I diagnose blue gum. I was aided by a fissure that had opened as it had started to dry. Higher BTUs in the blue gum than the candlebark but also more ash, probably an even trade.

One bit had this little lady under it...temporarily.

22nd Feb 6.jpg

Ended up with one cube of blue gum.

22nd Feb 5.jpg

Also put the longer skinny branch poles on top that can be used as part of Cowgirl's community bonfire in May.

22nd Feb 1.jpg

:)

I was wondering if you were going to cut those thin logs with your big saws until I read its for the Bon .
Now we could put peer pressure to convince you to buy another smaller saw. But I figure there's no point..... If you hang around here that will automatically happen through osmosis.:D
Then again It may back fire and I end up buying a 661 :crazy:

I was wondering if you were going to cut those thin logs with your big saws until I read its for the Bon .
Now we could put peer pressure to convince you to buy another smaller saw. But I figure there's no point..... If you hang around here that will automatically happen through osmosis.:D
Then again It may back fire and I end up buying a 661 :crazy:

Well as it happens I used Limby to cut a those 3 inch diameter poles to roughly trailer length so they wouldn't attract unwanted attention from the constabulary. After I lose access to the Lady Farm, well anything could happen, including me buying a smaller saw. Alternatively, I'll create a customised saw horse that will accommodate 20 @dancan sized poles to tie down and burn through with Limby in one go. :chainsaw:

You know you need a 661 of your own :sweet:. It is fate.

Goodness, we're suffering from an acute lack of scrounge today. Fortunately, treatment is at hand.

This tree was standing dead and 'fell over' back in May. I had thought it was a candlebark as it was standing with several others and being dead it was lacking leaves and stuff for ease of identification. There's another reason why I hadn't identified it earlier which I'm a bit embarrassed about. Again. No, my nuts didn't fall off.

Not a big unit, about 16 inches at the base mebbe. As I was cutting it up however, I noticed the pale chips coming out which is rather unusual for a candlebark, which normally produces orange chips.

Apart from the colour, the splitting test is also diagnostic. A candlebark round that big should split in a couple of hits.

8 hits later, I diagnose blue gum. I was aided by a fissure that had opened as it had started to dry. Higher BTUs in the blue gum than the candlebark but also more ash, probably an even trade.

One bit had this little lady under it...temporarily.

Ended up with one cube of blue gum.

Also put the longer skinny branch poles on top that can be used as part of Cowgirl's community bonfire in May.

:)

Maybe a silly question...but can I ask about the giant spider on the back of your trailer? Is that a sticker or...? :eek:

Hay Cowboy!
Look at the back of your trailer...
You have picked up a hitch-hiker.

David

Maybe a silly question...but can I ask about the giant spider on the back of your trailer? Is that a sticker or...? :eek:

I assume that is a black widow and look at that large spider on the back of your trailer!

We have strict naming rules for our animals in Australia. The one with the red stripe on her back is called a red back spider :surprised3:. They're venomous but no match for a size 10 boot. The big one on the trailer was a huntsman, I had presumably carried it to the trailer on a piece of wood without noticing. Probably would have noticed if it had bitten me. Cowlass had one in her schoolbag yesterday and was not impressed. The one I don't want to meet is the funnelweb and @Jeffkrib has many more of those up in Sydney than we do down here. Get a good bite from one of those and you're boned, they can even hit you through shoes.

Noodling this morning. For some reason this Stihl RM chain noodles much better than other brands/styles of low profile chain.

This elm stump wasn't coming apart without a little convincing.
View attachment 559909 View attachment 559910 View attachment 559911

Nice noodles. And I like the way you're looking after your figure, Steve.

I missed a good one this week. My church! Cut down 3 huge maples on Saturday. Truck was in shop over the weekend. By Monday only thing left was big rounds. I was bummed.

See @Jeffkrib, this is why everyone needs a 661. Bad luck on the missed scrounge, cheath. Could you not have a go at it anyway? Bit of noodling or roll them up onto a trailer?

Everytime I think about how beautiful Australia is and how cool you aussies are and how bad I want to visit...I see spiders like that and its back to NOPE NOPE NOPE
yeah Drew. my wife says that OZ is on the bucket list of places to go. just showed here this. :crazy2:
Atracinae, commonly known as Australian funnel-web spiders, is a subfamily of spiders in the funnel-web spider family Hexathelidae.[1] All members of the subfamily are native to Australia.[1] Atracinae consists of three genera: Atrax, Hadronyche, and Illawarra, comprising 35 species. A number of the species produce venom which is dangerous to humans and bites by spiders of six of the species have caused severe injuries to victims. The bite of the Sydney funnel-web spider (Atrax robustus) is potentially deadly, but there have been no fatalities since the introduction of modern first aid techniques and antivenom.[2]

Contents
[1Description
  • 5External links

Everytime I think about how beautiful Australia is and how cool you aussies are and how bad I want to visit...I see spiders like that and its back to NOPE NOPE NOPE
images

Yes, the wildlife want to kill you but the women want to love you, that's gotta be worth sumthin'. Besides, as @farmer steve says, we've got the antivenom now so you might not die. Antivenom for the spiders and snakes that is. ;)

Latest posts

Back