Why such few ms231 spares??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam08ski

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have never struggled to find a decent cylinder and piston for a saw. Yet now I do with this 231. Secondly no dealer can find me some caber rings for this saw. I have had to get some from Greece. Now I bought this saw for around $50 dollars in need of a new p&c, can I find a decent spare... no. Had to refinish the cylinder and the rings I got with an AM piston don't even fit in the grooves, they are 0.2mm over spec in thickness. Sod this crap, I am going back to my day job... is it me or are the 231's rare and was this because no one liked them?

If I was keeping it I would. But still I can't find an oem cylinder. TBH if I wasn't so far down the line of fettling this cylinder I would put an AM p&c on it and get shot of it.

If 231 translates back to the old 023 as far as engine size than you will have a hard time finding the parts you need . The 023, 231?? was kind of a waste for Stihl . They weren't as popular as the 025's and 021's and the newer versions of those saws.

the 023 was changed to the ms230, and the 021,023, and 025 was the same saw, except for the engine/piston size.

The ms231 and ms251 are the same saw, except for the engine size

I don't know if the bottom ends of the newer saws are the same but the old 021 had a chintzy crank compared to the 025 which is why they held up better than the 021. I don't know about the old 023 because I never had to tear one down.

If it's not sold in large enough numbers, aftermarket parts manufacturers won't bother with it.
The MS231 doesn't sell because it's really expensive, albeit unless straight gassed (like I take yours was) it will last many years with nothing more than basic maintenance, unlike most big box store specials.

You have to remember people have no clue how much proper chainsaws cost. I get asked occassionally how much my MS362CM costs. People just cannot believe a chainsaw will cost that much, because on eBay they see all the "professional grade" China specials going for as much as they are worth.

023 cylinder wont fit. Is see oem cylinders arround 250euro.

I think I am just going to have to sell it and spend the money upgrading my 038 Mag to a new Stihl bar and chain combo... yes sounds a good idea!!

Yeah looks straight gassed as it was mainly aluminium transfer onto the cylinder, no scoring..

Latest posts

Back