How much would you charge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gixxerjoe04

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Had someone contact me about slabbing out two red oak logs for them. Asked for a price or if I was interested in splitting the wood, which I'm not since it's red oak. They're 36" diameter and 11 and 7.5 feet long, what would you all charge to cut a tree up for someone? My main problem is only have a 36" and a 60" bar, so would have to use my 60" and doubt I could do that by myself unlike using my 36" bar.

If you give them a fair bid that takes into account your labor, fuel, wear and tear on your equipment, and the insurance that you should have to do stuff like that on someone's property, they will most likely think it's very expensive and they won't want to hire you. Of course it's difficult to figure that rate out exactly, so you can just bid the job like you really don't want to get it and that way if they do take you up on it, at least you feel like you're making a good chunk of change.

That's what I would do anyway.

I know there's guys in your area with woodmizers offering milling services. Check they're fees on Craigslist, you likely can't compete. I know this because I own a trailer mounted bandmill and you wouldn't get me outta my drive way for their hourly fee. Mill setup, maintenance, travel time and fees all add up. Either do it for the love, fun or wood. No one can really tell you what your time is worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know there's guys in your area with woodmizers offering milling services. Check they're fees on Craigslist, you likely can't compete. I know this because I own a trailer mounted bandmill and you wouldn't get me outta my drive way for their hourly fee. Mill setup, maintenance, travel time and fees all add up. Either do it for the love, fun or wood. No one can really tell you what your time is worth.

Yea I don't know why he contacted me since I run a chainsaw mill but he knows my wife and had seen posts she's shared of mine, def not efficient compared to a bandmill. Guess my only advantage to two of the mills around me is the cut width.

Yea I don't know why he contacted me since I run a chainsaw mill but he knows my wife and had seen posts she's shared of mine, def not efficient compared to a bandmill. Guess my only advantage to two of the mills around me is the cut width.

The guys in my area making money are selling slabs. Maybe I'm just not very efficient but I can't imagine turning out enough board feet with my CSM to justify an hourly rate.

My neighbor knows I have slabs stacked all around my house. He saw an add on craigslist where the guy was asking $100 apiece for four foot slabs and sold out. I may stick some of mine on there just to see what happens, Joe.

Had someone contact me about slabbing out two red oak logs for them. Asked for a price or if I was interested in splitting the wood, which I'm not since it's red oak. They're 36" diameter and 11 and 7.5 feet long, what would you all charge to cut a tree up for someone? My main problem is only have a 36" and a 60" bar, so would have to use my 60" and doubt I could do that by myself unlike using my 36" bar.
In your position, I'd add enough to pay for 42" bar & two loops of chain. My oregon 42" bar will reach a 38" slice with 1/4" hole in center of sprockt, 1" sq. AL bar outboard. it is a one man op 4 me. The wood working neighbor to the back porch next to avatar, opined that I could ask whatever I wanted. He indicated supply & demand would come into play, since I'm the only person he knew of ,who cut these slices. There is a unique premium for what we manufacture from raw logs. Who else cuts live edge boards, planks, round table tops. Expand your perspective & pocket bulge a little. That 5 foot bar w/two loops was over $500 w/shipping prolly with a power head to spin that chain we end up with more funds invested than civilians are willing to put out for a few bits. i explain I've got $5k [my total set of equiptment] that is what it took for me to bring this to your logs. You can get just enough to do your own logs for this many times what I will charge to slice your logs. But my experience in doing this safely & accuratly isn't yours yet. Own your personal value into this unique individual effort customer wants from you. Please don't low ball yourself.

In your position, I'd add enough to pay for 42" bar & two loops of chain. My oregon 42" bar will reach a 38" slice with 1/4" hole in center of sprockt, 1" sq. AL bar outboard. it is a one man op 4 me. The wood working neighbor to the back porch next to avatar, opined that I could ask whatever I wanted. He indicated supply & demand would come into play, since I'm the only person he knew of ,who cut these slices. There is a unique premium for what we manufacture from raw logs. Who else cuts live edge boards, planks, round table tops. Expand your perspective & pocket bulge a little. That 5 foot bar w/two loops was over $500 w/shipping prolly with a power head to spin that chain we end up with more funds invested than civilians are willing to put out for a few bits. i explain I've got $5k [my total set of equiptment] that is what it took for me to bring this to your logs. You can get just enough to do your own logs for this many times what I will charge to slice your logs. But my experience in doing this safely & accuratly isn't yours yet. Own your personal value into this unique individual effort customer wants from you. Please don't low ball yourself.
Your not taking regional differences into account. Here in the PNW there are tons of people doing this. There's at least 2-3 guys in a 10 mile radius of me milling and selling slabs and many more in the greater metro area. Around here you can't throw a rock without hitting a sawmilll.
I frequently see logs on craigslist with outrageous asking prices because the owner dropped their yard tree, see how much live edge slabs are going for and think they're gonna make a mint off the tree. Too many hands out in that equation to be profitable.

Your not taking regional differences into account. Here in the PNW there are tons of people doing this. There's at least 2-3 guys in a 10 mile radius of me milling and selling slabs and many more in the greater metro area. Around here you can't throw a rock without hitting a sawmilll.
I frequently see logs on craigslist with outrageous asking prices because the owner dropped their yard tree, see how much live edge slabs are going for and think they're gonna make a mint off the tree. Too many hands out in that equation to be profitable.
As I indicated supply and demand. I was slicing 37" , 50" long ash 1 5/16" thick. A young man with children asked if any of those slices were for sale. $15 left only a couple $ in his wallet, but he was happy & my mix and bar oil was more than covered for the eight live edge boards drying at my place.
My attitude is this; doing this as a hobby is enjoyable, getting paid to leave boards with someone else is not fun it's work, subject to PO opinion which is often pita! Pain in my rear is expensive to customer. Especially when making an article from dryed wood a year or three down the road is more fun and profit from items that I made start to finish :) Mid west few csm'rs, fewer of us who go after the slices I do. Most are cutting posts ,2xs & boards for farm use. To each his own: Rarefish is in MD so neither of our local conditions apply directly.

Back