Brand Spankin 3120XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artemis

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up my 3120 today, and I must say it is quite intimidating in size. Although it is much lighter than I expected, so no complaints there.

Got it at a sinful price as well. I think MSRP down in the states is $1800 before taxes, and I got mine for $1568 CDN after taxes. I dunno about you guys in the states since taxes are different, but I saved over $1000 CDN on this saw. It's somewhat of a long story, so I'll just say I found a nice loophole and that's how I got the price so low.

Overall I'm very excited to finally get a proper milling saw, and I plan on making my Alaskan mill this weekend. I'll think I'll throw on a 42" bar.

Show me your 3120! And milling setup!

Attachments

• 20170224_201131.jpg
    20170224_201131.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
  • 20170224_194210.jpg
    20170224_194210.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
I watched a chainsaw mill the other day, I didn't realize how SLOW they are.

Can do a whole log on the Woodmizer in the time it takes for one cut with a chainsaw mill.

One of my 360s built a whole house, the guy just freehand milled all the lumber. His haw hit the floor when he watched the Woodmizer running!

I watched a chainsaw mill the other day, I didn't realize how SLOW they are.

Can do a whole log on the Woodmizer in the time it takes for one cut with a chainsaw mill.

One of my 360s built a whole house, the guy just freehand milled all the lumber. His haw hit the floor when he watched the Woodmizer running!

Ya the woodmizer is fast. The problem is the cost and portability. Its very expensive, and you can't take it everywhere because of its size and weight. It's good if you plan on making lots of lumber at home, but not practical for milling large slabs out in the bush.

Picked up my 3120 today, and I must say it is quite intimidating in size. Although it is much lighter than I expected, so no complaints there.

Got it at a sinful price as well. I think MSRP down in the states is $1800 before taxes, and I got mine for $1568 CDN after taxes. I dunno about you guys in the states since taxes are different, but I saved over $1000 CDN on this saw. It's somewhat of a long story, so I'll just say I found a nice loophole and that's how I got the price so low.

Overall I'm very excited to finally get a proper milling saw, and I plan on making my Alaskan mill this weekend. I'll think I'll throw on a 42" bar.

Show me your 3120! And milling setup!

what loophole? lol 3120's are easy to get a deal on because they are not in demand. i'll guess it was in stock at wherever you got it. dealers will have them on their shelves for months sometimes and flog them off for cheap. i've seen them at $1399 before tax which would be about same as yours after tax and is a killer deal that anyone with patience can get. most dealers don't even stock 3120's. i don't mill much anymore but i got some pics saved i think. i'll go find them.

phone pics 032.jpg phone pics 033.jpg phone pics 038.jpg phone pics 039.jpg phone pics 040.jpg phone pics 043.jpg phone pics 044.jpg phone pics 045.jpg

For milling, I would seriously consider an adjustable carb. @Guru LLC
Would a replacement carb be less hassle than re-working the stock carb? I've also read about a different coil and flywheel option for higher rpm...my 3120 will only be used for milling and the off chance that a monster has to come down

Would a replacement carb be less hassle than re-working the stock carb? I've also read about a different coil and flywheel option for higher rpm...my 3120 will only be used for milling and the off chance that a monster has to come down

it's not hard at all to add the high speed needle if your crafty. most carbs already have the spot to drill. just copy how a high speed circuit is drilled in an older carb with it's own high speed fuel supply from the metering chamber. first 2 i paid Terry to mod and i have succesfully modded 3 since with nothing more then a foredom, drill bits, and taps. could get by with a drill even. heck i even turned a screw down into a needle using a drill to spin the screw and a diamond wheel to shape it the last time lol. only crazy people do anything more then race or mill with a 3120. 395 will do almost everything better IMO.

I just noticed the first time I was cutting with it that there's only adjustment for the idle and Low. What carbs would you recommend, and who can supply one to me?

Modding the original is best. Only other one I looked at was an 084 tilly but it's significantly smaller then a 3120 carb. Just PM @tlandrum he can mod your carb to be fully adjustable. It was well worth the first 2 I had done.

Modding the original is best. Only other one I looked at was an 084 tilly but it's significantly smaller then a 3120 carb. Just PM @tlandrum he can mod your carb to be fully adjustable. It was well worth the first 2 I had done.
Would you or blsnelling be able to provide a picture of the modded carb please? You said you did it yourself and that it's not that hard, I'd be interested in doing it myself too. I have taps and dies and access to equipment that could probably get the job done, depending on what's needed exactly. Detailed pics would be greatly appreciated!

Would you or blsnelling be able to provide a picture of the modded carb please? You said you did it yourself and that it's not that hard, I'd be interested in doing it myself too. I have taps and dies and access to equipment that could probably get the job done, depending on what's needed exactly. Detailed pics would be greatly appreciated!

no can do man. i never took pics and sold out of all my 3120's when i decided i wasn't going to mill anymore. i was in your exact same boat and a pic really does help but understanding carbs is big too. seeing someone elses work first is what makes it easy. the thought if screwing up is intimidating due to the expense of a carb. Paying someone to do your first one is not that much and you can look at it once you receive it .

Back