pricing logs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we've been dropping ash trees all summer and have about close to 75 logs, each 10 inches in diameter or more and at least 12 feet long. more trees will be coming down soon and we should have over 100 when done.

the smaller diameter logs will be sold for firewood. (8" or under)

trying to sell to a local sawmill. we can load the log truck for them as well with an excavator.

not sure how to price these out...is it by board foot?

thanks for any help with this!

local sawmill told me ash prices are still stable in this part of the world. His scale count did not match mine, then I figured out he was using Doyle and I was using INt'l. Which ticks me off. Doyle is a major screw job under 24" diameter. If you have access to a good trailer load them on top of a chain so they can be lifted off and haul them yourself after you find an interested buyer

local sawmill told me ash prices are still stable in this part of the world. His scale count did not match mine, then I figured out he was using Doyle and I was using INt'l. Which ticks me off. Doyle is a major screw job under 24" diameter. If you have access to a good trailer load them on top of a chain so they can be lifted off and haul them yourself after you find an interested buyer

we just added some oak logs to the pile and i'll be cutting several huge cherry trees down this week. we don't have any thing large enough to haul them. there is a potential buyer coming up to look at them maybe next week. i told the owner of the golf course to not expect a gold mine out of the logs because they have been sitting for at least two months or more.

right now he just wants to get rid of them and if he can make some money on them, it'll pay for our lunches. ha ha

thanks for all the input!!

we just added some oak logs to the pile and i'll be cutting several huge cherry trees down this week. we don't have any thing large enough to haul them. there is a potential buyer coming up to look at them maybe next week. i told the owner of the golf course to not expect a gold mine out of the logs because they have been sitting for at least two months or more.

right now he just wants to get rid of them and if he can make some money on them, it'll pay for our lunches. ha ha

thanks for all the input!!

cherry prices are in the toilet around here, couple yrs ago it was right up there with white oak

Was thinking about going back east to cut some more green gold, but was wondering if rotary and slicer have held their value?
Would be nice to know what to pay on the stump. I ain't paying anymore than a buck a foot on bush run timber. That's roughly 500$ per cord, which is a pretty slimey way of measuring wood Lol

When I walk into a bush, I can see it, I can smell it, I can hug and dump it. If I say its worth 10g's on the stump, then there is a pretty good chance you'll get 17,500 once it's veneered out.
Stay small, keep it all!

Was thinking about going back east to cut some more green gold, but was wondering if rotary and slicer have held their value?
Would be nice to know what to pay on the stump. I ain't paying anymore than a buck a foot on bush run timber. That's roughly 500$ per cord, which is a pretty slimey way of measuring wood Lol

Walnut is still good but cherry and red oak in the toilet. #1 hard maple dropped from $700/mbf to $500 overnight couple months ago at the local sawmill ( delivered) seems like you got to be on top of the market to know what to sell and when

I know this is an older post, but click here for the TN's Forest Products Bulletin. Have a blessed day.

Walnut is still good but cherry and red oak in the toilet. #1 hard maple dropped from $700/mbf to $500 overnight couple months ago at the local sawmill ( delivered) seems like you got to be on top of the market to know what to sell and when
In some ways I'm glad I got out when I did, but it is all relative. When I left the hardwoods in 07 a two faced clear sided sawlog was worth a buck a foot with 1/3 heart and A+ rotary hard maple veneer was worth 7$ a foot US.
I could do well on a 1/4 of that, knowing what I know now.
I still have another kick at the can or two. Hand logging as we know isn't very physicaly demanding unless your working steep ground.
Rolling with the punches is what it's all about and finding your own nicque.

Latest posts

Back