Base gasket delete question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubletrouble

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am thinking of deleting the base gasket from my chainsaw. Is there an average or standard thickness to these gaskets? I measured the squish (by inserting solder through the spark plug hole and checking it that way) and I have .033 now. I loosely measure the case gasket with a digital caliper and it measured .019 so if the base gasket is of the same thickness wouldn't that bring the piston to close to the top of the cylinder if I were to delete the base gasket? if I understand correctly the desired squish is in the area of .020
Thank for any replies

That's why I'm considering it. I still don't want to go crazy though. Don't want to push the limits and blow it up, I do use it regularly.......

That's why I'm considering it. I still don't want to go crazy though. Don't want to push the limits and blow it up, I do use it regularly.......
If it hasn't blown up yet, chances are good it won't. The basic design is sturdy and a little compression increase won't break it.

Right, I agree. First I might consider a muffler mod. I just have to figure out how to do it. The muffler is a 2 piece design but one of the pieces is crimped over the other. I don't know if I trust my welding skills to weld it back together if I were to cut it apart. May try to see what I can do without disassembling it.

Right, I agree. First I might consider a muffler mod. I just have to figure out how to do it. The muffler is a 2 piece design but one of the pieces is crimped over the other. I don't know if I trust my welding skills to weld it back together if I were to cut it apart. May try to see what I can do without disassembling it.
I'd do the muffler mod first. My clone ended up at around 0.032" after the gasket delete, and it runs very well. Zenoah engines generally have small combustion chambers, but I don't know about the redesigned engine in that one. Still, you may not get much from going to 0.020".

Do you really have to uncrimp it? Isn't that the dual outlet muffler? I would think you could drill or use a die grinder to add more holes in the baffle through the exhaust port hole.

Maybe post some pictures of what you've got to start with.

I'll post some pics tomorrow. I'll be cutting in the morning so it'll be in the evening. I could probably do something from the exhaust port side. Seems to me that the "guts" are attached to the front section ( opposite the exhaust port.
Oh, yes it is a dual port exit.....

Well, there's the problem - that is a cat muffler and those filaments packed in there are quite restrictive. I'd buy one of the dual outlet mufflers off eBay, as they probably won't be cat mufflers.

The good news is you can expect large gains just with the muffler. I'd fix that first, and leave the cylinder on until you see how it runs. If you want to you can eventually put a degree wheel on it and see what the port timing is, and go from there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muffler-Muf...573338?hash=item33c90f939a:g:nRwAAOSwdGFYq75J

That's a cat muffler?? I guess I pictured something way different. I'm more used to cats in a vehicle I guess.
Is there a way to just cut the cat out of it? Just curious.....

Latest posts

Back