Rent a Bucket Truck or Hire the Job Out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the spruce would need to be 70 for that cottonwood to be 100 let alone 116 lol something does not add up. I'm thinking 75 to 85 footer. Like this one was
I'm thinking that too. The top of those 3 phase are usually about 20-25' in the air atlEast around me. So 85 max probably.

I'm thinking that too. The top of those 3 phase are usually about 20-25' in the air atlEast around me. So 85 max probably.
Lol thats not a 3 phase its open wire secondaries and cable with likely a street light wire on top. 3 phase will be 3 conductors on top usually side by side with neutral bottom but sometimes stacked and usually 12.5kv but sometimes much higher all variable by local utility needs and can be estimated by counting the bells on the insulators and generally the size of conductors. Then you have 69 line "known by old school line clearance" they can be 69 kv and up that feed the substation from a larger substation or powerplant and those run ungrounded with a smaller static wire on top. I have trimmed everything from 880 to 500kv, I'm not a lineman but I have a very good understanding of it and most importantly for tree trimming know which wire is normally hot. 500 kv is those huge towers that basically supply it all and are coming out of nuclear power plants or hydro electric when trimming those its done by notch and drop. Basically if the tree can fall within fifteen feet of any of its conductors the tree will be removed. They will jump 15 feet out and getcha like a giant spark plug :yes: It was fun felling huge trees all day working on those lines here is a 500 kv switch don't worry about which wire is hot on these just stay away if untrained ;)

Lol thats not a 3 phase its open wire secondaries and cable with likely a street light wire on top. 3 phase will be 3 conductors on top usually side by side with neutral bottom but sometimes stacked and usually 12.5kv but sometimes much higher all variable by local utility needs and can be estimated by counting the bells on the insulators and generally the size of conductors. Then you have 69 line "known by old school line clearance" they can be 69 kv and up that feed the substation from a larger substation or powerplant and those run ungrounded with a smaller static wire on top. I have trimmed everything from 880 to 500kv, I'm not a lineman but I have a very good understanding of it and most importantly for tree trimming know which wire is normally hot. 500 kv is those huge towers that basically supply it all and are coming out of nuclear power plants or hydro electric when trimming those its done by notch and drop. Basically if the tree can fall within fifteen feet of any of its conductors the tree will be removed. They will jump 15 feet out and getcha like a giant spark plug :yes: It was fun felling huge trees all day working on those lines here is a 500 kv switch don't worry about which wire is hot on these just stay away if untrained ;)

I should really learn a better understanding of lines and power. I know the difference between power and phone and to just plain avoid any wire lol. I know it might be asking a lot but could you PM me some info on lines and such and how to identify them? That would be great

I should really learn a better understanding of lines and power. I know the difference between power and phone and to just plain avoid any wire lol. I know it might be asking a lot but could you PM me some info on lines and such and how to identify them? That would be great
Yes avoid all wires; as at anytime they can become energized, think a drunk hits a pole two miles away a phaze contacts cable tv and presto your now hot! Of course even cable has energy without becoming high voltage and it only takes one tenth of 1 amp in 12vdc to kill. Even guy wires can become energized, as far as identifying goes think top wires as highest voltage in general but not always even a neutral should never be considered safe though. Service wires seen coming from the transformer have protection coating but that should not be considered insulation as it is not. It merely protects the conductors from the bare wire ground wrapped by the protected conductor wires. Service wires kill many lineman and tree climbers alike mainly because many believe the coating is insulation! There is also the fact that dead wires can be energized through induction if they run parallel to energized conductors! Think spark plug misfiring which is caused by induction. Its a dangerous world out there man stay safe!!

Yes avoid all wires; as at anytime they can become energized, think a drunk hits a pole two miles away a phaze contacts cable tv and presto your now hot! Of course even cable has energy without becoming high voltage and it only takes one tenth of 1 amp in 12vdc to kill. Even guy wires can become energized, as far as identifying goes think top wires as highest voltage in general but not always even a neutral should never be considered safe though. Service wires seen coming from the transformer have protection coating but that should not be considered insulation as it is not. It merely protects the conductors from the bare wire ground wrapped by the protected conductor wires. Service wires kill many lineman and tree climbers alike mainly because many believe the coating is insulation! There is also the fact that dead wires can be energized through induction if they run parallel to energized conductors! Think spark plug misfiring which is caused by induction. Its a dangerous world out there man stay safe!!
Thanks!

That seems crazy low. But good for you if that's from a legit company with insurance and proper gear and such.

Why we're the others?

That seems crazy low. But good for you if that's from a legit company with insurance and proper gear and such.

Why we're the others?

Yes legit company insured and bonded. They have a climber, 65' bucket truck, grapple truck, etc. Have a few companies coming this week hopefully.

Yes legit company insured and bonded. They have a climber, 65' bucket truck, grapple truck, etc. Have a few companies coming this week hopefully.
I bet if you get down you could get that job done In a couple days 3k a day plus a day to grind @1k that's not outa line. Then there are the companies that bid work at 1500 to 2000 a day so they have 3 to 4 days on it. All depends on your business model

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Haha. Just got a second quote for $7k with stump grinding. He also used some laser measuring tool and said they were 105'-110' tall.
Gratz now tell him his range finder is broke :p Seriously rangefinder will say 105 feet line of sight but arc is what it needs to be accurate!! Is that spruce 70 foot ? just sayin.

I have several large cottonwood trees in my backyard that I'd like to remove completely and a few I'd like to take some height off. They are just shi**y trees that drop large branches once in awhile and I get nervous when the kids are playing out back. They are approximately 100' tall and 3+' in diameter. I got a quote for $15k which seems quite high to me. I've cut down a large maple before from an 85' bucket truck and am considering that option but would rather hire this one out but I just cannot afford $15k! Looking from some feedback on the feasibility of doing this myself or recommendations on a company/individual in the area (Rochester, NY) who would do the work at a more reasonable price. Thanks!
View attachment 565388
I listened to a one-hour webinar last week on plant hire (European term for renting equipment) by Brian Parker. If you rent equipment that wrequires operating skill save money by renting it with an operator instead of trying it yourself. And by all means read the fine print two times. Know your liabilities you are obliged for when using someone else's equipment. If you goof up you could be real sorry and very broke.

Back