McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian - I will assume that one was simply worn and did not have any significant scratches to the bore?

How thick is the Nikasil compared to the original chrome? I know that McCulloch had "A", "B", and "C" pistons to match the bores and the differences were pretty small. I wonder how our finished bore size lines up with the available pistons.

upload_2017-3-24_14-55-52.png

upload_2017-3-24_14-54-52.png

I am also curious about the cost, if you'd rather address that in a PM I understand.

Mark

I sent the piston with the cylinder so they could hone it to size after coating. So the coating is the same because they remove any old coating before applying there coating. It feels very good. I have had them nikasil cylinders in the past for motorcycles and my rep talked me into this coating because it is harder and bonds better than nikasil. The saw had went lean in a big cut and had burnt the piston and chipped a piece of the chrome off. He did tell me because of the size of the cylinder they could not get back into it to weld so if the cylinder was damaged into the base aluminium they could not fix it.

Brian

Check out what's happening on the left side of the carb with the throttle shaft and linkage where a govenor would connect.

I guess I don't understand..... there is nothing on the left side of the carb. You can just see the very end of the throttle shaft sticking out and it turns just fine with throttle input.
Again the saw has no governer or linkage other than the primer linkage and throttle trigger linkage. I am strongly suspected an air leak creating a very weak vacuum signal at the throttle plate.

So...
I'm working on my SP125C,
It has the leaky tank,
I'm working on getting the tank off,
Is there any secret to get the rubber intake boot off? I don't want to damage it, and figured somebody has to know how to get it off without damaging it. TIA!

I feel like I have let you guys down this season with so little MAC action to report. Though I had two PM800s in the truck, I spent the day dragging logs again out of a ravine. Brian did as well. Mostly I ran the tractor and he hooked the logs and acted as front-end ballast when needed. He brought a 1010 and a 110. He made a few cuts with each when the logs were too heavy for the tractor or hung. I made one bar length cut in red oak with his 1010 - a torquey little saw. I wasn't wearing muffs so instant pain. Maybe this coming week we will get to cut some more. I know Brian is dying to put a 125 in the wood.

Bottom side view from the tractor seat. Piles of cut wood will be chunked next Saturday by a group of high school kids from Florida. I expect to be pulling a lot of trucks with trailers up the hill. Pretty sure the deuce and a half when loaded should be able to make the grade without an assist, we will see.
IMG_2091.JPG

Top side view from the tractor seat. Brian is that little blue dot in the middle. Orange dot is Andy. He likes off-brand saws of the same color.
IMG_2095.JPG

Some logs were inaccessible by tractor so we winched them out with the deuce and a half. Views from the cab watching Brian and Andy sweat. Somebody had to sacrifice and sit in the cab holding the brake and running the winch. It's a rough life that I live.
IMG_2097.JPG IMG_2105.JPG IMG_2106.JPG

Come on, Andy, that cable can't be that hard to drag.
IMG_2107.JPG

The deuce and a half:
IMG_2112.JPG

The "landing". Brian on the tractor. I was told 11 loads went out today from here to the woodlot:
IMG_2114.JPG IMG_2117.JPG

Ron

I'm surprised the M3A cannot drag those. Mine did well in mud dragging logs. Those must have gotten hung, because that is all that seem to stop mine. I sure like seeing the hood splice of the "3" version of deuce. Thanks for familiar adventutes.

I was parked half way down the hill. I drug them once they were within 50 feet of the truck with the front axle engaged. Tandems would just spin trying to backup with no load in the bed. As you probably know there are too many air lines and plastic fittings to go bushwacking in an A3.

Ron

So...
I'm working on my SP125C,
It has the leaky tank,
I'm working on getting the tank off,
Is there any secret to get the rubber intake boot off? I don't want to damage it, and figured somebody has to know how to get it off without damaging it. TIA!
Well I feel really stupid now... It just pulls off. Oh well, thanks anyways!

I was parked half way down the hill. I drug them once they were within 50 feet of the truck with the front axle engaged. Tandems would just spin trying to backup with no load in the bed. As you probably know there are too many air lines and plastic fittings to go bushwacking in an A3.

Ron
Didn't stop me. I had no trouble with mine.

Didn't stop me. I had no trouble with mine.
Not saying that it wouldn't have dragged them out if hooked to the rear as I don't know. I took the winch air lines out previously in a much less trashy place - not risking it again just for a few firewood logs.

Back to MAC. Brian is fighting a MAC infestation at his shop, notably of the 1010 variety. Said another freebie showed up this past week. Any hope for him? We need to slow the inflow enough to get his SP125C finished. And a few on my list: 101B, PM700.
IMG_2047.JPG

Ron

Waiting on parts on my SP125c. I ordered them and they are taking the slow boat from china. I also ordered the carb cover for the SP125 that is running. It should be here this week. After that all it needs is a chain and pull rope and it should be good to go. I also have new pull rope that should be here this week for all three saws. All of them are in bad shape. It takes 3/16 rope and no one has that in town. Ordered some really nice stuff off ebay, looks really strong. Have a appointment Monday with Mr. Devault, I have a Kawasaki to put together and a polaris to put a carb back on and yours will be started. I am in hopes of getting it together this week. Maybe we can find some big wood to sink them into. The 10-10 I got I tore down and looked at what it will need to make it a good running saw. Really just crank seals and carb kit. It is in a box and I will work on it when I get time. Not in any hurry on it seeing that I have 4 running 10-10 and a PM 55 to choose from in that size saw.

Brian

Not saying that it wouldn't have dragged them out if hooked to the rear as I don't know. I took the winch air lines out previously in a much less trashy place - not risking it again just for a few firewood logs.

Back to MAC. Brian is fighting a MAC infestation at his shop, notably of the 1010 variety. Said another freebie showed up this past week. Any hope for him? We need to slow the inflow enough to get his SP125C finished. And a few on my list: 101B, PM700.
View attachment 567965

Ron
Now I see, as I don't have a winch. I'd be on that 101 before the rest, oh and fingers ouch on that kind of comression. Nice man, nice.

I ordered a carb cover some weeks ago from Canada but though shipped it is taking its time getting here.

Guys here may remember the DE80 that I had that was pouring oil when parked. Long story short, it has been reunited with its previous owner. He found the oiler adjustment screw turned almost all the way out. He adjusted it and believes it is cured.

Ron

Hey guys.

If a 10 series is oiling but not as much as it should, where should I start looking first? Assuming since they have the manual backup they aren't adjustable?

Purchased a full wrap handle bar today off eBay for the 380[emoji106] one step closer to making it a 1-52 clone.

Latest posts

Back