B & S /Diahatsu diesel replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Vermeer 352 with a Diahatsu 3cyl. diesel, 58A477-0234-E1. I'm thinking of replacing it with something compatible or having it rebuilt. This particular engine is no longer available. Has anyone found an engine compatible with that engine that would fit this machine? If not would anyone know how I would go about finding something compatible? Also, I have been looking for someone to rebuild the diahatsu, without any luck. That would be the easiest solution for me because I could just bolt it right into the machine without any modifications. The diesel places around me won't touch this small of an engine, any suggestions? Vermeer uses a gasoline engine and conversion kit to deal with it. But the price is more than the machine is worth.

Jimma I have read a lot of your posts, and you have fought this thing for way too long. Even fully rebuilt this engine is a POS and not worth the expense. You would be throwing good money after bad. What is Vermeer asking for the conversion kit? What value do you put on your machine? How much money have you lost in lost production? I don't know your financial situation but if it was me I would either get the kit, or retro fit a BB gas engine.

Good morning "74inchshovel", thanks for the response. Vermeer wants $10000 to convert to Gas. I haven't lost any production yet. I have 3 machines. I goof around with this machine because I love the way it cuts and it was like wading into the water. Spend a little time working on it and a few bucks and you are in. To get out it is a ways to go back so you go a little deeper. You think you are making progress and it is now a long way back so you push forward thinking you're getting close. Eventually, the tide gets you and pulls you out and the rest is just swimming to survive. I really don't mind spending the money, but I don't have the knowledge to get it right and can't bring myself to shell out way over what I consider reasonable. Don't suppose there is much difference in putting it in in one lump sum or bleeding out a little at a time, but once you dig in your heels it becomes personal and the ego just won't let go. It's just a machine and we should be able to out smart it, but I'm not that smart so it may take some smart guy out there that reads something and the light bulb goes off. You may be the one and I may grab my sledge and end this saga.

incidentally, I have 2 vermeer 352's and I fried an engine in one last year. I found another diahatsu engine from a lead from this board and I got that engine and it worked and is working great. The problem with the broken one has been the same problem all along. I just can't find it. It cleared up the last time I changed the turbo, but only lasted a month. The turbo seems fine this time but it spews carbon, when I played around with it and changed the air intake system and a few hose, the carbon stopped but now blue smoke.

For $10k I'm sure you could make just about any 30-40hp diesel work and have enough money left over for a year of beer.

I mean holy cow! A 35hp Kubota is 5k area... make it fit.

That's exactly what I thought when I started this journey. But as I found out, just plopping an engine into the frame doesn't make the stump grinder work. There are a lot more considerations and specs that apparently need to come together. I can fabricate the frame to accept an engine, but I'm told that is only one of the problems that need to be solved and I'm only a hacker.I spoke to several engine manufacturers and couldn't understand anything they said other than they can't help.

Text me the engines numbers and I'll check Briggs dealer site see if they offer reposed kit

I appreciate that backhoelover. It's a 34hp B?S Vanguard/Diahatsu turbo diesel, model 58A477 type 0234 E1. I think Kubuto may have something, but I haven't been able to run that down yet.

Jimma,

This is Dave at Global Equipment. Give me a call as I have the Briggs reps name and number who calls on Vermeer. He might be able to help you.

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Anymore info on a possible engine swap. I have a ventrac with the same engine. A few months back, I had problems with hard starting and no power, lots of smoke. After checking everything several times, I discovered. that some how the plastic that new air fileters was somehow sucked into the turbo and locked it down so it couldnt spin. I suspect that wrapper was crambed into the interfilter and I didnt notice it when I installed it. I removed the plastic from the turbo and engine runs fine now. I also know that at one time, the vnagard engines had a recall on the valve cover. The original cover was missing some baffel that was supposed to prevent oil from getting sucked into the vent. It could be that you may have one of the older engines that never had the correct valve cover and the turbo could be sucking oil casueing the blue smoke.
The hour meter broke on my ventrac probably 10 years ago so I dont have a clue how many hrs are on it. While the engine is currently running decent, it is down on power and I suspect a replacement sometime in the future. I too would like to know if there is a bolt in replacement available. Prefer to stay with a diesel, but would consider swapping to gas.

Hi muddstopper, thanks for responding. I have called just about every engine manufacturer I can find and haven't had any luck on finding a replacement. The parts book for the 58A0234 E2 has a dozen other diahatsu engines listed using the exact same parts. A few have foot notes on specific things, but nothing big. One of those listed, they 0205 E2, seems to be the same engine with a different oil pan and I found one of them last year and put it onto the other vermeer 352 I have and it has worked perfectly. It is listed as a 31HP, but you can't tell the difference. Anyway, I can't seem to find Diahatsu listed anywhere that I can buy a replacement, but I do have the Briggs & stratton rep for diahatsu. Just haven't been able to make contact yet. The 0305 E2 is used by a few landscaping apps and it is also listed under the same parts and I've seen a few of them for sale. I think I ran across a new one listed at $7000 but I have no idea if it mounts the same or what. But I'm still looking and will let you know if I come across any fits. You mentioned the valve cover being recalled, that's the first time I've heard that and may be the proplem. It would fit all the symptoms of that machine. Thanks brother. I'll send you the parts book if you need it and you can see what Diahatsu might fit.

Hey Mudstopper, found that valve cover recall on the internet. Haven't had a chance to check the valve cover that is on the machine yet, but that would explain a lot of problems that I'm having. The oil being sucked thru to the turbo could have caused the turbo problems and the black smoke from the turbo could have masked the burning oil. I wouldn't have even noticed the oil if I didn't get the turbo working for a bit. Thanks for the heads up.

I hardly eve use my ventrac anymore. I got out of the landscaping business several years ago. Every time I get ready to use the machine, I have jumpstart and charge the battery. I am sure mounting some other make in my machine should be pretty easy, but the physical size of other motor might cause some inconvience. The Diahatsu engine is mounted on a skid as a complete assembly. One should be able to just adapt the motor mounts on the skid so the new engine lines up with the belt drives and maybe change the drive shaft for the hyd pump, but that would only work if the replacement engine is short or the same size as the old engine. If the new engine is longer, things could get more complicated.

False alarm, it wasn't the valve cover. I had the new version on this one and another engine with the new version, so I changed it anyway. Still looking for the new engine.

Latest posts

Back