McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I understand that. I have a 7pin on the way, maybe I'll order an 8pin to try as well.

In other news, I confirmed my suspicion of an air leak. The reed plate gaskets are leaking terribly. Mark, do you know where one might obtain the upper and lower reed/intake gaskets and the fuel tank gasket?

I have done this several times for Mac fuel tanks and never had one yet that didn't weep fuel. Plus I am rather sure that the reed gaskets are very thick material to act as a heat insulator.

I know what you are saying about the tank gaskets. I now use square O rings and have had good success. I also use Red Kote and line the tank if I have one that weeps. I am ding a 125 engine right now and what I took off the reed box is the same thickness as the material I got at the parts house.

I know what you are saying about the tank gaskets. I now use square O rings and have had good success. I also use Red Kote and line the tank if I have one that weeps. I am ding a 125 engine right now and what I took off the reed box is the same thickness as the material I got at the parts house.

Ok, will tear down and see what I have. The IPL calls it a gasket/insulator so I assumed it was a really thick material. This tank uses a paper gasket, I suppose I could use some kind of form-a-gasket on it like motoseal.

The 440 has a sandwich between the air box and the block, the gasket is actually a wrap around type (53768) and the insulator inside is plastic so you reuse it.

There is another thick gasket (58328) between the air box and reed plate, most of the time these are so stuck together they won't come off an you can get by reusing them, I have resorted to a bit of Indian Head gasket shellac a time or two to make sure they don't leak.

If I recall, there are two screws in the bottom of the air box and two screws in the bottom of the fuel tank that secures the air box/fuel tank to the engine block so you have to open the tank to work on them. I am pretty sure customchainsawparts on e-bay has the tank gaskets, Bob Johnson probably has the others. I have a few but I am starting to become a hoarder...

Mark

Attachments

• Mc 440 July 1963.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
Yes, I have the top of the tank off already but that's as far as I got last night. So this does not use the same gaskets as the other 87cc Macs? I have a roll of gasket paper coming from one of my parts suppliers at work. Hopefully that will work for whatever I need. Any reason I can't eliminate the wrap around gasket and just use an upper and lower gasket? With the insulator in between the two? And then the airbox to reed plate gasket.

I am not sure why they use the wrap around, I have put them together with two individual gaskets.

Best I can tell the parts are all the same as other top tank saws from the 1-72/82 and later models including the 700/800 model saws. Earlier models each had a different set up. Some of the part numbers changed but the parts are the same i.e. 58328 becomes 67096, 53768 becomes 67477.

Mark

... I have a few but I am starting to become a hoarder...

Mark

If I knew then what I know now I would have hoarded a few more things - like 33" MAC bars went they were selling for $50; ten series plastic recoil screens (seems like they were around $5); and roller recoil covers. I never had the opportunity to hoard 24" bars but I would if I could.

Ron

Mark, I received my bar today. It measures 36 7/8" from the tail to the tip of the nose and it's just shy of 4" wide at the widest point. This is a .050" gauge bar and I intend to run 3/8" pitch if you could possibly give an idea of drive link count I would appreciate it. Here are some pics
db9fdcd526d70f75060664ad567dd44b.jpg
31abc11f779b77a32530b1aedea23380.jpg
045ec2a6dd9ebf8ade9631d7cde27e8f.jpg
d5c004ad2d1e155b7c3da744dc2cbd89.jpg

The sprocket nose version of that bar on a Ten series is 106 drive links. Ron

I believe the sprocket nose bar is much narrower than this hard nose. I have a sprocket nose 28" on a different saw and it's a much narrower bar.

Thank you for the input nonetheless, I'm thinking this is gonna be more like 115dl but I've never done a bar this big before so really have no clue.

Can you mock it up without the clutch cover and then wrap a piece of string around the sprocket to the nose and back then measure it and divide it by your chain link length? Should get you to within one link anyhow.

I have a nice shop but to the life of me I cannot keep it clean and it drives me crazy. Right now I have 7 customers bikes, 2 of my brothers bikes, 3 of my own bikes, all my chainsaws and two of Ron's chainsaws in a 30X40 shop. Plus parts and equipment. Their is so much in there I can barely move around in there much less clean. At some point this summer I am going to take everything out of it and clean from end to end. But I said that last year...LOL That dose not count what I have in my personal garage. I need to have a yard sale and get rid of a bunch of junk.

Brian

Back