Open for opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look awesome to me. With a little more practice you will be world class. A friend of mine was rough cutting with a conventional chain saw then he got a chipper blade for one of his grinders and fine tuned with that. Also was doing some carving awhile back and was happy with my process, but did not always have large wood stock to work with. So bolted some extremities onto a larger section and discovered after plugging the holes they looks just fine. Thanks

Don't know about world class, but I have gotten a little better and my new 543xp with a carving bar has made a big difference. Every time I try make a grizzly bear, it turns out looking like a pig. Couple more done today and I am happy with them ,not bad for someone with very little talent...lol20170414_171830.jpg

Make some out lines on a normal letter size paper and try to get the general shape then go on to do your fine details later. I would bet that some one will come along and tell you they are in love with one of your creations. They look very nice and I am sure that the next few will even have more appeal. When our trees were dying around here about 10 to 15 years ago about every third house had a hand carved bear sitting in the front yard area. A real issue with them is trying to keep them from rotting away. Urathane with some air space under. Thanks

You'll improve the look by moving the ears off the top of the head and narrowing the muzzle to give him some cheek area.

bear-face_h5t0588-2-crop.jpg

Yes it will take some time to get the look you want, but to get the perfection you are after will take a bit of practice. I have seen much worse. Since we do not have the trees to cut like we did 10 years ago many of the carvers moved away. There was a guy just a few blocks from me who struggled to produce a realistic bear, but he started carving eagles and was able to market them quite well. Some bears come out like cartoon characters and others are quite real looking. Your last bear is certainly not bad, but experiment to get what you are after. Thanks

Those are great, one of my best friends stated out just like you are, three decades later and he has an acre plus carving display store on major east coast highway, five employees full time and spends winters in Florida.
keep it up they look real good.

I'm in no way bragging, I just decided on a rainy day that I would give it a try and 20 bears later, I'm still at it. I couldn't draw a bear on paper and pencil if my life depended on it, so I'm not looking for realistic . Some where between black bears and yogi I guess.
My biggest problem is figure out how long cut my log, diameter × length.
20 inch × tall ...??

Offering a little more advice.
Your bears are becoming more pig like in the nose area. In this last photo ^ the nose is upside down.
Thinking of the shape as a Heart, a bears nose is a heart shape and a pigs nose is an inverted heart.

Your dog is an excellent reference source for the nose!

090.JPG

Offering a little more advice.
Your bears are becoming more pig like in the nose area. In this last photo ^ the nose is upside down.
Thinking of the shape as a Heart, a bears nose is a heart shape and a pigs nose is an inverted heart.

Your dog is an excellent reference source for the nose!

090.JPG
Thanks for the advice, I can see what you're saying now that you mention it.
Usually don't have a lot of time to carve and I'm just doing it for fun, but I still have a lot of room for improvement and Will try to get a better nose next time.
Thanks

Back