Show me your workspace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'll appease the OP....
20170421_192552_zpshb2uazu1.jpg

20170421_192637_zpsqlxt9kxg.jpg

Nothing special here. Just an old bench that I found on Craigslist with a Record #6 vise that I found locally and restored. Have a lot more tools, but this one just has what I need to disassemble and reassemble saws. I'm active duty military and move every 2-3 years, so I'll step up my workshop game when I return to the states and retire in a few years.

Nothing special here. Just an old bench that I found on Craigslist with a Record #6 vise that I found locally and restored. Have a lot more tools, but this one just has what I need to disassemble and reassemble saws. I'm active duty military and move every 2-3 years, so I'll step up my workshop game when I return to the states and retire in a few years.

Thanks for your service and +87 on your username! I am envious of your vise.

Thanks for your service and +87 on your username! I am envious of your vise.

I have a bit of a vise problem. I pick 'em up and restore them. I have several restored Wilton b2017-04-18 12.23.40.jpg ullets and a monster Morgan Chicago 60 (150 lbs, 6" jaws) that dwarfs the Record #6.

Scott

Didn't know vice restoration was a thing, I'll have to keep an eye out for a cool one when the garage sales start up soon.

I'm active too, 15 years. We decided to buy instead of rent this transfer so I had an empty space to fill in my garage. Been wanting a solid garage for a long time.

Didn't know vice restoration was a thing, I'll have to keep an eye out for a cool one when the garage sales start up soon.

I'm active too, 15 years. We decided to buy instead of rent this transfer so I had an empty space to fill in my garage. Been wanting a solid garage for a long time.

I'm at 21 years. Have a few more tours left in me, I think.

Vise collection and restoration is a lot of fun -- they're not difficult to find, generally affordable, lots of quality name brands to choose from, different styles of vises, and you can restore one in several hours -- disassemble, clean/blast, paint, lube, and reassemble. Check out Garage Journal - http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44782

Scott

Vise collection and restoration is a lot of fun -- they're not difficult to find, generally affordable, lots of quality name brands to choose from, different styles of vises, and you can restore one in several hours -- disassemble, clean/blast, paint, lube, and reassemble. Check out Garage Journal - http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44782

Scott
Thanks! Yeah seems like another nice addition to my gun/chainsaw/diesel truck/muscle car hobby!

Been talking to the wife about retirement plans lately, 5 more years will come a bit too quick what with kids and mortgages and such. Thinking to max out to 30 years will be the goal now, as long as I don't get HYT'd.

Scott

My restoration has been going on for a few months, like the other 20 projects I'm into. Please don't tell my wife it only takes a few hours!

Thanks! Yeah seems like another nice addition to my gun/chainsaw/diesel truck/muscle car hobby!

Been talking to the wife about retirement plans lately, 5 more years will come a bit too quick what with kids and mortgages and such. Thinking to max out to 30 years will be the goal now, as long as I don't get HYT'd.

That's what I'm talking about! I've been overseas for 4 years; one more to go. Haven't seen my guns since then. And my musclecars (68 GTO convt. 455/TH400, 66 Fairlane GT convt 428/4 sp, 71 Javelin road race project 401/4 sp) are in storage waiting for me to get back next summer. And I sold my 2003 7.3 Excursion 4x4 before we PCS'ed to Korea in 2013.

Nice!! I don't have any projects now, but I had a few nice ones a couple years ago. I'll get pics up in a bit, but my two favorite were a 72 Fury Gran Coupe and a 1966 GTO (242). I got into bimmers while living in Seattle, and had a 1985 535is that was pretty mint. I currently drive an '03 Dodge CTD 6speed. That excursion is awesome, wasn't 2003 the very last year of the 7.3? And the last of the catless diesels too.

Sweet! I sold most of my GTO's years ago, including a few 69 Ram Air III Judges. My 70 RAIV car won Concours Best Restored at the 2013 Nationals.

Have had a few Mopars but the one I never should have sold was a 71 GTX, 440, 4 sp, Dana 60 3.54, black/black, spoilers, and Air Grabber.

Recently bought my first BMW - 99 318i. Nothing special, but I'm thinking I'll buy another one (E30 set up for road racing?) when we get back to the states.

Yes, the 2003 was the last year of the 7.3. That thing was awesome -- I could coax 20 mpg out of it, I towed cross country with it on numerous occasions; didn't know the trailer was back there. And I could get close to 900 miles from a tank of fuel.

That GTX sounds like a gem! E30s are a hoot, but with your car history you may find power to be lacking. I like the M30 in the E28, and F/I gives them some real grunt.

My current situation doesn't really support motorsports like it used to, so chainsaws have been a pleasant way to get some tinker time in. Not to mention needing firewood now and having land to clear has led to the inevitable. Been thinking hard about doing a Huztl ms360, that'll probably be my next step unless a nice big bore stihl pops up on CL for cheap.

Back