The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done done both and being around them I wouldn't have a wheel harvesters in a thinning the same reason they don't around 20 the rows are to wide a ponsse. Pm we will talk extra. Jared Skeans

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Either stuff isn't quality it's production and isn't thinning logging I love the family but the work is always crap .

A couple of the Ponsse guys have said that in the taller bigger diameter stuff the biggest harvester (bear) had all it could do to move the trees. I think the scorpions and ergos are doing smaller growth and early tsi thinnings. I honestly believe a scorpion or ergo could do everything your 653 can, and do it faster.

Now, the technique would be considerably different switching from a fixed to a dangle. Some guys try and just cant do it. Or more likely are so stuck in their ways they refuse. If you are of the mind that a dtangle head just won't work thats a pretty good indicator that you fit in that group. There are proven fixed heads that are in the same league as far as speed, like the logmax 7000 fixed.

If you need a head that will work wood in the 30 inch range all day, the wheeled machines won't do it. Thats Waratah, southstar, keto etc on a tacked carrier territory. And volume I can only dream about.
Have you bee around the newer Skidmore heads they out run all the dangle heads as well as the 7000 log max Jesse is proud and on a timberpro they will not run to their full like a barko. I've ran both in thinning so has my dad but a dangle you do more damage year round for size I still think a fixed on a track carrier is the best how many setups can you come in behind to start the next row without trace?

moved onto a job in December that was next to asphalt(parking the crummy on asphalt, and fairly often running the skidder across it too), and lots of rock, so I decided to hold off until it was done to change calks....

then the neighbors wanted trees down, and their neighbors, and some other neighbors... anyway 4 months later I might as well have been walking on nail heads...

today was the first chance on fresh calks... oh so nice, prancing around on a log like a teenager.

today was the first chance on fresh calks... oh so nice, prancing around on a log like a teenager.

I love that feeling. I love it even more a few days later when the too-sharp bits have been knocked off and the whole world isn't velcro any more.

Should have got the box of em huh .

Might as well stock up. They'll keep indefinitely in the glove compartment, tool box, under the seat, or in your jacket pocket.
I don't know what they're made out of but they have a shelf life roughly the same as nuclear waste.

You trying to get me divorced or sumthin;)

that is super cheap though. Should probably get the dumber truck running first though.

found parts, and managed to get him traded off plus some cash for a newer diesel f800 Think its got air brakes too, so theoretically I could pull the excavator with it.. I think...

Have to fix mine before the trade though.... seems everyone in the county needs a rock or dirt right now anyway.

that is super cheap though. Should probably get the dumber truck running first though.

found parts, and managed to get him traded off plus some cash for a newer diesel f800 Think its got air brakes too, so theoretically I could pull the excavator with it.. I think...

Have to fix mine before the trade though.... seems everyone in the county needs a rock or dirt right now anyway.
Just happened to see it and thought of you.

Air brakes are much nicer but make dang sure everything is working right first, with that shovel you could pull it.

it would be a nightmare to move that shovel up from Oregon, i've never seen one on the freeway, and there pretty slow on the highways, driving em didn't look real fun either.

come to think of it haven't seen an operational one out here in a long long time, an ancient barko showed up at the equipment repair guys a few months ago, it still hasn't moves since though, waiting on money or something... theres a garret 21b that the new competition owns there too... (from what I've seen of it, they either need to learn how to drive or put a whole bunch of money into it...)

did something like that with the backhoe, fer loading fire wood logs in the dumper truck, no self loader assist or nothin...

The tongs work ok but are a total PiTA, mine kinda suck to begin with, them guys made that look easy...

My real question is why can't that self loader pick up that little stick?

did something like that with the backhoe, fer loading fire wood logs in the dumper truck, no self loader assist or nothin...

The tongs work ok but are a total PiTA, mine kinda suck to begin with, them guys made that look easy...

My real question is why can't that self loader pick up that little stick?
Just happened to come across that one first but the first video was the larger fir, even having a log loader I've had to assist it with a cat loading a 36' fir before.

passed a show today, just started sometime in the last week or so.

they gots a 300 doosan loader, a big tiger cat feller buncher, and a big Deere grapple skidder, and something much farther back as maybe a processor.

All of em looked real new like last year at the most

Heres the deal, its only like 3 acres, and all cotton wood which i know they aren't getting more then $300 per 1k mbf. Knowing that and knowing they are probably getting much less then 300 per 1k. I have to ask how in the hell do they expect to make any money on a job like that.

At best there was probably 20 loads, and you would need to move 1 load for every piece of iron on that job, and then pay 1 load a day or more to every operator just to break even, and here these jokers are with 4 brand spankin new machines?

It makes me wonder how in the hell they are getting it done, or if maybe they are getting paid for clearing it...

Back