how often ya clean the air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echomeister

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have had my echo 450p since 2013. couple of days ago i had a wild idea. I pulled the air filter and cleaned it.
Wuddaya know the damned thing ran MUCH better.. It was it's first cleaning.
Now ain't that stupid.. I been fighting that saw through big wood for years with it running weak.

Anyway I decided that every other tank I would clean it. What do you experts think

thanks

On my 261 and 661 I usually tap them out at the end of each use, blow them out occasionally. I recently bought a cheapo 10 pack off ebay for my 170, I never really thought it would get that dirty but I was having issues with it not wanting to idle here late winter/early spring. Looked a little dirty but not full or anything, blew it out and what do ya know. Put a new filter in and idle was up another 200 rpm or so, right where it's supposed to be actually. Typical me, always overlooking the simple things.

I just made a habit of blowin my saws off with air after a days work , species and chain obviously have alot to do with your air filter , there really isnt anything written in stone as to how often it needs cleaned...ive cut loads of dead ash logs and had to clean the filter after 2 tanks and then had days after cuttin green cherry my filter was hardly dirty..just depends.

It can depend on what you're cutting. If it's green with the right bark, teeth are nice and sharp, rakers set right... you won't be needing to clean it for several days. Cut some thick bark Fir, green or dry, and you'll be bringing a spare filter to get through one day.

It varies from 1 model to another. The generation of Stihl saws before the latest, most I'd pop off the filter cover each refuel and tap them with the scrench to knock off build up and after a days use lightly blow them out with air. Stihl did make them easy to access and it only takes about a minute give or take 1/2 minute. Don't have any problems with them plugging up and loosing power, creating carbon build up, etc. keeping them serviced. Powerhead is also more likely to ingest foreign matter that will wear it out pre mature also if your filter isn't clean.

Çarb spitback can soak a filter also ,if not washable need to replace them every so often .when the filter is fuel soaked the fines block flow even more,may look clean and still be blocked.

Grease the clutch drum bearing also,the bar oil does not lube it.grease does.

i clean mine after each use with the air hose. if needed i pull them and use starting fluid to clean them. i don't use carb cleaner as it may damage the plastic/rubber parts.
If not a mesh filter try break cleaner. That works great for me. I use it for my MS261 and MS661 filter. Besides clean air filter means optimum performance

Really varies model to model. My Husky 61 hot rod gets dirty fast while my new J-red 2245 is clean as a whistle. Air filtration on most new saws is way better.

Few times a year, maybe every 8-10 gals of fuel.
You must run Husqvarna's. Sometimes I may go a long time.. You know when you're having fun and things are performing tickety tock. Sometimes you just take it for granted. Defiantly defends what I'm in. The most I've heard was three times on a 2/12 hour undercut ( 8ft Douglas Fir in the summer) That sounds about right. I seem to spend half the time down on my knees and elbows coughing out a lung. I usually shave the bark on the back bar when its a problem. I just tap them out. I always run the flock filters, The fine dust goes through some of the mesh filters very easy. Fir dust is like concrete dust. I've seen it eat the bottom of the cylinders

I clean mine every time im done using it unless cuttin a lot then will stop and brush off with paint brush every few tanks.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

i clean mine after each use with the air hose. if needed i pull them and use starting fluid to clean them. i don't use carb cleaner as it may damage the plastic/rubber parts.
I knew someone who used starting fluid on a filter but never let it dry after and saw ran for about 5-10 mins and locked up.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Back