Nicked the climber's rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newguy44

Reaction score
New groundsman here,

After working with a crew a few times I was clearing fallen limbs when the other groundsman pulled the climber's rope into my chain. Its was maybe 50% my fault. The climber said its alright but should i offer to pay for a new rope? Does this happen alot?

Also, what wage should I ask?

I'm really becoming interested in the business and would love to learn to climb.

Thanks

So you are working and have not discussed money? What city and state are you in? What experience do you have? In my opinion you should be a proficient ground man b4 you start climbing... that could be 6 months or six years... we have guys cut climb lines often it's always picked up by our co. They can't force you to pay its illegal. They can fire you but that's something small to fire over.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

We have protocol. The ropes are cleared before any cutting is done. If a rope is stuck a experienced saw guy will cut it out.
I buy all my own equipment. I would be really pissed if some new guy cut my 200ft rope.

We have protocol. The ropes are cleared before any cutting is done. If a rope is stuck a experienced saw guy will cut it out.
I buy all my own equipment. I would be really pissed if some new guy cut my 200ft rope.

Second this. Ropes have a way of hiding in the brush.

Yup in my opinion the climber should have told them to move ropes first. Also: wtf is a new hire doing running a saw? I wanna see newbies: drag brush for a minimum of a week and gofer this and gofer that. If you can't do that you ain't gonna make it and my times better spent on someone who can imo.

Back