Just a few pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shagbark hickory uses.

I still go out to the Sangamon river bottom at the camp I worked at 55 years ago when in IL and find a few undergrowth saplings, nice smooth bark yet when a sapling. Makes the best (IMO) hammer, axe, maul, and peavey handles.
Try to find stuff about 2" diameter, split it so there is no edge grain on the handles. Undergrowth stuff with 20 growth rings an inch are great.
Used to make bows out of the stuff when I was a kid.

Gotta settle from making peavey handles out of vine maple out here in PNW.

Haven't had a chance to dig for pics yet. I cut shagbark pretty regular. It's used from veneer to flooring to tool handles to ties and everything in between. When I get into a heavy stand of them I get pretty agitated after a day or two. When bucking it's pretty easy to pull the bark off with the chain and into your face if your getting lazy/not paying attention. And it hurts. Also the limbs grow every which way so in big timber they suck to limb. They can grow super tall though with almost no limbs, straight as an arrow.

I'd love to come out and kill some big conifers. Yeah those cedars look like a *****. Spruce if you get them much would be the same or worse I would think. Some jobs I've been on I'm flushing a 2ft limb off of a 4ft tree. And that limb is vertical for about 30ft before it goes horizontal for another 30ft. The underside limbs are almost worse. Lots of tension in those damn things.

Spruce are worse i think, just as hairy as ceder but harder wood and pointy sharp needles, the bark is like walkin on corn flakes, don't get many here they is mostly in damp ground so it a no no to cut a em.

The ceder branches like to work their way up the inside of yer pants, cause the way the needles are shaped so half way home yer freakin out cause you think theres a spider in yer pants... on the side of the road pants around yer ankled swatting at yer thighs and screamin... it gets awkward quick like

Lol...no lots of juvenile jail bar spruce when I used to thin. That woven tight together half dead crown with short dead rigid branches. After a while your arms would be full of puss pimples.
Second day back in the patch was never fun. The cratches
start burning from the sweat and sun and you start kicking yourself for not having a long sleave. Good times.

Back