Help choosing Stihl Kombi

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3064.JPG For home use you can get by with no issues using the KM-56. I've had mine for 4 years and run it for at least an hour a week between edging, string trimming, running the tiller, and the hedge trimmer. Basic maintainence and using canned fuel from a big box store has left me pleased with my investment. Unless you are running the pole hedge trimmer or the tiller/sweeper extensively I am not sure the extra power and expense of the commercial units is needed. On the blower side I bought a BG-86 for its maneuverability and it seems to have more than enough power. But, it was quite expensive for a single use tool as a homeowner.

I think I will get another 130 rather than the more complex 131, as far as vibration never noticed any unless wads of string or weeds get wrapped around cutting head but I use it with shoulder strap and it balances nicely and even with bad back can run a whole tank of gas on a good back day. I love this thing would not even think of a smaller head its best $ i ever spent on lawn care gear with exception to maybe my Sarlo mower

I just remembered that the first dealer I visited, had several of the older models still in stock, and somewhat discounted.
I think I will likely go with the older series and save some bucks, I hope that should still be covered under the same warranty.

I decided I am not going battery operated for the hedge trimmer, I could not find enough info online, at least not as much as I'd like to make me feel comfortable purchasing it. From what I did find, though, it did have positive feedback.

I did try holding it in the store, and I am not sure if it was that much lighter compared to the KM91R + straight hedger. It probably is by numbers, it just was not too big of a difference for me personally.

The adjustable kombi hedger attachment on the other hand was a different story, I found that much heavier than the straight attachment. Even just holding it at the store my forward hand was struggling, I can only imagine how it would feel after going through the whole hedge.

I think I have read there are straps that can be used, but not sure how much it would help with the hedger. It was the weight of the trimmer blade that was too much for me, or maybe it was just the length of the attachment, making it really unbalanced and me struggling to hold it.

So now I am somewhat decided on

- Older series KM90, KM110, or KM130
- Straight hedge attachment
- Straight shaft string trimmer attachment
- Blower att

The KM90 is about $80 cheaper than the $130, and it can likely work just fine with all these attachments so that is what I will likely get (if they still have it in stock)
The only potential future purchase I see myself making is the edger, and while the KM90 will probably work fine, I have read there are cases where if the soil is too compacted or wet, the KM90 can struggle, while the KM130 will have no issues. I am not sure how often that would be the case.

To be honest, because this is for my personal use, and maybe an occasional side job, even the KM56 might work just fine, but I usually like buying better quality, and the commercial unit will make me a little bit more comfortable (although my wallet may not quite agree)

As Stihl don't offer a short shaft option for the hedgetrimmer your stuck with a minimum length that is too long making it a bit cumbersome. However if you have experience doing hedges you know the importance of articulating blade adjustment. It allows you so many options to tackle the job much easier. I'd get the km-56 before the 4-mix's you've chosen. But I think you have been set on what you want all along. Hope it works out good for you.

What do you think between KM56 and KM94 ?
From what I understand they might have similar power at full throttle, but 94 might would have more power mid range, or am I wrong in my assumptions ?

I was going to go to older series KM90/KM110/KM130 because it felt like I would save on the discount, and still get a powerful engine, but I guess I would save even more if going with the KM56.

The KM56 is an odd one, most of the sales persons I talked to said it would be perfectly fine and good enough for me, saying they have sold tons and never had complaints.
Just one mentioned that if I am using the edger, I should consider one of the commercial units, he even said the KM94 might not be enough for the edger attachment.
Generally reading on forums, I see people saying "I'd skip the KM56 and move up", but to be honest, not sure if they have actually tried it.

I did give the adjustable hedge attachment another try this morning, and for some reason it did not feel as heavy as last time.

Maybe because last time it was the first thing I tried, before moving to look at the alternatives, where now I came to it after I tried the battery operated one, and the straight kombi one, so maybe was somewhat warmed up :)

Or maybe I just did not hold it correctly / the same the last time, either way I feel like it may be something I can probably get used to, I am not going to do hedges that often anyway.

I called the dealer today to make an appointment tomorrow to go in and get the KM130.
I chose the KM130 over KM131 because it is discounted / cheaper by about $40, and I thought they are more or less the same anyway, so might just as well save some.

But I just looked at the online specs, KM131 is 4.4 kg, and the KM130 is 4.6 kg , and now I am somewhat reconsidering this.
Would the extra 200 grams on the power engine be noticeable ?
That is close to 5% extra weight, by that logic to me it seems like something that would be somewhat noticeable.

And this is with the KM131 longer length to coupling sleeve:
KM131: 94 cm, KM130: 92cm.

I do not know if I understand the vibration level data, but it looks like to me that the KM131 is much better.
KM131: 6,1 / 6,5 m/s², KM130: 9,7/9,4 m/s²

If your just using it at home for an hour or so occaisionally 200grams ain't no big issue. Holding on to it for several hours straight every gram makes a difference. This is another reason I voted you get the km94. Often what a pro pays for in high end equipment is a high power to weight ratio and comfort of operation. The 4mixes don't excel in this area. The km-94 has a much better air filter too. The km130 is a decade+ year old design that has some great attributes but is not loved by all. I have both, use them commercially pole sawing, extended hedge trimming and as brushcutter. When I need a powerfull brushcutter I use a clearing saw with bull handle and harness. When I need a blower I either use a handheld bg86 or backpack. The km-94 will most likely have more power than you need and be lighter more nimble and with the 2mix strato engine. Its a much newer unit. I thought I'd use my km130 with pole saw attachment with the torque they produce being able to rest the chain on the limb and pull the trigger and KNOW the chain would instantly turn, but I always pick up the km94 when off to work for hours on end.

I ended up getting the KM131R, with the blower and straight shaft trimmer. Hoping to get the new hedge trimmer attachment (145) when it becomes available.

No first hand experience yet (darn that rain...), but the specs look like they did try to make the new generation somewhat easier to use.
They have much better vibration level (unless it is just marketing), and are a little bit lighter.
The choke also opens automatically when you press the throttle trigger (not sure if this was the case with the KM130)

Unfortunately, they also somehow managed to make them louder.

Here are some specs that I gathered
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KM56........4.3 kg.....8.5/7.7 m/s2.....96 dB(A)........533 cfm....139 mph
KM94........4.0 kg.....7.2/7.2 m/s2.....95 dB(A)........490 cfm....130 mph
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KM90.......4.5 kg.....6.8/7.0 m/s2.....95 db(A).........could not find info, I guess same as KM91R
KM100.....4.5 kg.....8.9/8.7 m/s2.....95 db(A)
KM130.....4.6 kg.....9.7/9.4 m/s2.....99 db(A)
KM91.......4.4 kg.....6.3/5.4 m/s2.....99 db(A).......556 cfm....145 mph
KM111.....4.4 kg.....5.7/5.0 m/s2.....99 db(A).......556 cfm....145 mph
KM131.....4.4 kg.....6.1/6.5 m/s2.....101 db(A).....603 cfm....157 mph
BG86.......4.4 kg..............................70 db(A).......459 cfm....154 mph
BR200.....5.8 kg..............................70 db(A).......406 cfm....132 mph
BR450....10.6 kg.............................77 db(A).......642 cfm....186 mph
BR600.....9.8 kg..............................75 db(A).......712 cfm....201 mph

I guess I got the loudest machine, but is little lighter than the KM130, and much less vibration.
It also looks like the blower would do very good, and comparable to BG86 and BR200.

Although, I am not sure what these numbers are for (if for the flat or round nozzle).
I read somewhere on a forum, that the KM131's 157mph is with a flat nozzle and it does only 121mph with the round one (which it comes with).
while the BG86 154mph is the round nozzle, and can do 190mph with the flat one.
If that is the case, than the KM131 blower will actually be significantly weaker than the BG86.

If this proves to be the case and I find it too weak in the next 7 days, I can always return it and get the KM94R + BG86 which is the other option I was considering. But this way KM131 and blower) it ends up being $90 or so cheaper, so I am hoping it will be powerful enough.

with the 130 i have you have to move choke by hand, I know they changed the gas caps since I got my wonder what else they changed. I was going to go get another 130 today but dealer closed at noon. The price at my local dealer is 370, no one local actually has a 131. I never thought about the vibration. the 130 is the 4 cycle engine has tons of torque but maybe not quite as many rpm's as the homeowner yardboss stuff, just a guess as to reason for the blower stats. the blower needs rpm's not torque power. I'm thinking of getting the bed redefiner to chew up weeds growing around my newly planted trees. has anyone used that attachment

I don't think they have. It still comes with the round opening. Though one dealer mentioned that there is a flat tip for it, but they did not have it in store and would have had to be ordered.

It is a little misleading though, how in the catalogue they are listing the numbers for the flat nozzle (if what I read on another forum is right), where it actually comes with the round one. Hell, even the pictures of it are showing the round nozzle.
There is not even a fine print specifying what it is for, it just says "at nozzle". So my assumption obviously was that those numbers represent the round one, and will be what I get when I purchase this. Well apparently not so.

On the other hand, the specs for the dedicated blowers are for their round nozzles, meaning they can go even higher when used with the flat nozzle.

I used those numbers to compare the attachment vs a dedicated one, in making my purchase decision, and do feel a little misled.
Unfortunately even with so much online research I did before making the purchase, for some reason I only actually found out about this discrepancy in the way the listings are done, just now after the purchase.

I do hope though this one will be powerful enough and not have any shaft issues later on (as I have read can happen), so maybe I'll forget all about it.

I tried the blower and grass trimmer today for the first time.

The blower just blew the rocks off the gravel, had to blow them back in. It's more than enough powerful for my needs, likely the dedicated ones would have been too much anyway.

The KM131R with the grass trimmer is also extremely torquey and powerful, also too much I feel like. I am somewhat considering going back and replacing this for either the KM91 or the KM94 if dealer is ok. This will definitely be underutilized if I keep it.

Wish I could have also tried it with the hedge trimmer though, but do not own the attachment yet. Maybe it would be really useful when that time comes.
With the power it has though, it makes me doubt there would be any reason for the KM94 or KM90 to not be enough for hedge trimming too.

Get the KM-94....I told ya!! I often run two extension poles with the hedgetrimmer and the KM-94 has no issues....it actually moves the blades faster as its a higher RPM engine. The extra torque of the km131 is not worth its weight and bulk IME for the kombi tools. If your running a 300mm clearing blade....well you want more power than the 131 anyway.

Yeah the 130 is a beast with the line trimmer. Overkill for my 3/4 acre yard but whatever. The blower runs well and the hedge clippers have plenty of power. My dad and I share the saw attachment and it cuts like a laser.

If i was running it all day I'd probably go with the 94 as well.

Well I just replaced it with the KM94R, I will likely try it out later today or tomorrow morning.

I somehow feel like I will miss the power, but the KM131R was too much for grass trimming (which I will do most of).

Main issue I found with it really was the throttle control, it may have likely improved with experience, but I found it very difficult to control, could never properly hold it half throttle, and a slight press would rev it up full power very easily.

I was torn between the KM90 and the KM94 today, but I worry the KM90 might have had the same issue with the throttle. Others report they see no issues with the 4-mix throttle control, for me personally it was a bit of a struggle. To be honest I have not tried the KM94 yet, but I have heard is somewhat easier, and it does have that throttle limiter anyway if I ever need it.

I really like the torque on the 4-mix though, I also like how they are easier to start .. the 94 seems like it will be a bit more finicky, at least requires a longer procedure to get it ready to go.

Anyway, I'm sure the 94 will be good enough for grass trimming, but I am slightly concerned if it will hold up when I start using the hedge trimmer attachment on that 8 foot cedar hedge I have.

I think the 4-mix would have done a better job with that, at least I have the impression it would result in a better finish. Hopefully I don't get disappointed when that time comes. They say they'll have the new hedger attachment mid of May, so fingers crossed.

Not sure if I understand your question fully. I am waiting for the new Kombi 145 degrees attachment. They currently only stock the older 135 which is a bit heavier.

It is the same one for the KM94 and KM131 though, I am just worried having less power may result in not as nice finish.

Latest posts

Back