big oak, 219'around, neighbors want to cut it down, has some fungus at base/WE LOVE THIS TREE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josa

Reaction score
-A limb fell in the neighbors yard. They had tree people come on our property. They said the tree was no good at the base and needed to be cut down. There has to be something to do before removal? Their tree person said the whole tree could fall because the base is rotting.

The tree is beautiful. It doesn't look sick . The base has fungus on it though.

What about pruning or fertilizing .....something

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Find somebody who is Tree Risk Assessment Qualified. Use ISA's "find and arborist feature". It works better if you search by zip code rather than by city name...

Ask about the qualifications of the other person who said it needed to come down. If they have none besides a chainsaw, bucket truck, and bid sheet..........not that they are wrong, not that they don't know what they are talking about, but I'd be leery.

If it has a higher probability of failure and will likely hit something when it comes down, there may be nothing to do.

If it is more of a "moderate" probability of failure, perhaps some crown thinning (PROPER pruning - NOT topping!) could help reduce that potential significantly enough.

If you are leaving it based on the evaluation of a well-qualified arborist, it is probably worth a discussion with you homeowners insurance agent as well...because if it comes down in a bad storm even though it "shouldn't" have you very well may get sued. You wanna know that your insurance will stand by you.

Fertilizing will not strengthen a weak tree.

(pics? of fungus at base)

I don't know about improving the health of the tree, but if the tree is on your property and you want to keep it, no one can force you to cut it down. The neighbor could send you a certified letter advising you of the danger to their home and then if their home were ever damaged by the tree, they or their insurance could sue you, but your homeowner policy should cover you.

I second ATH, you need some one to come out well versed in fungal decay identification, strategy, and assessment...not necessarily a TRAQ person though...many find that program to be a money grab by ISA and those that have it arent necessarily well versed in wood pathogen assessment or biology.

I don't know about improving the health of the tree, but if the tree is on your property and you want to keep it, no one can force you to cut it down. The neighbor could send you a certified letter advising you of the danger to their home and then if their home were ever damaged by the tree, they or their insurance could sue you, but your homeowner policy should cover you.
Homeowner's policy may well NOT cover it if there were notified by a qualified professional that the tree had a high probability of failure.

Also, in some municipalities, they city can force removal of identified hazards...absent that, you are right no body can force them to cut it down.

Then there is the whole "personal responsibility" angle...even if they are legally and financially 'off the hook'; even if nobody can force the removal, wouldn't you want to know if something on your property was likely to injure your neighbor?

get more information...

I second ATH, you need some one to come out well versed in fungal decay identification, strategy, and assessment...not necessarily a TRAQ person though...many find that program to be a money grab by ISA and those that have it arent necessarily well versed in wood pathogen assessment or biology.
I don't entirely disagree with that...especially in areas where TRAQ is required for some municipal work. In Ohio, I'd contend most TRAQ folks are probably those digging deeper into their career (not that those who aren't TRAQ aren't digging deeper, it is just one indicator...I'd say the same of BCMA - both are reflections of personal choices to move forward). I'd also suggest if it ends up in court, that is not a bad label to have. Finally, I'm assuming the OP doesn't know who to call. Gotta start somewhere... Not disagreeing at all, just sharing some thoughts.

-A limb fell in the neighbors yard. They had tree people come on our property. They said the tree was no good at the base and needed to be cut down. There has to be something to do before removal? Their tree person said the whole tree could fall because the base is rotting.

The tree is beautiful. It doesn't look sick . The base has fungus on it though.

What about pruning or fertilizing .....something

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Can you post a picture of the whole tree and this rotting base?

Hey a 2nd op8ni8n. 219ft around? What does that nean?
He,he...I saw that too. He may mean 219" in circumference I'm thinking.
I have Oak limbs drop from time to time as trees grow and get bigger.
Was the limb a natural dried one that just fell off or was it storm damage?
Is tree on your property and does it hang onto his?
Be good to see some pics of it.
Show us what you mean.

Back