new to carving questions and tips needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronmach1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im new to wood carving. Currently im using my stihl ms311 for chunking the logs and my ms250 for most of the carving. Might also try one of my dads ms170 also for smaller work. I am using cottonwood and ash logs right now and may get some basswood or what we consider weed trees, boxelder.
Any issues with using box elder or cottonwood? I notice my ash cracks up pretty quick. And the cottonwood was green a month ago.
I have many requests of people wanting to buy the mushrooms im making. Any suggestions how to price them?
How do you handle or explain the cracking to buyers? Does it turn some buyers away? Should i suggest they let them dry before using protectant on them? Is deck protectant like Thompsons water seal good to suggest?
Thanks for any help guys i may be getting hooked on this and tips etc. would be so appreciated! If you have criticism on my work would help me too, im not real artistic yet and could use the help.

Nice work!!!
Cracking comes with Woodworking, even on dry wood as it exposes areas to new moisture. My advice is to work with as dry wood as you can. Finish carving and stain and then seal as quickly and thoroughly as possible. Thompson's waterseal works ok, but leaves a matte finish. I use two part expoxy for things i want shiny.

Good luck

Nice work!!!
Cracking comes with Woodworking, even on dry wood as it exposes areas to new moisture. My advice is to work with as dry wood as you can. Finish carving and stain and then seal as quickly and thoroughly as possible. Thompson's waterseal works ok, but leaves a matte finish. I use two part expoxy for things i want shiny.

Good luck
Great thanks for the reply! I have seen some of your work and really like it. Especially the double mushroom you did i saw pics of. Where is the epoxy sold?

Back