Husqy 357xp rebuild: what would you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I would like to bring back to life one of my favorite saws; it has a roasted cylinder.

We have options, but I lack experience with some of them. Obviously, we could buy original Husvarna parts, which aren't particularly cheap. Then there are the after-market kits. I am familiar with Meteor, and have had no problems. The other brand, I have never heard of; I am guessing that they are Chinese knockoffs.
Hyway Husqvarna 357XP, Jonsered 2156 cylinder kit 46mm
or the Meteor kit
or the NWP Piston kit.

Factory, Meteor, or cheaper kit?

I am obviously open to other suggestions, too.

Looks as though Bailey's has raised the prices back up on 346 and 357 OEM kits. :( If money is an issue I would go with a Hyway cylinder with a Meteor piston. There is a guy here in Europe sells them for 80 bucks. It is the 46mm not the 47mm unfortunately. Might be worth the shipping.

http://www.dlastore.com/e_store/cat...7xp-357xp-epa-46mm-537248502-w-meteor-piston/

Be sure and have him open and check the cylinder before shipment, I got a bad 45mm cylinder but he sent me a good one with no hastle when I made him aware of it.

I would like to bring back to life one of my favorite saws; it has a roasted cylinder.

We have options, but I lack experience with some of them. Obviously, we could buy original Husvarna parts, which aren't particularly cheap. Then there are the after-market kits. I am familiar with Meteor, and have had no problems. The other brand, I have never heard of; I am guessing that they are Chinese knockoffs.
Hyway Husqvarna 357XP, Jonsered 2156 cylinder kit 46mm
or the Meteor kit
or the NWP Piston kit.

Factory, Meteor, or cheaper kit?

I am obviously open to other suggestions, too.

OEM is the best way to go but if you want to save some money we have had really good luck with the NWP kits. They also come with a 1 year warranty. Just make sure whichever way you go fix the original problem or else it will happen again.

OEM is the best way to go but if you want to save some money we have had really good luck with the NWP kits. They also come with a 1 year warranty. Just make sure whichever way you go fix the original problem or else it will happen again.

Your 357 kit seems to include the needle bearing, while the others do not. The link I posted also does not specify that the kit is for an -XP. I do not know if the homeowner 357 and the XP versions use the same cylinder kits. It seems unlikely.

None of the kits I quoted seem to have the same OEM part number, so I am bit confused by that as well.

My first call would be to spike60. For an oem kit. If ya can't get an oem kit under 150$$ then the next choice would be the hyway kit from hl supply. Check the link in my sig. I run the hyway kits in my husky 350s and love them.

Best of luck

Your 357 kit seems to include the needle bearing, while the others do not. The link I posted also does not specify that the kit is for an -XP. I do not know if the homeowner 357 and the XP versions use the same cylinder kits. It seems unlikely.

None of the kits I quoted seem to have the same OEM part number, so I am bit confused by that as well.
There is no homeowner 357. Contact spike60.

Latest posts

Back