Snakes in the woodpile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't have any rattlers in my part but we make up with our copperheads in the woodpiles and the occasional cotton mouth passing by

Copperheads aren't too bad...just can't see them!

I can't stand the cottonmouths though! We're blessed with 6 species of venomous snakes in these parts... Most common from what I can tell, Cottonmouths, Timber Rattlers, Copperheads, and Pygmy Rattlers. Eastern Diamondbacks are around, but pretty rare. The only one I have never seen, and might not ever see, is the coral snake.

We have some coral snakes but not too common. Neighbor two houses down had one but I haven't seen one on my property yet thank the Lord! The cotton mouths are bad because we have so many and I have little kids.

That snake is big enough to knock you sideways when he hit you. He big and heavy. I remember seeing hyway rest area bathrooms full of them out west looking for heat relief.

Anyone else have this problem???

Just a little timber rattler, but I know the diamondbacks are in there somewhere!!

View attachment 581563
Aren't those timber's nice looking? Fresh shed timber rattler's show off that yellow/black contrast best of all. I look from a distance beyond strike range to admire once inna while otherwise avoid since venom kills all type of cells.
Only cottonmouth I've seen was in creek 7 feet below the gravel road. It headed for hiding place in bank.

Aren't those timber's nice looking? Fresh shed timber rattler's show off that yellow/black contrast best of all. I look from a distance beyond strike range to admire once inna while otherwise avoid since venom kills all type of cells.
Only cottonmouth I've seen was in creek 7 feet below the gravel road. It headed for hiding place in bank.

The Canebrakes can be exceptionally cool, especially when their colors are just right.

Cottonmouths are just plain nasty. Before milling I did some beaver removal work. When the water warms up in March in ain't so fun anymore!

Copperheads aren't too bad...just can't see them!

I'm going to call bull-shite on that one! I have a nose-picking finger that's permanently fooked because of a copperhead bite when I was in 7th grade. Spent a week in the hospital. Hurt like he11. Can't blame the snake, of course, because I was trying to catch him.

Grew up in the country in southeast Louisiana and we had plenty of cottonmouths, copperheads, and rattlers around; had close calls with others, but copperhead was the only poisonous one that got me.

I just mean the ones I've run into don't seem to be terribly aggressive. Neither do the timber rattlers, generally. The moccasins seem the meanest and least likely to retreat. I've stepped over a few copperheads, and they generally just lay there. In fairness, I usually see cottmouths in the summer, and run across the others during hunting season when they are lethargic.

I just mean the ones I've run into don't seem to be terribly aggressive. Neither do the timber rattlers, generally. The moccasins seem the meanest and least likely to retreat. I've stepped over a few copperheads, and they generally just lay there. In fairness, I usually see cottmouths in the summer, and run across the others during hunting season when they are lethargic.

Just giving you a hard time. Copperhead didn't bit me until I tried to grab him. Agree that moccasins/cottonmouths are the nastiest ones that you're likely to come into contact with.

A buddy of mine, at work, said he got bit by a Copperhead or a Rattler. I forget which. He was my dispatcher and he said next time I came in the office he'd show me. So, next time I asked to see scar. I was expecting to see 2 holes and some necrotic tissue scars. Holy cow! The scar looked like he tried to balance a hand grenade on the back of his hand while it blew up. The tissue damage started between his thumb and fore finger and went about 4 inches up his wrist. Said he was sick for quite a while. He was an Army brat and lived all over the world. I'm thinking it may have been when he lived out west, so it may have been a rattler, Joe.

We find copperheads frequently so far they have been small, just as dangerous if they get you. I had a photo of one going straight up a huge poplar in front of my house. So creeped me out. Gravity had no effect. They can come down on you as well.

Back