Help with first bid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need much more practical experience. I may sound blunt but your post reflects that. It has been the killer of this industry a climber learns the knots climbs a few times then thinks he is ready to perform a veterans job. Most accidents can be attributed to lack of proper training do yourself and your friend a favor and admit you do not yet have the skill necessary to take on projects on your own. If you have the desire to do this work go to work for someone that knows wtf he is doing and learn all you can. Remember the old farts in this industry got old for a reason and yes they tend to be assholes "so what", if you can't handle sharp criticism in training you might be better off to bomb out now. Remember this; you need a minimum of 5 years under your belt of real climbing and training to even think you are ready to get insurance , license and compete in the market place. Why are you now unemployed ?

You need much more practical experience. I may sound blunt but your post reflects that. It has been the killer of this industry a climber learns the knots climbs a few times then thinks he is ready to perform a veterans job. Most accidents can be attributed to lack of proper training do yourself and your friend a favor and admit you do not yet have the skill necessary to take on projects on your own. If you have the desire to do this work go to work for someone that knows wtf he is doing and learn all you can. Remember the old farts in this industry got old for a reason and yes they tend to be assholes "so what", if you can't handle sharp criticism in training you might be better off to bomb out now. Remember this; you need a minimum of 5 years under your belt of real climbing and training to even think you are ready to get insurance , license and compete in the market place. Why are you now unemployed ?

With all due respect to you and every other person who has offered input to me, I believe I have already made several things clear, but if I am mistaken I will take another opportunity to reiterate them;

1. I think we can all agree that no matter what, only seeing 1 or 2 pictures of tree jobs is equivalent to only seeing 1 or 2 pictures of a date. Glamor shots are expensive for a reason, and until you are face to face with a tree or a person you don't even begin the process of getting to know them. Which leads me to

2. Until I am face to face with the tree and my buddy, I won't know exactly what he wants, why he wants it or if I am confident that I can achieve his end goal safely, because if I am not 100% convinced that I have the knowledge and skills to do so, I will NOT attempt it.

3. I am not responsible for the brush or wood, aside from making it as neat and manageable as I can.

I haven't felt the need to post my experience, credentials or education because I'm not applying for a job, but I'm not just some dude with a chainsaw and an idea either.

I'm unemployed because that is my choice right now.

Thank you

With all due respect to you and every other person who has offered input to me, I believe I have already made several things clear, but if I am mistaken I will take another opportunity to reiterate them;

1. I think we can all agree that no matter what, only seeing 1 or 2 pictures of tree jobs is equivalent to only seeing 1 or 2 pictures of a date. Glamor shots are expensive for a reason, and until you are face to face with a tree or a person you don't even begin the process of getting to know them. Which leads me to

2. Until I am face to face with the tree and my buddy, I won't know exactly what he wants, why he wants it or if I am confident that I can achieve his end goal safely, because if I am not 100% convinced that I have the knowledge and skills to do so, I will NOT attempt it.

3. I am not responsible for the brush or wood, aside from making it as neat and manageable as I can.

I haven't felt the need to post my experience, credentials or education because I'm not applying for a job, but I'm not just some dude with a chainsaw and an idea either.

I'm unemployed because that is my choice right now.

Thank you
The fact that you don't know if you can safely do said work is enough said. No further credential needed your not ready maybe your allured to working for yourself ideas. Its like myself saying I have ridden horses and fixed fence so I'm a cowboy. It just isn't so and any true cowpoke would know it! Anyway this industry is full of folks who get a minute time under their belt and get cross ways with there mentor and then enter the business.

Jackie, how big do you think those stems are?

Lets try this view:

This looks like a nightmare for an inexperienced groundie even if you knew your stuff up in it. Definitely need a port-a-wrap instead of your winch, and someone who can let the log run a little and slow it down so it doesn't flip you off the top (or snap your rope) when the slack runs out.

img_1295-jpg.581239

I think this one's deceptively difficult.

img_1294-jpg.581238

This tree is obviously growing over the roofline, but what makes it difficult is that there's no horizontal branches on the house side. You're not "limb walking", you'll be double crotched and working suspended while rigging out in space to keep the wood from smacking the house, deck, or fence.

The back side looks pretty simple since you can probably let them drop.

Pro's have any commentary on my assessment?

The fact that you don't know if you can safely do said work is enough said. No further credential needed your not ready maybe your allured to working for yourself ideas. Its like myself saying I have ridden horses and fixed fence so I'm a cowboy. It just isn't so and any true cowpoke would know it! Anyway this industry is full of folks who get a minute time under their belt and get cross ways with there mentor and then enter the business.

Lol.

I sometimes forget how much I love interactions on the internet. Thank you for reminding me!

Jackie, how big do you think those stems are?

Lets try this view:

This looks like a nightmare for an inexperienced groundie even if you knew your stuff up in it. Definitely need a port-a-wrap instead of your winch, and someone who can let the log run a little and slow it down so it doesn't flip you off the top (or snap your rope) when the slack runs out.

img_1295-jpg.581239

I think this one's deceptively difficult.

img_1294-jpg.581238

This tree is obviously growing over the roofline, but what makes it difficult is that there's no horizontal branches on the house side. You're not "limb walking", you'll be double crotched and working suspended while rigging out in space to keep the wood from smacking the house, deck, or fence.

The back side looks pretty simple since you can probably let them drop.

Pro's have any commentary on my assessment?
The challenge is no real good tip I mean they look a bit long and lean, that said , Id have it done and chipped in a day if I was feeling my oats. It definitely is not a novice tree. Neither is the tri-dominant by the shed, really none are beginner trees.

How would you address the proximity to the house and the weak support structure?

I'm asking to learn. I openly admit I don't know a good way to do this one solo.

How would you address the proximity to the house and the weak support structure?

I'm asking to learn. I openly admit I don't know a good way to do this one solo.
It is not a solo job. I can do it with a good groundie but 2 would be better! I would set my pull rope up high on the back side then use my pruner to set ropes out on those limbs have the groundie pull them and hinge cut them to the side! Or I would set up a speedline but it really looks like the limb would fall too far in a speedline set up.

I had considered a good groundie being able to pull a hinged limb to the side and away, but that's a lot of wrangling for one guy.

I don't think anyone's getting a lift back there - the fence is around a pool.

I had considered a good groundie being able to pull a hinged limb to the side and away, but that's a lot of wrangling for one guy.

I don't think anyone's getting a lift back there - the fence is around a pool.
I have a committed 5 to 1 for tip tie and lift or hinge pulling to side etc. Turns those groundies into real pullers lol

Back